• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are some of the best trees (1 Viewer)

Hi, just wondering what some of the best trees are for attracting birds, more specificaly: warblers, orioles, finches and pretty birds

You gave an hour and a half for someone to reply, most people don't spend all day on here so give it time and someone will give you an answer.

No offense mate but you have to give people time to reply, I mean if they dont post its probably because they generally dont know. also saying "fine, dont reply" is going to put a lot of BF members off posting.
"patience is a virtue" as already quoted....

sorry i cant help with the tree thing. I do know berries are very good though......

I don't know about this for Canada but the Scrub Oak trees in my front yard are infested with Warblers in the fall and spring.

A general rule, that I reckon is universal, is that trees that attract insects, attract birds. And for the seedeaters, alders, along with birch. Duel purpose, 'attractive to birds' trees are hawthorns, dogwoods, all of the 'prunus' species, and willow. Willows are always a big hit with birds.

In High Island the Mulberry trees were amazing! So much so that I plan on putting one on my property when I can find them. No such luck so far.

In High Island the Mulberry trees were amazing! So much so that I plan on putting one on my property when I can find them. No such luck so far.

I can second that. Mulberries in our area (S. Ontario) attract mega birds - especially thrushes and waxwings. But the don't plant them over anything you need to keep clean - the fruit does stain when it falls.

Mountain ash and chokecherry also are favourites with the waxwings, and I've seen Pine Grosbeaks pulling apart crabapples to eat the seeds. (You have to wait for a "good year" to get those, though.)

Peter C.

A general rule, that I reckon is universal, is that trees that attract insects, attract birds. And for the seedeaters, alders, along with birch. Duel purpose, 'attractive to birds' trees are hawthorns, dogwoods, all of the 'prunus' species, and willow. Willows are always a big hit with birds.

I've got a birch in my garden (it was here when we moved in) and it's always popular with birds, although more so if I've got food out for the birds.

I had Magpies nesting in it a couple of years back, I know not most people's most popular bird, but they still didn't stop most of the smaller birds visiting the garden. In winter it teems with Siskins, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, the occasional Redwing and more.

Next door's garden has a small conifer that often attracts Goldcrests.

Unfortunately they once had a hawthorn bush that they cut down, and one year that attracted in Waxwings - what an amazing feeling it was to sit looking out my window for a couple of hours at a big group of them. I'm hoping to plant a berry-producing bush/tree in my garden soon in the hope of attracting other wintering birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back