• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asahi Pentax 7X50 (1 Viewer)

stol2004

Hi guys!
I need your opinion for a binocular. I have found an Asahi Pentax 7X50 for 30€ and I'm wondering if it worth the money...
Any of you have any experience with these type of binoculars? how are they compared to the top ones or to the modern ones ?
Thank you

Attachments

• 62_-1421253186.jpg
    62_-1421253186.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 433
If they have gold coatings on eyepieces, don't bother as severe colour cast.
This was a crazy idea quickly dropped.
If not, worth 30 euros if good condition and collimated.

Just because its a Pentax don't expect much.
As said above the horrid coatings give a green tint to the view, and they are not made by Pentax.

Just because its a Pentax don't expect much.
As said above the horrid coatings give a green tint to the view, and they are not made by Pentax.

Now Simon, be nice. In . . . THEORY. . . the gold wasn't necessarily a bad idea. In execution, it just GOT that way. More annoying (to me) was the glare from backlight on the EPs destroyed any value that might have been attained from any gold that might have been on the objectives.

You could, of course, have the lenses re-coated. That operation would cost at least ten times the cost of a new bino. But on the bright side, that bino carried MANY other names on its backplates--including Nikon. Of course, Nikon had the good sense to leave the gold alone.

Bill

PS Simon: Send me a real email and let me know what's happening in your world, these days.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back