• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 - New models EL (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
Every 10 years Swarovski has been coming out with a new binocular
model in the flagship. In 1999 the EL was introduced, 2009 the EL
Swarovision, so I wonder what is coming this year.

I think it will prove interesting.

Jerry

I wonder if they will work their way up with the models;
first the CL upgrade, then comes new SLC and finally an update to the EL SV.

I don't know what they could do to improve the EL SV; maybe better glare control
in the 32mm and possibly correct rolling ball (not everyone sees it though). Already has
beautiful design, ergonomics and optics. Also, awesome viewing comfort especially with eyeglasses.
So I wonder really what else there is to improve on...already a great binocular.

If they do an EL upgrade, I hope they don't go with aesthetic design like new CL with loud silver bling.
Current look of EL is beautiful. Hope they don't mess that up.

Last edited:
Per Swarovski's event calendar ( https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/dates ), the IWA fair is on in Nuremberg from the 8th of March, and they are attending
IWA is an abbreviation for Internationale Waffen Ausstellung ('International Weapons Exhibition')

It's the biggest international trade fair for civilian firearms and related activities, and would be a likely venue for the launch of a major new product
- if so, Swarovski may soon start posting 'teasers' on their website

John

Last edited:
While this is outside the scope of interest for most here at BirdForum . . .

Having thought about the current product lines this afternoon, the most obviously needed evolutionary upgrade is to the El Range/ O-Range models
The needs are specifically in relation to the ballistic calculation functions, which reflect the constant leapfrogging of comparative capabilities, typical to most digital technology

For some context, see the recent and concise comparative ratings of the 'Big 3's' RF binoculars, by dwever: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=368064

A) Data Transfer
Both the new generation Zeiss RF binoculars (introduced in 2018), and Swarovski’s own dS RF telescopic sight (introduced in 2017),
use Bluetooth to upload/ download ballistic data and set preferences, via a hand-held device
This seems to be the emerging standard for electronic RF devices, as:
- the data can be more efficiently viewed and selected on a conventional screen device, and
- a Bluetooth link provides the potential for firmware upgrades

B) Additional Capability
The current generation Zeiss and Leica units include solid state ambient temperature and barometric pressure sensors, to adjust for the effect of air density on ballistic drag
- again this enables more precise ballistic calculations

If such upgrades are in the works, IWA would be the obvious launch venue

. . . having said all that, here’s hoping they’ve been working hard at Absam and that we’ll soon see yet another revolutionary change to the EL line!

John

Last edited:
Hi All. Sure I read an interview with a Swarovski employee that they might be evaluating Image stabilisation for future models. Can anyone confirm?
Apologies no link so pls take with a grain of salt.

Jonti

Maybe a weight reduction, possibly an increase in fov, especially for the 10x42, I would`nt mind an EL with the balance, focusser, fov of the SF, baffling and stray light control of the NV and the current material quality of the SV.

Swarovski introduced no new models at the huge SHOT show in Vegas this past January. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on one this year.

While this is outside the scope of interest for most here at BirdForum . . .

Having thought about the current product lines this afternoon, the most obviously needed evolutionary upgrade is to the El Range/ O-Range models
The needs are specifically in relation to the ballistic calculation functions, which reflect the constant leapfrogging of comparative capabilities, typical to most digital technology

For some context, see the recent and concise comparative ratings of the 'Big 3's' RF binoculars, by dwever: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=368064

A) Data Transfer
Both the new generation Zeiss RF binoculars (introduced in 2018), and Swarovski’s own dS RF telescopic sight (introduced in 2017),
use Bluetooth to upload/ download ballistic data and set preferences, via a hand-held device
This seems to be the emerging standard for electronic RF devices, as:
- the data can be more efficiently viewed and selected on a conventional screen device, and
- a Bluetooth link provides the potential for firmware upgrades

B) Additional Capability
The current generation Zeiss and Leica units include solid state ambient temperature and barometric pressure sensors, to adjust for the effect of air density on ballistic drag
- again this enables more precise ballistic calculations

If such upgrades are in the works, IWA would be the obvious launch venue

. . . having said all that, here’s hoping they’ve been working hard at Absam and that we’ll soon see yet another revolutionary change to the EL line!

John

It will be interesting to see how the range finding with ballistic & atmospheric compensation battle shakes out. Will people buy a scope or a binocular or both? If I'm hunting and have it in my rifle scope I certainly don't need it in my binocular, and these are approx $3K instruments so not much room for duplication for most. Scope will red-dot illuminate the aim point with everything factored in and the binocular won't be able to do this and will only offer the information. Ergos will play a large part of it too ... Zeiss is moving the market with range finding binoculars and Swaro is moving the market with the scopes. Burris is on its third gen of scope but is still a large and bulky platform.

I'm guessing larger field of view with larger sweet spot as the SF did will be the direction for upper end glass.

CG

Last edited:
Robert:

The B&H also says that the new Nikon WX 10x50 is discontinued. I think they simply mean they are out of stock.
Swarovski Optik does not say that the SLC 8x56 is discontinued.

Peter

Hi All. Sure I read an interview with a Swarovski employee that they might be evaluating Image stabilisation for future models. Can anyone confirm?
Apologies no link so pls take with a grain of salt.

Jonti

I hope that these rumors are true and that either Swaro or Zeiss will launch an attractive IS binos line in the not too distant future; in the case of Zeiss something smaller and more robust than their mechanically stabilized 20x60S.

...I don't know what they could do to improve the EL SV; maybe better glare control...

For those of us who use (or _try_ to use) the close focus of these bins, the answer for improvement is obvious: the EL SV needs an update to give it variable-ratio focus.

Fixing the glare problem in the 32 mm would be nice, and a general improvement to contrast in all models would also be nice. I'm not saying that contrast is lacking compared to the competition, but any improvements in that area, which certainly has room for improvement, are always appreciated.

--AP

Every 10 years Swarovski has been coming out with a new binocular
model in the flagship. In 1999 the EL was introduced, 2009 the EL
Swarovision, so I wonder what is coming this year.

I think it will prove interesting.

Jerry
Jerry, Swarovski is a professional company, and this seems like a strange thread you have started :smoke:

Everybody has their own wish list of what they would like to see ....... BUT - do you have any source or actual real information on this? :brains: :news:
Or, is it merely 'your' speculative 'wondering' based on a coincidental product development timeframe (with different personnel entirely) sample size of two? :cat:

What makes you "think" it will "prove" interesting ...... :h?:

Chosun :gh:

Chosun:

Go jump back down your hole.

Jerry
Jerry,

A simple .... yes - here is my source information, or no - I was just wondering out loud, would have sufficed to my legitimate question.

I'm sure you're a better man than your reply, and hope that you are ok.

Chosun :gh:

Interesting thought Jerry. I'm trying to think what would impress me enough to purchase a new Swarovski. Quite honestly it would have to be a new model. Maybe a 7X32/35. EL or SLC, it probably wouldn't matter. Maybe a slimmed down EL 8X42.

Improved glare control (esp. in the 32mm) would be interesting, though I'm not sure if that would negatively effect the ease of eye-placement many people have experienced.
I like AP's suggestion of a variable speed focus, as I've always found the 8.5x42 and 10x42 to have a non-ideal knob for close in birding; that was actually the main reason I got rid of my 10x42 EL.

Not a lot you can improve, in my opinion. Updated coatings are always welcome, but that wouldn't be enough for me to buy a new model over an old - similar to the FP kit not being all that enticing to me, personally.

Justin

I like AP's suggestion of a variable speed focus, as I've always found the 8.5x42 and 10x42 to have a non-ideal knob for close in birding; that was actually the main reason I got rid of my 10x42 EL.

A 10x42 is suboptimal for close-in birding. Not only does it have a relatively narrow Fov, but its depth of field is only half that of a 7x binocular at the same distance and one has to search for the bird in the third dimension.

Individual preferences on speed of focus vary, sometimes too slow, sometimes too sensitive. I'm not aware of any binocular with variable speed focus, but if this is on someone's wish list, I should be interested to hear how many degrees of focus travel per dioptre they require at the shorter distances, and how many at the longer distances.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back