• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iberian lynx (1 Viewer)

antuk

Hello, I wonder if someone here had the chance of photographing the (endangered) Iberian lynx? I am planning an excursion to its habitat in Spain in the winter and have wondered if anybody can contribute some advice based on experience or knowledge that I could use... (taking my D500 + 220-500 lens + T.C. 1.4)

Thanks.

Not sure if you are looking for logistical information, or photography advice, but I stayed at Villa Matilde http://www.villamatilde.org/index.html which is very close to one of the best areas for Lynx sightings, and has owners who are knowledgeable about recent sightings.

This is a very easy trip to self-organise - fly into Malaga, hire a car, drive to Andujar.

Hi Antuk, There is a nice company in the Doñana National Park in huelva and they have a tour to watch the Iberian Lynx, This is their website: https://www.donanabirdguides.com/

Sounds like they don't see it very often....?

'We spend a day out enjoying the Mediterranean forest with all its different aspects (flora and fauna) while looking for our main target. Despite the low chances, the search of the Lynx can be quite exciting even we do not manage to find it!'

Sierra de Andujar is much more reliable place for Iberian Lynx. You will likely find yourself in a company of other lynx-twichers. Nothing can be guaranteed, however.

I found complex de Los Pinos a good place to stay. Dirt road going along the river Rio Jandula towards the small dam (marked Presa de El Encinarejo on Google maps) is most likely to provide close sightings, especially watching from the hill left of the dam. Lynx often walk or cross this road, or are on the hills on the other side of the river. During my visit they were seen several times walking across the river on a small bridge below the dam. I remember one morning on this road I saw lynx footprints over my yesterdays footprints.

Lynx may however appear anywhere in the area (don't run one over driving at night). Tour groups seem to drive randomly along the dirt roads in the national park (where it is allowed) and hope to see thre lynx crossing the road.

There is another road going across the hills towards much higher dam, Salto del Jandula. Lynx sightings there are very distant, but around the dam you can see Spanish Ibex.

I hope I did not mix up the place names (it has been several years already). Anybody please correct me. There are many reports on mammalwatching.com and some on this forum, too.

Please, inform yourself what precisely is allowed. During my visit, the area was patrolled. And other lynx watchers were naturally not keen to see photographers approaching the lynx.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back