• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular discussions on BirdForum (1 Viewer)

curtA2

Hi,

They must be here, but I'm not finding general binocular discussions. I need new ones. My near dead Bausch & Lomb Elites cost me $850, way back when. Top bins are $3k now. Is it worth it? Or, do you get amazing bins for around a thousand dollars? If I do $1,000, I'll also get a new camera body. Top bins mean no new camera body. Where are those discussions, or is this the right place?

Curt

Hi,

They must be here, but I'm not finding general binocular discussions. I need new ones. My near dead Bausch & Lomb Elites cost me $850, way back when. Top bins are $3k now. Is it worth it? Or, do you get amazing bins for around a thousand dollars? If I do $1,000, I'll also get a new camera body. Top bins mean no new camera body. Where are those discussions, or is this the right place?

Curt
Hi Curt,
I presume you've been through this section: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

If that wasn't too much help, you could start your own thread there.

If still no joy, there are plenty on here who can offer help and advice!
MJB

I'm guessing that you will have a decent optics shop within a reasonable drive. Preferably with an outdoor viewing area.
My advice would be to go along and try mid-range binoculars and assess whether they suit your current and future needs.

Curt,
The Canon 10x42ISL sells for about $1200 currently on Amazon and at B&H.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373459-USA/Canon_0155B002_10x42_L_IS_WP.html

The image stabilization feature lifts this heavy, bulky glass into another league in terms of optical performance.
It is optically excellent even before the IS kicks in, but the view with IS on is like seeing with the gear on a tripod.
Imho it is by a distance the best birding glass available today, even with the substandard warranty Canon offers. I recently bought a new replacement unit because the old one was failing after decade of hard service and there is still nothing competitive on the market.

2nd hand top bins around 1000, new ones starting 1500. Look into eg Zeiss conquest, leica trinovid, Swarovski slc, or second hand swarovision / Zeiss ht / ultravid.

Good day everyone. So a while back I purchased a pair of swaro el hd 10x42 binos. I am here to tell you that is the best glass I have ever seen. Now zeiss is close yes. I also have a pair of zeiss but the swaros are nice. Don't spend your time and money over and over buying binos just to save money. Bite the bullet and get a good pair upfront. Look at eurooptic.com the are an authorized swaro dealer and on some occasions they sale demo pieces. that is what mine were and they are awesome. they still carry the swaro warranty and I know because I called swaro and they are the ones who recommended euro optic and don't be afraid to ask for a lower price even on the "new" stuff. But go swaro in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back