• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Keys ID's (1 Viewer)

trey

Young birder
Didn't manage to get a picture of these birds but I can give a description. Hopefully someone can try to ID them.

Bird #1- Definantly a Nighthawk seen flying over Tavernier Key. Assuming Antillean? Is there any other possibilities?

Bird #2- A medium sized bird seen in Tavernier Key. It had a very plain brown body and a tan mask. Was hanging out with Common Grackles. Common Grackle female? (It had a shorter tail)

Birds #3- I belive it was a Bobolink. I saw it from afar, but I definatley noticed a White cap or head and a otherwise black body. It was seen south of Miami but not in the Keys. Probably around Homestead. It was in a huge drainage area with fairly tall grass.

If you have any other questions about any of the birds, please ask.

Thanks in advance

Bird 1 - agree with Niels. See old article on Nighthawks in the Keys.
Bird 2 sounds like female Boat-tailed Grackle, notwithstanding your comment on tail size.
While Bird 3 sounds like it could be Bobolink, it could also be one of the many "exotics" established or just escaped in the Miami area. What date did you make this sighting? If very recent, it would be unlikely to be Bobolink as they typically pass through only on migration starting in April with the peak in early May and last ones by end May. Ebird doesn't show any sightings in this area in June.

Last edited:
Dave,

I saw the bird a few days ago, so I guess Bobolink is out of the picture.

Can anyone tell me the major differences between the Common Nighthawk and the Antillian Nighthawk and maybe even the other one that is rare in the Florida area? (forgot name :-C)

How about chuck-will's-widow (Caprimulgus carolinensis) or whip-poor-will (Caprimulgus vociferus)?

Couldn't tell the difference and haven't even seen either of them, but i do like the names.

Saw plenty of antillean and common on the keys (cayo) in cuba a couple of weeks ago.

Hope that helps,

k

Can anyone tell me the major differences between the Common Nighthawk and the Antillian Nighthawk and maybe even the other one that is rare in the Florida area? (forgot name :-C)

Trey,
Unfortunately there aren't any "major" differences that are visible, though voice is quite different. Please see the following thread for more information on separating these species via some "subtle" differences: Antillian, Common, or Lesser Nighthawk.

You'll probably just have to list this sighting as Nighthawk sp. Great to watch in any event!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back