• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting my first real pair of bins (1 Viewer)

Hi all!

Ive been using my dads 20 year old Nikon 12x50 bins for some time, looking out from my balcony over the city.
Been testing some Zeiss Conquest HD in a shop but its really hard to compare when different shops have different bins.
I think however that the Conquest HD 8x32 surely would be really good. But maybe a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 is good enough? I know only I can answer that, but I've never tried the Nikon. Looking for some of your experience.
I like wide FOV and sharp and clear image.

/Regards Evert

:hi:
Hi Evert,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

I've been using a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 as my "car binocular" for several months. I have no complaints about it at all. It is certainly more than "good enough" at just under the $400.00 I paid for it which is several hundred dollars less than the Conquest 8x32. The Monarch 7 range of binoculars is Nikon's best mid-range priced binoculars.

See if you can find one to try out. It is smaller and lighter in weight than the Conquest (it will fit into the pockets of a safari jacket) and it has a very wide field of view; one of the widest in the 8x30/32 class of binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
If you can hold the 12x, then 10x or 8x will work. Nikon Monarch 7 is not terribly heavy at 42mm.

If you are undecided on 10x or 8x...you might be..then best to get Prostaff 10x to start with. Looking off a balcony 10x is good, up a tree 8x.

Hello Evert .... Welcome back to the Forum!

I have the Monarch 7 8X30 and it is a very good binocular. I do not have the Zeiss 8X32 Conquest HD but have looked at it multiple times and had an opportunity to use it in the field off and on at a festival last month. It was the one that impressed me the most of all the offerings at the festival, considering performance, cost, and my own needs and preferences.

The Nikon selling point is it's small size and especially the light weight. I consider it more of a special purpose binocular. I bought it for hiking when I wanted to have a binocular in case I came across something interesting to look at but did not want anything heavy. It is not my choice for when the goal is viewing specific, such as bird watching or game spotting.

As a general rule, there is no free lunch in optics. The price to pay for the small size and light weight with this Nikon is ease of use, specifically in eye placement. It is fussy in getting the binoculars lined up with the users pupils. If not right on, then one will experience black outs (flashes of black off to the sides). I suspect part of this is due to the small exit pupils and I also suspect a complex eye piece design to allow for that wide field of view. Also, the extended eye cups for viewing without glasses could be a little longer. The good news is that it is much friendlier than a small compact binocular.

One other issue is that it may exhibit glare under certain conditions. I have had very few problems with glare, but there are several posts here where members have returned the Nikon because of the glare handling.

The Zeiss 8X32 Conquest HD may be the most impressive binocular in the Zeiss lineup considering price, performance, and ergonomics. Optically it may not be up to the Zeiss HT or SF, but it is very good and it does it with a much smaller and lighter package and at a lot lower price.

Eye placement was no problem for me when using the Conquest last month. Although the Nikon has a larger field of view (FOV) at 435 ft or 145 meters, the FOV of the Conquest is 420 ft or 140 meters and that is also considered quite generous. I like binoculars with a wide FOV, but in this case, I prefer the easier eye placement of the Conquest over the somewhat wider FOV of the Nikon.

Zeiss had the Conquest on display each morning at various observation decks during the festival I attended. It never occurred to me to do a comparison between the Nikon 8X30 (which I had on the deck at the time) and the Conquest because I never thought of them as being competing products. They seem to me to go after different buyers.

Just going by memory (risky), I bet the Zeiss would edge the Nikon in brightness and contrast with a somewhat more neutral color balance. Build quality appears good on both, but the Zeiss seems more robust, probably because it weighs a little more. I did not experience any glare issues with the Conquest out on the deck during the several days I tried it, and from what I read, the Zeiss does not seem to have significant glare issues.

You might want to check into the customer service and warranty in your country. There are multiple posts on this Forum complaining about poor Nikon customer service in some parts of Europe. Overall, Zeiss seems to get good reports in Europe from what I have read.

Bottom line, if small size and low weight are a priority, then the Nikon is the way to go. However if you are looking for a general purpose binocular with full size performance and are willing to pay the extra money, then go with the Conquest. Both provide and excellent view. If I were looking for just one binocular and choosing between the two, I would easily go with the Zeiss Conquest 8X32. Actually, I suspect I will end up getting one sometime next year. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
I think however that the Conquest HD 8x32 surely would be really good. But maybe a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 is good enough?

/Regards Evert

We own both of these two binoculars. The Conquest HD was my main viewing bino a few years ago, but when my wife decided she wanted a good bino, she appropriated it because of it's generous eye relief (she wears eyeglasses when viewing). The M7 was not purchased to replace the Zeiss, but was only purchased because I found a place that for several hours had new ones on sale for $229 when they were first introduced. Couldn't pass that up, even though we really did not need it.

Compared side by side, the Conquest HD does provide a slightly sharper view. However, the difference is very, very small, and in all other aspects the view is even more similar. If push came to shove, I would say that the Conquest HD does provide the better view overall. But only by a smidge*.

However -- when one takes the prices into consideration, the much less expensive M7 provides much more performance for the dollar or krona spent than does the Zeiss. The view is so close that I would be happy to state that the M7 is the better buy when you consider what you are getting for the money. I would be happy with either bino, and in fact I prefer the M7 because of it's greatly decreased bulk/weight as compared to the Conquest HD. The only reason why I don't get rid of the Conquest HD is because it provides enough ER for my wife to use, whereas the M7 falls a mm or two short.

A few areas where they differ: the Q-HD has a better neckstrap and case (it should, considering it's cost). The M7's objective covers are hugely better. The Q-HD's is the worst in all binoculardom, the M7's one of the best. The M7's color is slightly warmer. Actually, most binos are slightly warmer than the Q-HD. Both focus wheels are devoid of backlash - the M7's is slightly smoother and easier to turn. The M7 will show glare when pointed towards a low-positioned sun, moreso than the Q-HD. Correct eye placement goes a long way towards reducing this.

To sum up -- if quality of view is paramount, then get the Q-HD. Otherwise, I would say get the M7, as long as the ER works, of course.......

*let me know if you are unfamiliar with this term

If you can hold the 12x, then 10x or 8x will work. Nikon Monarch 7 is not terribly heavy at 42mm.

If you are undecided on 10x or 8x...you might be..then best to get Prostaff 10x to start with. Looking off a balcony 10x is good, up a tree 8x.

Sorry, meant to say 10x52

My user case is watching the view 2-3 miles away. Maybe I'll be better off with a 10x or 12x?
The Canon 12x36 IS III is the same price as the Conquest HD 8x32.
Confusion is great!

Hello Evert .... Welcome back to the Forum!

I have the Monarch 7 8X30 and it is a very good binocular. I do not have the Zeiss 8X32 Conquest HD but have looked at it multiple times and had an opportunity to use it in the field off and on at a festival last month. It was the one that impressed me the most of all the offerings at the festival, considering performance, cost, and my own needs and preferences.

The Nikon selling point is it's small size and especially the light weight. I consider it more of a special purpose binocular. I bought it for hiking when I wanted to have a binocular in case I came across something interesting to look at but did not want anything heavy. It is not my choice for when the goal is viewing specific, such as bird watching or game spotting.

As a general rule, there is no free lunch in optics. The price to pay for the small size and light weight with this Nikon is ease of use, specifically in eye placement. It is fussy in getting the binoculars lined up with the users pupils. If not right on, then one will experience black outs (flashes of black off to the sides). I suspect part of this is due to the small exit pupils and I also suspect a complex eye piece design to allow for that wide field of view. Also, the extended eye cups for viewing without glasses could be a little longer. The good news is that it is much friendlier than a small compact binocular.

One other issue is that it may exhibit glare under certain conditions. I have had very few problems with glare, but there are several posts here where members have returned the Nikon because of the glare handling.

The Zeiss 8X32 Conquest HD may be the most impressive binocular in the Zeiss lineup considering price, performance, and ergonomics. Optically it may not be up to the Zeiss HT or SF, but it is very good and it does it with a much smaller and lighter package and at a lot lower price.

Eye placement was no problem for me when using the Conquest last month. Although the Nikon has a larger field of view (FOV) at 435 ft or 145 meters, the FOV of the Conquest is 420 ft or 140 meters and that is also considered quite generous. I like binoculars with a wide FOV, but in this case, I prefer the easier eye placement of the Conquest over the somewhat wider FOV of the Nikon.

Zeiss had the Conquest on display each morning at various observation decks during the festival I attended. It never occurred to me to do a comparison between the Nikon 8X30 (which I had on the deck at the time) and the Conquest because I never thought of them as being competing products. They seem to me to go after different buyers.

Just going by memory (risky), I bet the Zeiss would edge the Nikon in brightness and contrast with a somewhat more neutral color balance. Build quality appears good on both, but the Zeiss seems more robust, probably because it weighs a little more. I did not experience any glare issues with the Conquest out on the deck during the several days I tried it, and from what I read, the Zeiss does not seem to have significant glare issues.

You might want to check into the customer service and warranty in your country. There are multiple posts on this Forum complaining about poor Nikon customer service in some parts of Europe. Overall, Zeiss seems to get good reports in Europe from what I have read.

Bottom line, if small size and low weight are a priority, then the Nikon is the way to go. However if you are looking for a general purpose binocular with full size performance and are willing to pay the extra money, then go with the Conquest. Both provide and excellent view. If I were looking for just one binocular and choosing between the two, I would easily go with the Zeiss Conquest 8X32. Actually, I suspect I will end up getting one sometime next year. Let us know what you decide.

Eye placement is VERY important, I got a pair of quite cheap 10x42 bins from my whife this x-mas and they are super sensitive regarding eye placement. So that's definitely a priority.

Evert ..... The Monarch 7 10X30 has a smaller exit pupil than the 8X30, which generally means eye placement will be more fussy because of the smaller exit pupil.

Exit pupil is that circle of light seen coming out of the eye piece lens. The smaller the diameter, the more difficult it can be to line up with the user's pupils. The diameter can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the front objective lens by the magnification. Thus a 10 power binocular with a 30mm diameter objective lens (10X30) has an exit pupil diameter of 3.0 mm. An 8X32 has an exit pupil 4.0 mm. My general guideline is to stay near 4mm or above for ease of use.

I tried the 10X30 Nikon Monarch 7 in store and was disappointed. Eye placement was touchy and it exhibited bad glare issues. I suspect the exit pupil diameter was smaller than the dilation of my pupils and so my eyes were picking of the reflected light from the edge of the pupils. If the exit pupils were larger than my pupils, that reflected light would have been outside my area of vision. The Monach 7 30 mm series does seem to show a lot of reflected light at the edge of the exit pupils. I rejected that particular model immediately. On the other hand, a couple of members have purchased it and like it. It is a model that should be purchased from a vendor with a good return policy in case things do not work out. Actually, that is true for all models.

Here is an excellent post by Henry Link discussing the issue ......

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2955784&postcount=25

A couple of members have posted in the past that a good 10X32 class execution is more difficult to achieve, so expect to spend more for a higher end binocular in that class. I have not tried a 10X32 Conquest so I can not say how it handles eye placement and glare. It is not an inexpensive binocular and the 8X32 version is first rate, so I would definitely check out the 10X32 Conquest if I were looking for something in that class.

I do have a Nikon EDG-I in a 10X32 and as opposed to my experience with the Monach 7 10X30, the EDG is on the other side of the spectrum. Eye placement is easy and it handles glare exceptionally well. However, being considered an alpha level binocular, it carries a high price tag if bought new and not on sale. Several members have reported on the Swaro 10X32 with great results and the only issues are those also common with the 8X32 SV EL. The point is you can get a good 10X32 class binocular, but it may require spending more.

My user case is watching the view 2-3 miles away. Maybe I'll be better off with a 10x or 12x?
The Canon 12x36 IS III is the same price as the Conquest HD 8x32.
Confusion is great!

If your primary use is long distance viewing, it would strongly favor the Canon, because it allows you to make full use of the higher power. I don't see the advantage from a smaller, lighter, lower power glass for your application.
In fact, would not a scope be more useful to you?

I have tried both the Nikon and Kite Optics versions of the 8x30 Monarch 7/Lynx HD. Both of them showed a tremendous amount of glare in more situations than I was comfortable with--for example, even when I was only looking at treetops against an overcast sky. Sharpness was excellent, and the eyecup motion on the Monarch 7 is the smoothest I've experienced. But between the glare and the requirement for perfect eye placement, I ruled these out for daily use. The 8x32 Conquest HDs are my primary birding binocular and I don't ever anticipate needing anything more. I was out in some steady rain this afternoon, and those Lotutec coatings really make a big difference when it comes to keeping the rain from sticking to the glass and making for very easy cleanup afterwards. To my knowledge Nikon still hasn't developed a hydrophobic/abrasion resistant coating for their sport optics.

If your primary use is long distance viewing, it would strongly favor the Canon, because it allows you to make full use of the higher power. I don't see the advantage from a smaller, lighter, lower power glass for your application.
In fact, would not a scope be more useful to you?

That was my first thought, but trying one out at a store I felt very limited to only use one eye. Not at all relaxing.

Hi,

optically the Conquest 10x42 is probably the winner but I think with your extreme range viewing you'll be better off with a stabilized or tripod supported hi mag bino - if a scope is not an option.

So look for either the Canon 12 or 15x examples or another brand in that area of magnifications plus a tripod. Btw. soviet Tento or russian Kronos 20x60 bins are quite well regarded in astro circles and can be had for less than 100 dollars for a good example. I'm sure they'll give you more detail at 2 klicks when on a tripod than any unstabilized hand-held bin.

Or rethink your decision regarding the scope. Or win the lottery and get a monster bino like the Docter Aspectem or Kowa Highlander ranges... but be prepared to shell out some kilobucks...

Regards,

Joachim

Hi,

optically the Conquest 10x42 is probably the winner but I think with your extreme range viewing you'll be better off with a stabilized or tripod supported hi mag bino - if a scope is not an option.

So look for either the Canon 12 or 15x examples or another brand in that area of magnifications plus a tripod. Btw. soviet Tento or russian Kronos 20x60 bins are quite well regarded in astro circles and can be had for less than 100 dollars for a good example. I'm sure they'll give you more detail at 2 klicks when on a tripod than any unstabilized hand-held bin.

Or rethink your decision regarding the scope. Or win the lottery and get a monster bino like the Docter Aspectem or Kowa Highlander ranges... but be prepared to shell out some kilobucks...

Regards,

Joachim

Wont the small exit pupil of 12x36 bother me?

Hi,

depends on the light. 3mm will only work in daylight and loose contrast quickly in dusk.

Also they take a bit more care with eye placement which can be a problem for some, others get used to it quickly.

Joachim

That was my first thought, but trying one out at a store I felt very limited to only use one eye. Not at all relaxing.

It is possible to put a binoviewer on a scope to avoid that limitation ($$$ for a good one), or to just put a patch over the other eye. ;)

The issue is really what you hope to improve, your view or your flexibility.
If it is the view from the balcony, nothing will beat the scope.
Your Nikons are excellent all round binoculars, just a little bulky. But if you need a more everyday glass, then an 8 or 10x32 is about the maximum size to conveniently carry anywhere.
Help us please, give us your priorities.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back