• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

markjnk

I'm Mark from Ontario Canada. I'm a nature nut, a hunter, an archer, and an artist. All things that make seeing nature in its most vivid form an obsession. About 20+ years ago, I began bird watching as a way to get more in touch with our Canadian birds, and helps pass the time when hunting and things are slow. At that time, newly married, new house, money was tight but I researched and demo'd every glass for months before settling on a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x42. This glass, at the time was an astounding value with tremendous performance for the price, and I was able to buy them for $260. The Swaro open bridge EL's were just emerging on the market and of course I lusted for them, but they were out of my budget by a long margin. I've used the Pentax DCF WP 8x42 faithfully for the last 20+ years and only recently decided to upgrade now that I have the means to do so. This is what brings me to BF and the wealth of knowledge here. I've spent a few weeks lurking the Bin forum and reading about everything I can regarding the Swaro, Leicas and Zeiss, which are the three brands I've decided to focus on. I've bought and sold a few bins already and have a few others in my possession that I'm testing and enjoying.

Thanks for a great forum and resource, its a pleasure to be here.

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I'm Mark from Ontario Canada. I'm a nature nut, a hunter, an archer, and an artist. All things that make seeing nature in its most vivid form an obsession. About 20+ years ago, I began bird watching as a way to get more in touch with our Canadian birds, and helps pass the time when hunting and things are slow. At that time, newly married, new house, money was tight but I researched and demo'd every glass for months before settling on a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8x42. This glass, at the time was an astounding value with tremendous performance for the price, and I was able to buy them for $260. The Swaro open bridge EL's were just emerging on the market and of course I lusted for them, but they were out of my budget by a long margin. I've used the Pentax DCF WP 8x42 faithfully for the last 20+ years and only recently decided to upgrade now that I have the means to do so. This is what brings me to BF and the wealth of knowledge here. I've spent a few weeks lurking the Bin forum and reading about everything I can regarding the Swaro, Leicas and Zeiss, which are the three brands I've decided to focus on. I've bought and sold a few bins already and have a few others in my possession that I'm testing and enjoying.

Thanks for a great forum and resource, its a pleasure to be here.

Hi Mark and welcome to BF!

Your judgment is good.
I remember a well regarded local guide in Panama who likewise carried your model Pentax. His budget was even more constrained than yours, plus these binocs were a tool of his profession, so this was a major decision for him.

At this point, my serious recommendation would be to also consider the Canon 10x42L IS.
Imho, it is a transformative piece of gear, thanks to the stabilization. Optics are excellent, physically it is robust and fully waterproof, yet it sells for half the price of a Swaro.
Obvious disadvantages are that it is heavy and clunky, a device only a mother could love, plus the three year warranty is way too short.
My first one lasted over 9 years before the IS went wonky, I bought another after several unsatisfactory IS repair attempts. The glass works great with or without the IS, but really the IS is what lifts this into a different category.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

At this point, my serious recommendation would be to also consider the Canon 10x42L IS.
Imho, it is a transformative piece of gear, thanks to the stabilization. Optics are excellent, physically it is robust and fully waterproof, yet it sells for half the price of a Swaro.

Also thanks for the recommendation of the Canon IS. Its not something i considered but now will give it a hard look.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back