• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IP camera to watch my bird feeders (1 Viewer)

aeajr

I am interested in setting up a wireless camera to watch my bird feeders so I can view what is going on from my desktop or from my smartphone.

I set up an old android phone on a stand to look out the window with a remote viewing program that comes up on my computer, but the resolution is poor. when I zoom in it is not good. Looking for something that will let me zoom in to the feeders which are about 20 feet away.

I am in the USA. Looking for something around $100 or less if possible. I have a feeling security cameras are not going to give me the resolution I want. Will be for daytime viewing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

No responses. I went ahead with this IP security camera.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a 4X optical and 4X digital zoom. You can't get real close but from about 30 feet away but I can clearly see that there are birds on the feeder and tell sparrows from cardinals, from grackles from mockingbirds. But I don't think I could tell a house sparrow from a song sparrow.

This provides a live feed, allows snap shots, record video. Have only played with the live feed on my android phone and desktop. Have not tried to manipulate photos or video.

The camera has full pan/tilt capabilities. I plan to put us some bird houses in the yard so this will allow my wife to watch them from her desktop or her phone. We can also check up on what the cat is doing. :)

FYI

Good to have some one with experience of such a set up. Folk do occasionally pop up with the same question and it is good to have some one who has tried a solution out.

Sorry I did not respond sooner.

Dericam Outdoor Wireless Security Camera,Outdoor PTZ Camera,Crystal Full HD 1080P,4 X 0ptical Zoom,Auto focus,Pre-installed 32GB Memory Card,S2-32G White.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGTKP34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

【2018 New Arrvial】 Dericam New Wireless Outdoor IP camera with Full HD 1080P solution at 25 fps ,4X optical Zoom lens, Support 2.4G wifi with powerful 5db Antenna included.
【Mini PTZ camera with 4x Optical Zoom 】Dericam Wireless Outdoor PTZ camera with size 8.41*9.25 inch and 4X optical zoom ,The Zoom feature allow you to get closer and cleaner to your target , You could set up outside ,front door , warehouse to monitor your Car , belongs etc.
【Complete 360° Coverage 】Dericam WiFi Camera support 355° Horizontal Pan and 90° Vertical Tilt rotation range,you will not miss any movement . Camera is with 5ft cable ,Easy for you to go through wall when installation.
【Free Secure Personal Data Supports】Supports Remotely Recording and Playback by a Pre-Installed Micro SD card (32G included, supports up to 128GB ) .Available to Set Up a FTP Web Server or NAS to Store Snapshots and Video Recordings, or Email Alerts as a Free Secure Personal Cloud Server. Support Remotely viewed by IOS ,WEB ,Tablet.
【5 Mins easy Setup & 12 months warranty】 Easy Setup & Flexible Compatibility. Quick Setup via iOS and Android Devices by Free Dericam App. Compatible with Third-Party App like Live Cams Pro,Tinycam. Compatible with Blue Iris, Zoneminder, iSpy. Also Dericam system provide the One year warranty and Life time Support.

I realize this is an old post, but thought I would put up my experience if someone is looking for it.

I used a Reolink 5MP HD 2.4/5Ghz Dual Band Wi-Fi Wireless Security IP Camera, Autofocus Bullet with 16GB Micro SD Card (RLC-411WS) to watch my bee hives.

* SEE YOUR HOME IN SUPER HD: Live video streaming in higher resolution of 5-megapixel 3072x1728, that is, 1.4X the resolution of 1440p, with night vision up to 100ft. 4X optical zoom provides a wide viewing angle from 33 Degree to 98 Degree.
* DUAL-BAND WIFI NETWORK CONNECTION: 2.4/5 GHz dual-band Wi-Fi with 2T2R MIMO antennas for strongest network signals. No messy cabling. Waterproof housing for outdoor surveillance.
* SMART MOTION-ACTIVATED ALERTS IN REAL-TIME: Inform you when a home invasion is happening, by emailing photos or 30-second video clips. Support FTP upload.
* EASIEST CLIENT/APP FOR ACCESS CAMERA ANYWHERE: View live videos on a PC/Mac computer locally or remotely anytime. Also stream videos to your iPhone, Android phone via mobile App.
* VIDEO RECORD AND PLAYBACK VIA BUILT-IN 16GB MICRO SD CARD: Record motion detected events and save up to 400 motion events in local SD card, Relink NVR.

While you can do a lot with their iPhone app, I used the desktop app to get the finest control over the configuration such as to save images and videos to an FTP server on motion activation. It's $139 but the images are very good looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back