Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Anyone tried the new barrel-focus design Vortex Viper scopes?

Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 22:27   #1
dchernack

Anyone tried the new barrel-focus design Vortex Viper scopes?

Title kinda says it all... I'd love any opinions about the new designs on the Vortex Viper scopes that now have the barrel focus design like the Razor. Can't find them at any big box stores or small retailers (yet). I've tried out the now discontinued design of Viper scopes and was very impressed with them in terms of light transmission and image clarity. I'd probably go with the 15-45x 65mm angled option but am curious to hear if anyone has tried any of the new Vipers. I'd likely be purchasing either it or one of the Vanguard Endeavor series or Opticron MM4 ED series scopes. Thanks all!
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 21:48   #2
Pendragon2018

I just bought a 2018 version of the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85 angled scope.

I am really liking it, though I don't have a lot of hands-on time with scopes. It seems to have a bright, crisp image all the way to the edges of the field of view. The viewing is best from about 20x to 45x, but 60x is functional. Probably the only thing about the scope that I'm not crazy about is the barrel focus. I mean don't get me wrong, it functions perfectly well. But there is a lot of twisting to adjust across the entire range of focus and sometimes that can be a pain. For what I paid though, I couldn't be happier.

I'd like to hear what other people are doing in terms of digiscoping adapters. Vortex suggested that I go with PhoneSkope to adapt to my phone to the scope, and I haven't completely clarified what sort of adapter would work with my Nikon DSLR.

Can anybody suggest what approach I should take to adapting my DSLR to the scope? The eyepiece appears to be a 1.25 inch bayonet style, but I am not sure if it is a proprietary style or if the Swarovski Optics still work on the new scopes. I heard rumors that the Swarovski eyepieces would adapt to older models of Vortex scopes. But I don't know if the new models still work with them.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: