• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can't take a picture (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Everyday with my Nikon D7100 and Tamron 150-600 (new) it refuses to take a shot, just sometimes.
I can only assume it is down to light or focus! has anyone any idea what to look for in the screen when it occurs, so I can narrow down what I am doing wrong.
For now I have found turning off the camera, changing shooting speeds,waiting a few seconds/minutes and or refocusing all have the desired effect of taking pics again.

I assume light or focus or both as this has happened when the weather is not great, misty, dark, damp or all three, not ideal weather but still should be able to shoot a picture.
Any suggestions please, ;-)

I'm not an expert but it sounds like the camera is failing to find focus. Try to focus on something with as much contrast as you can, it may struggle with non contrasty subjects in poor light. If you are sure you are focused you could try switching to release priority rather than focus priority. You could switch to release priority anyway and see if you have any problems with it failing to take pics. If it works ok then you could safely assume a focus issue, I think!

I agree that it could be the AF not locking on to the target. I had this lens for a few months and there were times when it just would not find focus on some birds probably due insufficient contrast,even when the light was good (that was the main reason why I sold it) .
What AF mode are you using and also does this ever happen on a good contrast target.

Okay, my two cents. I was having the same problem with my Nikon D90 and my SIGMA 80-400/4.5-5.6 DG OS.

I removed the lens and cleaned all the contact points on both the lens and camera body with a lintless cloth sprayed with windex. Let it all dry and attached the lens back and so far not one problem.

Okay, my two cents. I was having the same problem with my Nikon D90 and my SIGMA 80-400/4.5-5.6 DG OS.

I removed the lens and cleaned all the contact points on both the lens and camera body with a lintless cloth sprayed with windex. Let it all dry and attached the lens back and so far not one problem.

Well, that's very interesting. I've been having sporadic focus problems with my D7100 which I've been thinking might have something to do with the contacts. I'll buy some Windex and give it a try.

Contacts are always a prime suspect when electronic equipment becomes temperamental.
The best solution afaik (used in the aircraft electronics business) is explained here:
http://mindprod.com/bgloss/contacttreating.html

All the products mentioned are available on Amazon, but not cheap. The price of Stabilant, about $47 for a very small bottle, may make you look on Windex more fondly. Against that, this stuff really works and lasts on the contacts for a very long time, so it is very economical insurance if your lens systems need to perform.

Well, that's very interesting. I've been having sporadic focus problems with my D7100 which I've been thinking might have something to do with the contacts. I'll buy some Windex and give it a try.

And still no problems fugl.

Thanks all, will check and clean the contacts, I am sure sometimes it is the focusing as you have siad.
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back