• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2017 August 18th to August 20th (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Coming up August 18th through August 20th, 2017 is Birdfair, at Rutland Water, England. This is the premier event for birding optics.

The idea of this thread is to get any discussion started on this great event and to give those you can not attend, a forum to post any questions they would like to ask the vendors and hopefully those attending can get some answers.

Let us know if you are planning to attend and if you have anything special on your agenda!

For those attending - Come on back and let us know how it went!

Birdfair Website: http://birdfair.org.uk/

Optic companies listed as attending are:
- Bushnell UK
- Canon
- Celestron
- Hawke
- In Focus
- Kite Optics
- Kowa
- Leica
- Manfrotto
- Meopta
- Nikon UK
- Opticron
- Optics Tri-pod Chair
- Panasonic
- Park Cameras
- RSPB Retail
- Swarovski
- Vanguard
- Viking
- Vortex
- Zeiss

Hopefully I did not omit anyone. There will be many more exhibitors besides the optics companies.

The only new product announcement coming up at Birdfair that I can recall is the new Zeiss high end scope. Zeiss put out a teaser video about a week ago ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tVvID6xaJ4

Some of the new products that have come out since last year that I recall are:
- Zeiss: Terra with new amoring, Victory Pocket binoculars
- Opticron: iMagic and traveler binoculars plus more
- Leica: Trinivid HD 32mm line
- Nikon 100 Anniversary products
- Swarovski: Binoviewer

Please post others that may be of interest for show attendees to check out.

Questions:

For Swarovski:
1. Have there been coating or optic changes to the ProField EL SV models? There are several member posts stating they see a notable difference between the pre and post Profield units.

2. Any new birding related products coming out?

Questions for Nikon:
1. Were any changes made to the Nikon Monarch HG since the announcement at Birdfair last year. One of the vendors said that Nikon USA had required a change of some kind before they would import the model to the U.S. but he did not say what kind of change.

Questions for Zeiss:
1 Any updates on the status of a new high end 32mm line.

This amazing event regularly gets over 20,000 visitors and has hit 30,000. There are stalls selling new books at a discount (mainstream titles not obscure bin-ends) stalls selling secondhand books, travel stalls and many others. There is good food and drinks available too.

It really is worth a visit and there is always the danger and/or pleasure of bumping into a Bird Forum member.

Thanks for posting Bruce.

Lee

Last edited:
It appears to be quite the event! Lee, I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I believe that in years past some of the optics companies have special promotions gong on during the show and they work through some of the retailers that are in attendance. It may be a way to get a nice price savings on a new binocular.

I have a question for Leica as well:

When will the Noctivid 8x32 ready?

My next question, in case they don't have an answer (or don't want to give an answer):

When will people at Leica wake up? :king:

Hermann

In Focus

In Focus has posted that they will have some promotions going on at Birdfair. Purchase of a Zeiss binocular or scope will get you in to a drawing to go birding with Simon King, new drawing each day and a companion is also included. The purchase of any binocular from In Focus of 149 lb or more gets you into a drawing for a 1000 lb voucher for a Naturetrek tour. There will also be some product promoitons during the event.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=349080

Zeiss

I read on Stephen Ingraham's photo blog that he will be attending Birdfair this year, I assume he will be helping out at the Zeiss exhibit. He is a great guy to talk about optics, photography, wildlife and New Mexico Green Chilli Cheese Burgers. I think it has been several years since he was last at Birdfair.

I read on Stephen Ingraham's photo blog that he will be attending Birdfair this year, I assume he will be helping out at the Zeiss exhibit. He is a great guy to talk about optics, photography, wildlife and New Mexico Green Chilli Cheese Burgers. I think it has been several years since he was last at Birdfair.

Yes Bruce, the last time Stephen was at Bird Fair was 2013. Great to get confirmation he is attending.

Lee

I attended the bird fair yearly until emigrating to the antipodese in 2009. great
show do not miss it people.

If you get on a plane now you will be in time for the last day, and I will buy you a coffee! How can you refuse?

Lee

We will be showing the following new models:

ES 80 v4 scope - new dual speed focusser and improved optical performance
Savanna R PC 8x33 and 10x33 binos - addition of phase coating for better contrast performance
T4 Trailfinder compact binoculars, binoculars and monoculars

And these have been launched already but not shown before at Birdfair:

MMS 160 travel scope
MM4 ED scopes
Oregon 4 LE compact binos
Explorer WA ED binos
Traveller BGA ED binos
and of course the Tract Toric, er, sorry Imagic BGA VHD binos

As usual we are selling on behalf of In Focus so their £1,000 Naturetrek promotion applies to qualifying purchases made in our marquee OD12.

We will have some bundle deals on scopes and tripods and the £100 cash back offer on DBA VHD applies to purchases made at Birdfair.

Hope to see some of you there!

Cheers, Pete

Opticron

Thanks Pete. I knew you folks have had a busy year, more than I could remember.

Canon

Question: Could someone confirm that the Canon 10X42 L IS has been discontinued, as recently reported in another thread and if so, well there be a new L series to replace it?

New to Birdfair this year for Canon may be the 10X32, 12X32 and 14X32 announced a couple of weeks ago. Some attendees might want to compare these new models if on display with the older versions to see if there a noticeable improvement with the new IS systems and if they can tell a difference in the two IS modes. Also, will the old similar models be discontinued?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=348394

Last edited:
BruceH;3603906 [/B said:
Could someone confirm that the Canon 10X42 L IS has been discontinued, as recently reported in another thread and if so, well there be a new L series to replace it?

[/url]

Bruce this is still shown as current on the Canon UK website but I have made a note to ask.

Lee

Here is what Bird Fair looks like from the air. Rutland Water, a huge reservoir that is also home to breeding Ospreys, is off the picture at the top.

Thanks for Kingsmead Marquees for the pic.

Lee

Attachments

• Arial%20photo%20Birdfair%20002%202016.jpg
    Arial%20photo%20Birdfair%20002%202016.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 186
Bruce this is still shown as current on the Canon UK website but I have made a note to ask.

Lee

Thanks Lee! It also is still showing on the Canon USA website and as in stock. However Optics Planet says it is discontinued, thus the question of the future of this excellent binocular.

0-Canon IS Discontinued.jpg

What's New?

Zeiss 8x32 SF?

Swarovski 8x32 SLC?

Leica 8x32 NV?

Nikon 8x32 HG?

How about Kowa? Any changes to the Genesis lineup.

Last edited:
I see a freelance wildlife sound recordist, who works a lot with our spokesperson Chris (Packham) and the BBC, is asking those attending this wonderful event to consider boycotting what we of late refer to as "Alpha" optics suppliers due to their production of hunting related products.

Not sure if this chap is a BF member but its almost as if he read my post that suggested this might be the very reason the RSPB was no longer selling the Big Three.

Given I'm looking forward to asking those exhibitors who do offer hunting related kit what their take is on this development it would be good to know if you guys are prepared to cast off the "little red" badge; to name but one, in the interest of the Hen Harrier and the like?

LGM

Given I'm looking forward to asking those exhibitors who do offer hunting related kit what their take is on this development it would be good to know if you guys are prepared to cast off the "little red" badge; to name but one, in the interest of the Hen Harrier and the like?

LGM

There is already a thread that Steve, the site owner, has kept open to discuss the ethics of optics manufacturers selling to the hunting market. This thread is not it.

Here is the thread were it would be best to discuss manufacturer boycotts related to this question .......

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=321058

Thanks.

Sorry to be negative but I had a very frustrating experience at the Nikon stand yesterday. Spent ages choosing new bins (went back 3 times!) and wanted to buy EDG 8 x 32's. Told they didn't have any and to go to the In Focus tent. Went to them but was told "Nikon won't supply us". Back to Nikon who said I could order on their website with delivery in two days. Was told that the price was "£1200 and something" by the Nikon guys and In Focus said they were priced between £1200-1300 when they did supply them. I was extremely shocked to find, when I went online to order that they are £1700+. Why are they even promoting these bins when they can't supply at Bird Fair and why the discrepancy between quoted price. Are Nikon going to honour their sales pitch?

Last edited:
Hmmm decisions, decisions?

This, Glastonbury or a quiet day out (with one of my many bins)?

I'm thinking of charging millions if anyone wants to come on a quiet day out 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back