• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Images' (2 Viewers)

Was the wiggling shadow pic taken soon after the preceding photo? Just wondering if there was a connection....................

I do like the wiggling shadow pic.

Welcome back User - looks like Cuba was right up your street!!!

Cuba was very cool in a hot sort of way Tim!.....and it was a lot harder work than i had expected. The colors were so vibrant 'over there'...it had quite an impact on me..and i think this is reflected in some of my images..[and rendering thereof]...

Other things that had 'an impact' on me were the mozzies....[ouch]!!

ps...we spent much time trying to see blue-headed quaildove...and failed...after many long hot hours being bitten...i enclose a pic of our guide Orlando in 'search-mode' who did his best for us re this elusive and rare quaildove...

Attachments

• 045 - Copy.JPG
    045 - Copy.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 42
Was the wiggling shadow pic taken soon after the preceding photo? Just wondering if there was a connection....................

I do like the wiggling shadow pic.

Chuckle...!

No SoliaryV...there's no connection with the beer cans..;) Actually..i'm quite a 'lightweight' when it comes to beer/lager consumption...! [I prefer a bottle of wine or a few drams of malt whiskey if i'm in the mood]...

The significance of the 'wiggly shadow thing' is really..i suppose...the contrast between the exterior of buildings...the brightness and beauty...compared to what images lurk within...[if that doesn't sound too pretentious]...?

Here's a couple more shadowy images that just took my eye...for some reason...:smoke:
I can never seem to 'switch off' when it comes to these 'little things' and moments in time....

Attachments

• DSC03620 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03620 - Copy.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03528 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03528 - Copy.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 43
ooh, those crisscrossed shadows on the brickwork! I can see the interest in that one. The darker areas of the background 'encased' in the shadows like a little window. Strange, I notice I often paint gaps in between branches this way, don't know why.

hard to keep up with you but love your pic,s

Ta Arthur!...i do tend to get a bit carried away....but there's just so much 'stuff' out there that attracts me...!
I went out for half an hour a while back and came back with many images...here's a few...:eek!:

ps...a bleak afternoon weather wise...mainly grey cold and wet...a lone buzzard cruising the winds...
In farm buildings i always find things of interest...plus of course...bark beetle natural designs enhanced by the rain....

Attachments

• 008 - Copy.JPG
    008 - Copy.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 016 - Copy.JPG
    016 - Copy.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 029 - Copy.JPG
    029 - Copy.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 035 - Copy.JPG
    035 - Copy.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 33
  • 021 - Copy.JPG
    021 - Copy.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 29
ooh, those crisscrossed shadows on the brickwork! I can see the interest in that one. The darker areas of the background 'encased' in the shadows like a little window. Strange, I notice I often paint gaps in between branches this way, don't know why.

They make for interesting compositions don't they Nick..?

ps....while i'm still on-line i might as well indulge further on this afternoons textures.....[apologies for drifting out of Cuba for a while]....;)

pps...this bark beetle design is the same one i posted waaayyy back in thread...but everytime i see it...different light etc...i always want to capture it's beauty....[or try to]...!

Attachments

• 022 - Copy.JPG
    022 - Copy.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 023 - Copy.JPG
    023 - Copy.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 35
  • 025 - Copy.JPG
    025 - Copy.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 024 - Copy.JPG
    024 - Copy.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 33
being a bit of a bug fan I d love those bark beetle photos. They certainly like to use up all available space.

I have to agree with Nick on the shadows of the stools on the floor photo. It's great how the shadows and floor both seem to be predominant and snaking within each other.

Also your description the movements lurking in the shadows reminds me of some time I spend in Costa Rica. The only place where I've had cocktails where the bouncers had sawn off shotguns and stood slightly hidden in the shadows of the entrance. Nice margaritas though. B :)

being a bit of a bug fan I d love those bark beetle photos. They certainly like to use up all available space.

I have to agree with Nick on the shadows of the stools on the floor photo. It's great how the shadows and floor both seem to be predominant and snaking within each other.

Also your description the movements lurking in the shadows reminds me of some time I spend in Costa Rica. The only place where I've had cocktails where the bouncers had sawn off shotguns and stood slightly hidden in the shadows of the entrance. Nice margaritas though. B :)

Just for you then Mosca...here's a couple of shots of a BIG bug that i saw in Costa Rica...

ps...i apologize for the quality but i've just hastily 'snapped' them from my photo collection of oversea's trips....!

pps...and no...the big beetle isn't trying to mate with my cigarette lighter...;)

Attachments

• 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 39
Great!!!!!!!!:t:
I love these lolloping beetles. Almost like a mad tortoise of the bug world. I have no idea what type of rhino beetle that is but it's a bigg'n.
Thanks for posting.

Great!!!!!!!!:t:
I love these lolloping beetles. Almost like a mad tortoise of the bug world. I have no idea what type of rhino beetle that is but it's a bigg'n.
Thanks for posting.

This rhino beetle certainly put the wind up a couple of my mates as we sat waiting for food...[i thought at first that the waiter was delivering us a lobster]!

Even i couldn't 'make up' the most extreme and miraculous creatures that inhabit this planet....:smoke:

Blimey! I reckon you could stick a saddle on that and go for a canter! The biggest beetle I ever encountered was a male stag beetle that literally flew into my head whilst I was sitting in a pub garden minding my own business.

Mike

Blimey! I reckon you could stick a saddle on that and go for a canter! The biggest beetle I ever encountered was a male stag beetle that literally flew into my head whilst I was sitting in a pub garden minding my own business.

Mike

I think that 'big bug' is a Hercules [rhino] Beetle....and it was...by far...the largest beetle i have ever seen!

Anyway...[bugs aside]....i haven't had too much time since returning from Cuba to 'play' on the computer...
I've really got to start organizing files/images...[the boring bit]...in order to keep on top of these 'things/pix' that i do.....

In the meantime i attach some mushrooms for your consumption.....!

Attachments

• 039 - Copy.JPG
    039 - Copy.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 040 - Copy.JPG
    040 - Copy.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 061 - Copy (2).JPG
    061 - Copy (2).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 31
Here's an image that you can't get away from in Cuba.....[my regards to Che and Warhol]....B :)

Attachments

• 005 - Copy (2).JPG
    005 - Copy (2).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 005 - Copy.JPG
    005 - Copy.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
Even i couldn't 'make up' the most extreme and miraculous creatures that inhabit this planet

I agree land sea and air there are always some weirdos. I'm lucky enough to have a pair of Damon diadema and every time I see them I think, " what the....."

Ché is also popular in Andalucía too.

Having been goin thru my mates Cuba pix....found this one of a spider Mosca....enjoy!

ps...and as i'm posting stuff....i might as well stick a few images of wet wood that i took today....[birding was rubbish...but i thought this woodpile looked good]...;)

pps...back to Cuba in a bit...[unless i get sidetracked....again]...!

Attachments

• IMG_9324Spider.jpg
    IMG_9324Spider.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 003 - Copy.JPG
    003 - Copy.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 005 - Copy.JPG
    005 - Copy.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 39
one thing I'm coming to realise more and more with your photos is that nature IS the absolute master of art, and a great artist isn't one that 'creates' great works, but merely some 'human' medium to make the beauty of nature understandable to the many.

one thing I'm coming to realise more and more with your photos is that nature IS the absolute master of art, and a great artist isn't one that 'creates' great works, but merely some 'human' medium to make the beauty of nature understandable to the many.

Wonderful words Nick..!

I realize that i cannot compete with 'nature'...[not with my limited artistic abilities]!..so instead find simple pleasures in acting as a 'medium' of sorts...[tho sometimes i doubt that i am actually a 'human' medium]...;)

Before the real rainy season arrives in Cuba there are a multitude of fantastic dry season designs....

I include a couple of 'dry' and 'wet' images for contrast and your perusal....all natures 'art'......

Attachments

• DSC03579 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03579 - Copy.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03586 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03586 - Copy.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03591 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03591 - Copy.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03530 - Copy.JPG
    DSC03530 - Copy.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 35
hope my words were understood, it takes an amazing human being to have the eyes to 'big up' nature (loathsome words), and certainyl wasn't trying to 'diss' you, (even more loathsome words).

Another set of beautiful objects in glorious settings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back