• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha, but from a repair service/after sales point of view (1 Viewer)

RobMorane

Hi All,

The "Alpha" list and criterias has been endlessly debated on this forum.

But I thought it would be interesting to get a list of brands,
"Alpha" from a repair service/after sales quality point of view.

I would put Opticron and Swarovski in the list from what I heard.
Any others from your point of view?

I've dealt with Swarovski, Zeiss, and Vortex repair departments. So far I felt Vortex and Swarovski were pretty equal in communication and turn around time which is superior. Zeiss gets the job done at their own pace with little to no communication.

I would like to add that I have communicated or at least ATTEMPTED to communicate with Leica, USA lately. Still waiting on phone calls to be returned and for emails to be answered going on two weeks.

So "Alpha" from repair/customer service POV:

Swarovski
Vortex
:t:

This could be an interesting thread but one should bear in mind that customer service from any one brand can differ from country to country.

Lee

I had no trouble with Nikon on the one occasion I had to use their warranty. I was the original owner and I had followed instructions and registered the binocular with Nikon when I purchased it in 2010. It was a 10x32 EDG I.

I used it for 2 years when the covering started bubbling on it and the corrugated rubber sleeve on the focus wheel had stretched and was interfering with the focusing.

I contacted Nikon by phone and spoke to a Nikon representative following up with e-mail correspondence and was advised how to return the binocular to them and they would decide to replace it or repair it. I dealt with their NY office but I had to ship the binocular to their California office. In my case Nikon decided to replace it with a new EDG II. It took about 3 weeks to do it because they had to send to Japan to get a new one for me. Every thing during this procedure was tracked by e-mail.

The new 10x32 EDG II that I received is still flawless after 4 years.

It is very important that you are the original owner and have the binocular registered with them if you want it serviced or replaced. The warranty is not transferable.

Bob

Last edited:
In Germany:

Swarovski, Zeiss: Very good service indeed, including returned phonecalls. Very quick and reliable.

Leica and Nikon: They sure take their time but get the job done in the end. Leica has become somewhat better lately.

Hermann

As far as USA service goes:
Leupold, Swaro, Vortex are absolutely top shelf.

Zeiss, as chill said, is good but at their own pace. We sent a Zeiss 85 spotter in to fix a broken focus mechanism. They fixed it, but turnaround time was 6 months and communication was average at best.

Nikon has pretty clueless customer service people from my experience. I ordered a part for a scope I had and never received it, period. CS was useless. I also wanted to buy their first generation EDG bino a few years ago, and found a couple of used/mint samples. I called CS with serial numbers to ask when they were made, and if was pre or post diopter problems that were rampant with the first gen EDG. Once again, clueless.

Leica? They're in a class by themselves as far as alpha makers go. Bottom of the barrel. I see fewer and fewer Leica products come into our camps every year, for good reason.

From my experience, I'd second the Leupold, Vortex, and Swarovski recommendations. Leupold seems to be the one who got it right first and everyone else strives to emulate. I was pretty impressed with Swarovski in the times I dealt with them trying to be certain my rolling ball SV issues were really RB and not some issue with the 10x50 SV.

Nikon has been decent. The CS reps seem to be robotically controlled humans, but I can't argue with their results.

Maybe I've had bad luck but between my own needs and those of friends and family, I've dealt with many brands over the last couple decades. My info may not be current, but my several experiences each with Swarovski USA, Zeiss USA, Bushnell USA repair center, and Nikon USA Repair Dept (other Nikon customer service departments can be unreliable/clueless) have all been outstanding. They've all been super generous about providing service without cost (often even covering shipping costs to repair relatively new binoculars). My more limited experiences with Leupold, Swift, Mead, and Eagle Optics have also all been excellent. None of the above companies have charged me, or anyone I've helped, a single dollar to repair or replace a binocular sent to them for service. The only company that I've found to be on the ungenerous side is Leica. Leica service seems OK as long as you call and are able to speak to someone who picks up the phone (rather than going to voice mail), so it is worth calling several times to get a real person. They still don't always follow up, or communicate the status of an order well, but when they work on something they do the job well. Leica is the only company that has charged me (~$50?) by enforcing a fixed mandatory fee for warranty repair under the lifetime USA passport policy for a bin after the first 3 (if I remember right) years. I complained based on the circumstances of why that repair was necessary, but they didn't relent.

--AP

Hello,

I had a minor problem which was repaired quickly by Zeiss. Swarovski service was better than their product in my opinion. Their 7x50 Porro was not a superior glass.

Years, ago, Zen-Ray was very good but I am not up to date on their current customer service.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I recently dealt with both Swarovski and Zeiss customer service.

I had a broken rain guard on my Zeiss Conquest HD and contacted Zeiss for a replacement. After talking with the lady on the phone for a few minutes, she realized that I was in Canada, and not the USA, and directed me to call Gentec International (in Canada). After leaving a message and waiting for a few days for a response, the person at Gentec told me that they would be happy to send me a new rain guard for $25.00. The funny thing was that the lady at Zeiss USA was ready to send me a replacement rain guard for free, until she said that she could ship it outside of the USA.

I called Swarovski on the same day, and asked if they have any extended eye cups available for the EL series, as I get blackouts on mine. He said that they don't make anything other than the exact same ones that come with the bins, but he'll send out a replacement just in-case they will work out better. I didn't even ask for a replacement.

I will be taking the new eyecups, and modding them make them a bit longer.

I will say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with Swarovski customer service. While there was nothing wrong with the service at Zeiss USA, it seemed like the person at Swarovski cared and really wanted to help solve my problem. Not to mention, that the service from Gentec (who I have to deal with) wasn't great (not horrible, but nothing to write home about).

I was originally wanting to replace my Conquest HD 10x42 with an HT 10x42, but the service was so good at Swarovski, that I'm now wanting an EL 10x42 instead.

I was originally wanting to replace my Conquest HD 10x42 with an HT 10x42, but the service was so good at Swarovski, that I'm now wanting an EL 10x42 instead.

BS

By all means go for a Swaro rather than an HT, if you like the EL better but don't do it because of customer service that you might never need. Thats like the tail wagging the dog. How long will you keep the bins? How many times will you lift them up to your eyes? How many times are you likely to need any sort of customer service? Do the math.

And of course feel free to ignore my ramblings.

Lee

I have some recent experience with both Swarovski and Leica. Swarovski has always done
things very well for me with service or with a small parts request.

Leica has also done very well as far as parts go, they replaced my eyecups for an older Leitz
10x40, and objective covers for an Ultravid. Both were replaced as a complimentary service.

I really like that.

Jerry

BS

By all means go for a Swaro rather than an HT, if you like the EL better but don't do it because of customer service that you might never need. Thats like the tail wagging the dog. How long will you keep the bins? How many times will you lift them up to your eyes? How many times are you likely to need any sort of customer service? Do the math.

And of course feel free to ignore my ramblings.

Lee

I like both the HT and the EL. I originally wanted the HT over the EL as I liked the brightness it offered, however, I did also like the edge to edge sharpness of the EL. So it was very close. However, since getting the 10x32 EL and experiencing service from both companies, it's enough to sway me over to the EL.

I've dealt with Swarovski in the past when my spotting scope kept getting fogged up. They dealt with the issue very, very quickly.

Swarovski, Vortex, Zeiss, Vanguard (nobody else has mentioned them?) and Leica (contact: Dave Elwell). The new companies Maven and Tract also seem to do their best (for repairs they work directly with Kamakura in San Diego, and they are quite prompt).

Swarovski, Vortex, Zeiss, Vanguard (nobody else has mentioned them?) and Leica (contact: Dave Elwell). The new companies Maven and Tract also seem to do their best (for repairs they work directly with Kamakura in San Diego, and they are quite prompt).

Pesto:

I am wondering about your knowledge about Tract and Maven, and their
service ability.
Do you have experience, with both, first hand knowledge ?

Tell us about anything that may be important.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back