Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The Chiriquí in chiriquensis … ?

Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 13:25   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

The Chiriquí in chiriquensis … ?

Here´s a question on the Toponym ...

chiriquensis as in:
● Rufous-breasted Quail-Dove (Oreopeleia/Geotrygon) Zentrygon chiriquensis SCLATER 1856 (here) a k a Chiriquí Quail-Dove alt. Chiriqui Quail Dove (alt. chiriquívaktelduva, in Swedish)
● and Chiriqui Yellowthroat Geothlypis chiriquensis SALVIN 1872 (here) a k a Chiriquí Yellowthroat (chiriquígulhake in Swedish).

From the OD of the Quail-Dove:
Quote:
LIST OF MAMMALS AND BIRDS COLLECTED BY MR. BRIDGES IN THE VICINITY OF THE TOWN OF DAVID IN THE PROVINCE OF CHIRIQUI IN THE STATE OF PANAMA.
The town of David lies in a beautiful plain on the left bank of the river of the same name, about twenty-five miles above its exit into the Pacific at Boca Chica. On the west of the town rises the extinct volcano of Chiriqui, a peak …
and from the Yellowthroat's:
Quote:
Some months ago our collector in Veragua, Enrique Arce, sent us a single specimen of a Geothlypis, from the slopes of the Volcano of Chiriqui, which has perplexed me not a little
[…]
We now find that, in addition to these, another race exists in Chiriqui, which is almost as distinct from the others as they are from one another.
[…]
Our Chiriqui specimen is unfortunately unique ; …
[…]
… the fact of the Chiriqui bird being somewhat more closely related to the Brazilian race than to any of the others, singular as it may at first sight seem, is in strict conformity with other instances of a similar distribution in other allied forms, not only of birds, but also of other animals. The science of geographical distribution demands that all such cases should receive close investigation. Our single specimen, which I propose to call Geothlypis CHiRiQUENSiS, is a male in adult plumage, and differs from an …
[…]
… and forcing a small detached remnant northwards into the recesses of the remote volcano of Chiriqui. Isolated from its parent stock and incapable of stemming the tide of invasion by an antagonistic race, this small remnant was prevented from spreading over Central America by the contemporary form of G. poliocephala, which then occupied Costa Rica and held its own against pressure from the south. Thus hemmed in, it found at last a resting-place in Chiriqui, where alone it has survived, and where it gradually assumed the features which now distinguish it.
Does this mean that chiriquensis are coined after the Volcano Chiriquí or the District Chiriquí?

Both located in Panama. The province was officially established on May 26, 1849. In the case of the Quail-Dove it sure does look in favour of the Province (as in the title of the paper), but what about the Yellowthroat?

I guess the key phrases in this case are; of Chiriquí, vs in Chiriquí…?

Anyone (with complete understanding of English) have an opinion?

Björn

PS. Note the proper way of spelling/writing it, with accent over the last letter (í not i), contrary the way it was written in the English text in the ODs. Fairly easy to miss ...
--

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 3rd August 2018 at 06:47. Reason: correction
Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 15:15   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Not an answer to your question, but: is there actually any volcano today that is named Chiriqui or is it the one I know as Volcan Baru?

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 16:25   #3
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Sure looks like it, Niels ...
Quote:
Panama mostly take advantage of the proximity of this small town to the forests, lakes, and rivers that grace the flanks of Volcan Baru (also known as the “Volcan de Chiriqui”, or Chiriqui Volcano).
From here
Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 16:33   #4
njlarsen
Opus Editor

thanks!

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 16:51   #5
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

You´re welcome Niels!

Not often a Real Estate site is quoted on BirdForum

But the question remains: ... in Chiriquí, or of Chiriquí ...?
Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 17:56   #6
Xenospiza
Undescribed

According to the Spanish wikipedia, Chiriquí means Moon Valley in the local language and was already called like this when the Spanish arrived: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provin..._Chiriqu%C3%AD

And as Volcán Baru is also called Volcán de Chiriquí (and in your text this is translated as Volcano of Chiriquí), it is named after the region.

Therefore, it is safe to assume that chiriquensis pertains to the region (which later was turned into a province).
Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 22:08   #7
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thanks "Xenospiza", possibly so ... but today's HBW Alive Key explain (and has always explained) this toponym/scientific name as:
Quote:
chiriquensis / chiriquiquensis
Chiriquí Province, Panama.
Province, Region, volcano ... ?

--

Last edited by Calalp : Thursday 2nd August 2018 at 22:16. Reason: typo
Old Thursday 2nd August 2018, 22:33   #8
andyadcock

There is now also Chiriqui Foliage Gleaner, split from Buff-fronted I think it was?
Old Friday 3rd August 2018, 07:12   #9
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Andy, the "Chiriqui Foliage-gleaner" is not on the Swedish list as it´s (still) considered a subspecies, of Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner Automolus ochrolaemus (by IOC).

If it will be split (by IOC as well) I´m pretty sure we would spell it chiriquílövletare ... (that is, of course, if Chiriquí would be involved at all, in its hypothetical Swedish name)

The only other chiriquensis species in the IOC list is the Lesser Elaenia Elaenia chiriquensis (in Swedish mindre elenia, in line with its English name).
Old Friday 3rd August 2018, 07:45   #10
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

But ... there´s yet another reason for this thread ... as the Swedish Taxonomy Committee, 2016, explained the (Swedish) Common name as:
Quote:
Chiriquí Flod och provins i Panama
... which means: "Chiriquí River and Province in Panama"

Anyone who understands why they added the River?!?

Province, Region, Volcano ... or/and River?

What am I missing?

Björn
Old Friday 3rd August 2018, 12:27   #11
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Cannot remember having seen a river named like that. Obviously I have not visited every corner of Chiriqui.

Niels

Old Friday 3rd August 2018, 20:42   #12
Paul Clapham

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Cannot remember having seen a river named like that. Obviously I have not visited every corner of Chiriqui.
Same with me. But curiously, the Río Chiriquí is not located in the province of Chiriquí. Instead, it flows into the Caribbean Sea on the other side of the Continental Divide. See it on a map here.

So that's a bit of a surprise. I'm don't know whether any of the "Chiriquí XXX" species live near this river; typically Central American bird species live on only one side of the divide but not always.
1726 (HBW (passerines) -- 15.7% of 10966); 1726 (BLI Version 2 -- 15.5% of 11122)
Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 01:56   #13
njlarsen
Opus Editor

The original region might have been larger than the province that exists now?

Niels

Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 06:59   #14
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Regardless Panamanian Geography, I who hasn´t been there (neither to any other part of Latin America) still wonder on how to interpret the two ODs (in post #1):

In Chiriquí ... or of Chiriquí (today's Volcan Baru)?

I tend towards the former.
Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 12:30   #15
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Most definitely IN.
Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 14:33   #16
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Regardless Panamanian Geography, I who hasn´t been there (neither to any other part of Latin America) still wonder on how to interpret the two ODs (in post #1):

In Chiriquí ... or of Chiriquí (today's Volcan Baru)?

I tend towards the former.
Neither is really accurate geographically, the Quail Dove occurs well up in to Costa Rica, just North of San Jose at least.
Old Sunday 5th August 2018, 07:54   #17
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Neither is really accurate geographically, the Quail Dove occurs well up in to Costa Rica, just North of San Jose at least.
Andy, the starting point for this discussion is the OD's. Not what is know today.

In 1856 and 1872 their verified range was as "accurate geographically", as any other original description.

--

Last edited by Calalp : Sunday 5th August 2018 at 08:13.
Old Sunday 5th August 2018, 08:24   #18
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
Most definitely IN.
Thanks, "Xenospiza"!

Any other opinions?

That is; from (Native/fluent) English speaking readers (not living "In a drawer")
Old Monday 6th August 2018, 00:37   #19
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Thanks, "Xenospiza"!

Any other opinions?

That is; from (Native/fluent) English speaking readers (not living "In a drawer")
Not native, but I have been living in English speaking areas more than the last 15 years and more than 20 in total, and the majority of my work has been in English longer than that. I agree with Xenospiza.

Niels

Old Friday 10th August 2018, 12:47   #20
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Still very little response to the first "in or of" question ...

Thereby; after re-reading the two OD's (from 1856 and 1872), over and over, I will go for the same explanation as James and the HBW Alive Key; reasonably the Province Chiriquí, established in 1849 (which, in its turn, got its name from the "ancient" lowland/coastal Region by the same name).

Not the Volcano, and certainly not the River ...

The only disturbing piece is the Note for the Type specimen of the Chiriquí Yellowthroat Geothlypis chiriquensis in the Type collection of the British Natural History Museum (here): "Location: Volcan de Chiriqui, Veragua, 1870" ... leaving us with a tiny, tiny dot of hesitation.

But I don´t think Osbert Salvin whould have written that this Bird "... exists in Chiriqui", if he was thinking of the Volcano. I strongly doubt it was found inside the Vulcano itself ....

And as today's Veraguas (also a Province) lies east of Chiriquí (and certainly far east of the Volcano). I will simply trust the words of Salvin.

If chiriquensis (or/and chiriquiquensis?) in other, different species refers to the older Region itself (or even the Volcano) is a whole different issue (and even if so, of no concern ... at least not to me).

I will also add (thanks to "Xenospiza") that the Original (Costa Rican Native/Indian tribal) name Chiriquí (or Cheriqué) meant "Valley of the Moon". Just for the fun of it!

I´m done ... (on this one).

Björn
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 16:52   #21
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
(or/and chiriquiquensis?)
FWIW, "chiriquiquensis" seems to be a mere typo by Cory ([here] in 1918), for a bird ("aus Chiriqui") which Adolf Nehrkorn had named Eugenes spectabilis chiriquensis ([here] in 1901).
(I can't find that name anywhere else.)
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 19:29   #22
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Laurent, you beat me to it ... while I was preparing, compiling my notes, typing away this post!

But I might post them anyway, as I did had a look at all (?) the other birds named chiriquensis ...

Simply for completeness sake (regarding the Scientific name/s), as complete as it might be (?), here´s the remaining ones – in chronological order:

● Lesser Elaenia Elaenia chiriquensis LAWRENCE 1865 (here): "List of Birds from near David, Chriqui, New Grenada ..." (New Grenada" is today's Panama) = same Province Chiriquí [Range: widespread, from Costa Rica to NE Argentina]

● the invalid, or valid (?) Hummingbird subspecies Eugenes fulgens/spectabilis chiriquensis NEHRKORN 1901 (here) as "Eugenes spectabilis chiriquensis"*: "aus Chiriqui, ..." [Alleged range: Highlands of Costa Rica and western Panama]

● the (debated) Vireo subspecies Vireo leucophrys chiriquensis BANGS 1903 (here), as "Vireosylva josephæ chiriquensis": "A New Race ... from Chiriqui" ... "Type, from Boquete, Volcan de Chiriqui". [Range: S Costa Rica, W Panama]

● the invalid, long-debated species, hybrid or ... (?); Chiriqui Pigeon (Columba) Patagioenas chiriquensis RIDGWAY 1915 (here) as "Œnœnas chiriquensis: "A New Pigeon from Chiriqui, Panama" [Earlier, a presumed hybrid, "known only from type", kept in the collection of the US National Museum of Natural History, specimen USNM 14830: "Current Identification: Columba nigrirostris", here, ... ?]

● the Tapaculo subspecies Scytalopus argentifrons chiriquensis GRISCOM 1924 (here, p.3), as "Scytalopus chiriquensis": "TYPE: ... Cerro Flores (alt. 5500 ft.), eastern Chiriqui, Panama; ..." See Introduction "... Cerro Flores ... in extreme eastern Chiriqui" [Range: W Panama]

That´s it! Finally.

Chiriquí ... over and out!

Björn

*As Laurent pointed out in post #21: Not the extended version; "Eugenes spectabilis chiriquiquensis" as it (as well) was listed (also in 1918), by Hellmayr and Conover, in Catalogue of birds of the Americas and the adjacent islands ... (here)

If there ever was another bird truly named chiriquiquensis (which is listed in today's Key) is all unknown to me.
---

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 11th August 2018 at 08:47. Reason: Italics
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 20:18   #23
Paul Clapham

Quote:
("New Grenada" is today's Panama)
Actually, Nueva Granada was more like what is now Colombia, with territories varying over time; but Panama was a province of Colombia until 1903 and would have been included in that term. You could read the Wikipedia article disambiguating "New Granada" but I'm sure it's unnecessary for you to do so. Just think of it as "Colombia and whatever nearby bits happened to be part of it at the time".
1726 (HBW (passerines) -- 15.7% of 10966); 1726 (BLI Version 2 -- 15.5% of 11122)
Old Sunday 12th August 2018, 06:34   #24
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Paul, true, this I know, it was no attempt to revise the historical maps, what I tried to point out was the Origin of the Elaenia; "Chriqui, New Grenada ..." (in today's Panama). Nothing else.
Old Tuesday 14th August 2018, 08:07   #25
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quick return ...

James, what bird/name is the reason for the presence of (the prolonged, extended version) chiriquiquensis ... in today's Key?

I cannot find it in any other context than the Eugenes Hummingbird ...

If simply a misinterpretation/typo/misconstruction, shouldn´t it be removed?

/B
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: