• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

humming bird feeder for sunbird (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
used to put honey water in small glass cups for sunbirds, they like it, but soon the weavers discover it, and they would not let them near it. so got one of the humming bird feeders that has glass jar and little red flowers over the holes of feeding. filled it with 2 cups of water and 4 Tbsp of sugar. not sure this is enough to attract them.

i have noticed that sunbirds usually attracted more to yellow and orange flowers, i rarely see them on the red hibiscus or any other red flowers.

do you have suggestions on how to make it more attractive to the sunbirds, like should i add color to the sugar water, or should i use red berry juice, or orange juice, or maybe back to the honey water they already like.

How long have you had it up? Hummingbird water is usually made in a 4:1 ratio, 1 cup water 1/4 cup sugar. The other thing I have always been told is don’t put any colored dye in, though juice might be a thing that would work. Another suggestion would be to get an oriole feeder. They are orange and have a slightly wider feeding port than the hummingbird ones do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back