• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

Super shots of the Firecrest Bob, I haven't managed to photograph these yet.
At Albufera this afternoon, saw a distant female Hen Harrier, blurred photos show the white ringtail and the 5 fingers. A few Spotted Redshank, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, Gargany and Greenshank and 4 Flamingo were at Bishop 1. Sa Roca had 8 Marbled Duck, a Yellow Wagtail and a Temminck's Stint gave close views. A Kingfisher flew across the path from the main entrance only 2 or 3 meters in front of me, but too quick for a photo.

Attachments

• Temminck's Stint_1219.jpg
    Temminck's Stint_1219.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Temminck's Stint_1239.jpg
    Temminck's Stint_1239.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 70
Two Slender-billed gulls at Albufereta, found by Maties. An excellent record.
I am in the north-east of the Island where the storms are raging. I tried to do a seawatch but couldn’t stand up, the waves are enormous quite unlike anything I have ever seen in Mallorca. There might be some more good birds about when it all settles.
Mike

I have heard from our resident Shearwater expert and he says that this bird does indeed look like a Cory’s. He goes on to say that many Scopoli’s are rather strange and that Cory’s has never been officially recorded here before although he heard one in the colony at Cabrera some time ago.
Therefore, the identity swings more in favor of Scopoli’s. He has asked a colleague so if there is any change, I will let you know.Mike

Last edited:
Clive we also had a Stint right outside Sa Roca hide one morning.
We thought Little Stint but looking at my shots the body looks a bit long for Little so maybe Temmincks,i am sure someone will confirm.
Pity we did not bump into each other this time round Clive but maybe next year.
Also posted the only usable shots of the Spotted Crake which we had the good fortune to see one morning from Bishop 1 hide, sadly it only hung around in view for a short time before disappearing again into the undergrowth.
Sadly no shots of Bluethroat which was seen from same hide the next day but only a fleeting glance.
Also Yellow Wagtail from Sa Roca.

Mike, I am pleased we missed the stormy weather, looks like luck shone on us again, like last year every day bar one was perfect birding weather if not a bit chilly at times but the wind direction and speed dictated that.

Bob

Attachments

• BFLS1.jpg
    BFLS1.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 83
  • BFLS2.jpg
    BFLS2.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BRLC1.jpg
    BRLC1.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 71
  • BFSC2.jpg
    BFSC2.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 57
  • BFYW1.jpg
    BFYW1.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi Bob, yes, a pity we didn't bump into each other this time. It looks like you had some great birds that I missed. I think from your photos you have Little Stint judging by the dark legs and the long primaries that extend beyond the tail. But I'm no expert. My bird definitely had yellowish legs and the tail seemed to be longer than the primaries.

Attachments

• Temminck's Stint_1240.jpg
    Temminck's Stint_1240.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 60
Sa Roca, late in the day, a Juv Hen Harrier appeared for a few minutes, 10 Ruff, 2 Temmincks, 3 L. Stints, Purple Heron, 4 Glossy Ibis, Little Bittern calling near by and the single Male Garganey Bishop 1.
Steve.

Re the Shearwater.
The photo has been sent away for further analysis.
It all depends on whether the underwing is grey or black. This will determine which species the bird is most likely to be.
It’s been fun and quite a learning experience. I am Seawatching nearly every day now so I very much appreciate the input from others, thanks.
Two Great skuas were seen today from Porto Colom.
I am at the lighthouse at Capdepera in the morning.
Mike

Last edited:
The storm is still raging with damage to some buildings around the coast. I have never known a storm go on for so long before. Attempts at walking around the coast were halted due to bits of buildings flying around all over the place and it has been very dangerous to be out and about.
I feel sure some migrating birds and seabirds will have been displaced and we may be in for a few surprises once we can venture out again. Mike

Clive yeah looking at your last post you can see the difference in the two Stint.
Hope the Storm passes soon and dumps down plenty of nice birds.

Bob

Re the Shearwater.
The photo has been sent away for further analysis.
It all depends on whether the underwing is grey or black. This will determine which species the bird is most likely to be.
It’s been fun and quite a learning experience. I am Seawatching nearly every day now so I very much appreciate the input from others, thanks.
Two Great skuas were seen today from Porto Colom.
I am at the lighthouse at Capdepera in the morning.
Mike

Hi Mike, it is very interesting and I look forward to hearing what the final outcome is. I am planning on doing a couple of Pelagics off of Cork this August and have been doing a bit of research regarding Shearwaters which is why I flagged this one up. Good luck with the seawatches and fingers crossed a few good things turn up. I have been coming to Mallorca for many years and read this thread regularly, so thank you for keeping it going!

Cheers
Euan.

Thanks Euan, I will keep you posted.
I have just been on a very windy seawatch in the north-east. Every single Scopoli’s looked typical on the underwing, quite unlike the photo you flagged up, so here’s hoping.
Mike

Both Common and Slender billed gill on the beach near the stream outlet in Pollenca this afternoon. Garganey and Glossy ibis at depadura.

Both great records Kevin. Hope you can post photos later. Good to see you today. I see there is a weather alert for tomorrow so I hope we made the right decision not to meet. Shame, sitting at Albufereta today was brilliant, just the kind of birding I love.
17 Lesser-Black backed gulls flew into Maristany after I left today, 16 intermedius and one graelsii I believe but perhaps someone else could confirm.
I feel sure quite a few good birds are around following the violent storms. I have heard there were three Slender-billed gulls near Albufereta, a Bluethroat right by the platform there too, just under where we were sitting.
Mike

Salbufera, just had S. E. Owl fly behind Sa Roca hide towards Aguait hide no sign at the moment in heaven rain. Wounder if it's the same one I had at Son Real?
Steve.

Yesterday at Albufera, the only birds worthy of note were 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Blacktailed Godwit, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Marbled Duck, a few Little Stint and Ruff. 7 Flamingo at Bishop 1 (sorry, Es Cibollar 1, I am more familiar with the old names). No sign of the Slender-billed or Common Gulls at Albufereta. It was good to meet up with Kevin and Mike M. again.

Short-eared owl is an excellent bird Steve, very scarce indeed, so if you can post those superb photos you showed me, that would be much appreciated.
Seeing Clive, Kevin and Steve yesterday made me realize how cut off I am here in the south so I will either have to move up north or make more effort in future, it was great feeling part of the scene and enjoying all the improvements to our favourite locations, especially Albufereta. Mike

Thanks Mike, not sure about superb. Really good to see you again and the good lady, enjoyed my chat with Kevin also, must have chatted for more than an hour, and cheers to the guy from Cirencester I think who told me about the Bluethroat, forgot his name as I normally do with people I meet should have written it down.
Also today at salbufera, the Hen Harrier showed again in flight only, 5 Glossy Ibis, Male Garganey still, Black Tailed Godwit, Green Sand, Ruff, Spotted reds, Redshank, and Peregrine, 21 Dunlin.
Steve.

A few more photos from early March.
Happy that the Hawfinch hung around this year at Son Real giving me the best views ever of this secretive bird.
Also two Alpine Swift from the Albufureta Tower were a life bird for me.

Bob

Attachments

• BFAS.jpg
    BFAS.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 69
  • BFCW.jpg
    BFCW.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 77
  • BFFL.jpg
    BFFL.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 70
  • BFHF.jpg
    BFHF.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 66
  • BFMH.jpg
    BFMH.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back