• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker In Garage (1 Viewer)

emc

How do I get a woodpecker out of my garage? It's been flying from wall to wall bumping into beams along the way. I left the garage door open hoping that it would fly out, but hours later it's still there. It's now sitting on a beam chirping, any ideas how to get it out?

We used to get birds in our garage on occasion. The best way we found was to make sure all lights inside are off and leave garage door(s) open. They would eventually fly to the natural light.

That's what I thought and that's what I did, but now hours later and the bird is still there. We had the same problem with a woodpecker last year. Other birds that got into the garage managed to find their way out but not the woodpeckers

It seems that woodpeckers are not as willing to fly out of our garage as other birds (such as chickadees). We have gone through the whole process of blocking the light from other windows in the garage and only opening one door but to no avail.... even after many hours of waiting. We even tried placing a looping audio of woodpecker calls outside near the open door. What finally worked this last time is that the woodpecker flew into our house when the back door blew open and I was able to get the bird when it landed behind my plants. We have noticed that fledglings and young birds are the most vulnerable.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Well done on getting the bird free.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back