• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby blackbirds - found dead (1 Viewer)

WendC65

We have been observing blackbirds nesting in one of the bushes in our garden, it has been lovely watching the parents go back and forth with food for their brood. We’d heard chirping coming from the bush so guessed they would be fledging soon. We were extremely sad to find three dead babies on the ground near the bush this morning. A cat was on our fence nearby, but we don’t know how it could have got to the nest to get them, as it’s dense and prickly. It looks like the babies have been attacked, would a squirrel have done this (the bush is near a large oak tree where they live)? We even wondered if another bird or even the parents could have done it?

Hi WendC and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It would appear that the cat is the most likely suspect at the moment, and we have some information on how to protect your birds, in a sticky post which you might find helpful: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=42039

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

It is unlikely that a cat would attack all three chicks and leave them on the ground. A cat might take one chick but would then probably take it back to its home.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back