Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your most anticipated futures books

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 05:17   #151
McMadd
and the continuing battle to take *****cilious britbirders to task...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
How come such interesting info goes to just some selected individual(s)?
Something to do with having a subscription to HBW online would be my first guess? I do.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 10:14   #152
andyadcock

Quote:
How come such interesting info goes to just some selected individual(s)?
Not the best marketing strategy is it?

A
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 14:49   #153
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Not the best marketing strategy is it?

A
At least, it can now be found on the LYNX website: https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-thailand-0
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 15:01   #154
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
Something to do with having a subscription to HBW online would be my first guess? I do.
It was my understanding that I was also on that list. Anyway, I have now placed my order. Looks really attractive. And it will likely push my need for a phone that can use those QR codes. So far, I'm still in the pre-smartphone era.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 17:02   #155
andyadcock

Quote:
It was my understanding that I was also on that list. Anyway, I have now placed my order. Looks really attractive. And it will likely push my need for a phone that can use those QR codes. So far, I'm still in the pre-smartphone era.
I see kids when I'm in the City and they look at mine and don't relise it's actually a phone, it's that old, no camera and no internet, it can be done, life without 24hr internet is possible!

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 17:05.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 17:35   #156
andyadcock

Quote:
At least, it can now be found on the LYNX website: https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-thailand-0
Odd size for a field guide at 23cm x 16cm., Robson being 21cm x 15.2

This part of the World being what it is, I can't hep thinking that a regional guide would have been more beneficial than a single country guide, do they intend separate volumes for Vietnam, Laos , Burma, Cambodia, Malaysia?

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 17:49.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 18:49   #157
andreadawn
BF Supporter 2018

At last a book about gulls in the New Naturalist series. A bit of a long wait though until May 2019.

https://www.nhbs.com/gulls-book

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 19:07   #158
DMW

I'm sure this will be an excellent field guide, but Thailand seems to be a curious choice in the light of "special attention given to countries without any recent or country-level guide", given that the country is already adequately covered by Robson. Is this an upgrade worth £50?

Just as curious, perhaps, is to restrict coverage to Thailand. With relatively little extra work, coverage could have been extended to the whole of Indochina and mainland Malaysia.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 19:34   #159
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
I'm sure this will be an excellent field guide, but Thailand seems to be a curious choice in the light of "special attention given to countries without any recent or country-level guide", given that the country is already adequately covered by Robson. Is this an upgrade worth £50?

Just as curious, perhaps, is to restrict coverage to Thailand. With relatively little extra work, coverage could have been extended to the whole of Indochina and mainland Malaysia.

Robson's Thailand guide was published in 2002. There have been splits since then that it does not cover. The compact version of his Southeast Asia guide came out in 2005, covers about 300 more species, and lacks range maps. It too does not cover some recent splits.

A single country guide to Thailand is going to be considerably more convenient for couple of reasons. First, range maps don't have to cover the vast area of all of Southeast Asia, so you would be able to determine the range within Thailand more accurately without squinting. Second, hundreds of species that don't occur in Thailand won't crowd the pages. Third, you can include local names in Thai, making it more useful for local birders. (Including local names in all the languages of Southeast Asia wouldn't be practical). Fourth, one of the goals of the series is to include information on local conservation status. That isn't going to work very well for a broad area. Fifth, other things being equal, a single country guide will be lighter and more compact.

So personally, I think it's a pretty good choice of an area in need of an update. I don't think there are many with a more urgent needs at this point, maybe Mexico, Argentina, or west China–but they are only marginally more urgent, and some have new guides that are purportedly in the works. I agree there is also a need for a broader guide covering the whole of Southeast Asia. But the one we have for that is more recent then Thailand (and there is the even more recent Arlott guide), and the goals of the series would be difficult to meet for broad area guides. Also, the Robson guides are pretty good, but the text is dry and the colors on some of the plates come across as a bit drab. So a guide that is a bit more engaging would be an improvement.

Last edited by Jim M. : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 19:57.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 20:08   #160
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
Robson's Thailand guide was published in 2002. There have been splits since then that it does not cover. The compact version of his Southeast Asia guide came out in 2005, covers about 300 more species, and lacks range maps. It too does not cover some recent splits.

A single country guide to Thailand is going to be considerably more convenient for couple of reasons. First, range maps don't have to cover the vast area of all of Southeast Asia, so you would be able to determine the range within Thailand more accurately without squinting. Second, hundreds of species that don't occur in Thailand won't crowd the pages. Third, you can include local names in Thai, making it more useful for local birders. (Including local names in all the languages of Southeast Asia wouldn't be practical). Fourth, one of the goals of the series is to include information on local conservation status. That isn't going to work very well for a broad area. Fifth, other things being equal, a single country guide will be lighter and more compact.

So personally, I think it's a pretty good choice of an area in need of an update. I don't think there are many with a more urgent needs at this point, maybe Mexico, Argentina, or west China–but they are only marginally more urgent, and some have new guides that are purportedly in the works. I agree there is also a need for a broader guide covering the whole of Southeast Asia. But the one we have for that is more recent then Thailand, and the goals of the series would be difficult to meet for broad area guides.
All just my opinion of course, but I can't really agree here. If you look through the earlier posts on this thread, I don't think a single commenter mentioned Thailand as being a priority. Robson might be getting on a bit, but as a field guide it was ahead of its time and the plates - which are ultimately the most important element of a field guide - look to be on a par with the Lynx sample plates.

As far a maps are concerned, increasing coverage to include Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia looks possible without reducing the scale of the maps (based on the sample plates), so likely no adverse effect there. And I'm really not sure that "hundreds" of additional species would need to be covered.

Regarding local names, I can't say how useful these are in practice, but it would hardly be a big deal to include, say, Vietnamese names.

It seems highly unlikely that Laos or Cambodia will get their own field guide: perhaps Vietnam will, with about 90% or more shared coverage with Thailand.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 20:28   #161
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
If you look through the earlier posts on this thread, I don't think a single commenter mentioned Thailand as being a priority.
This thread is about anticipated future books--not most desired guides. This is the first we've heard of a new guide for Thailand, so there would have been no reason to mention it. In any event, many of the highest demand sites already have books in the works, so Lynx probably didn't want their first guide to be facing prompt competition, or be rapidly superceded.

Quote:
And I'm really not sure that "hundreds" of additional species would need to be covered.
Robson's Thailand guide covers c. 950 species; his SE asia guide covers 1270. Numbers likely larger now after splits.

Quote:
Regarding local names, I can't say how useful these are in practice, but it would hardly be a big deal to include, say, Vietnamese names.
Whether the goals of the series are good ones is a different question from whether Thailand is a good choice for the first book in the series. I'm only addressing the latter question. In any event, producing a guide to SE Asia that included local names from Thailand and Vietnam, but not Malaysia, Cambodia, or Laos would be sure to, ahem, ruffle some feathers.

Last edited by Jim M. : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 21:07.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 09:27   #162
cajanuma

Quote:
It seems highly unlikely that Laos or Cambodia will get their own field guide: perhaps Vietnam will, with about 90% or more shared coverage with Thailand.
Yes, a Vietnam guide is also scheduled to be published at the end of this year: https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-vietnam
Old Monday 25th June 2018, 11:18   #163
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajanuma View Post
Yes, a Vietnam guide is also scheduled to be published at the end of this year: https://www.lynxeds.com/product/birds-vietnam
If the 90% shared species with Thailand as mentioned above is accurate, a Vietnam title will, apart from 10% of species, be the same as the Thai guide?

Others have mentioned re other titles, LYNX's 'stretching' (to the absolute limit) of material which already exists. Basically they're taking existing plates and text and just replicating them across several titles so they'll hope to sell at least two titles here, that we're aware of, rather than one.

It won't be practical for people who do a trip that involves several countries which due to ease of travel and proximity within the region, many do.

What are the odds that once they've done the country guides, a 'concise' regional guide covering them all, will appear?

A
Old Monday 25th June 2018, 21:21   #164
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
It won't be practical for people who do a trip that involves several countries which due to ease of travel and proximity within the region, many do.

A
I basically agree with you. There would be one exception, if many local people want a FG, one that concentrates on their own country would be an excellent start. My question for that is, however, whether their ability to handle an English FG is sufficient. But given the costs of translation, such a high quality book may be their best bet despite it being written in English. At least it will have the local names as well. So what I want to say, our arguing here concentrates too often on the international birding tourism only.
!

Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 07:40   #165
andyadcock

Quote:
I basically agree with you. There would be one exception, if many local people want a FG, one that concentrates on their own country would be an excellent start. My question for that is, however, whether their ability to handle an English FG is sufficient. But given the costs of translation, such a high quality book may be their best bet despite it being written in English. At least it will have the local names as well. So what I want to say, our arguing here concentrates too often on the international birding tourism only.
The reality Robert is that a miniscule number of Thais are interested in birding, even fewer in Vietnam, Laos, Burma or Cambodia.

Few can afford the outlay required to pursue any hobby and those that are birders, are in it to make a living as guides or are equally likely to be photographers.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 26th June 2018 at 14:37.
Old Saturday 7th July 2018, 13:06   #166
Melanie

Three books on paleontological subjects:

Carboniferous Giants and Mass Extinction by George R McGhee
Smilodon: The Iconic Sabertooth by Lars Werdelin, H Gregory McDonald, Christopher A Shaw
End of the Megafauna by Ross D. E. MacPhee
Old Sunday 8th July 2018, 21:14   #167
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
FG Seabirds of the World is now postponed to 1 December 2020

https://www.amazon.de/FG-SEABIRDS-WO...0970628&sr=1-5
There is now a new try for the 22 August 2019.
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 19:21   #168
Melanie

The series has been started with flesh eating creatures and it will end with blood sucking vampyres.

HMW9: Bats (sometime in 2019)
Old Tuesday 24th July 2018, 10:21   #169
Melanie

Another book that is not about birds:

Vaquita: Science, Politics, and Crime in the Sea of Cortez by Brooke Bessesen

https://www.nhbs.com/vaquita-science...of-cortez-book
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 14:35   #170
WalterRayle
Emeritus Professor at the University of the Third Eye

I was looking forward to the Handbook of British Bees by George Else, having waited so many years for it, and used draft keys from it, I now understand it's being published in September. But! it's priced at £150! which begs the question, who on earth is that aimed at? certainly not amateurs like myself with a view to increasing and improving our knowledge of this group. I certainly won't be buying a copy at that price. I'm so grateful for Steve Falk's book that came out last year, even if some of the keys do leave me wanting a few more confirmatory characters for ID - I often find my self identifying them with Falk, then re-checking them with my draft copies of Else.

An opportunity to encourage more people to study British bees in more detail lost I'm afraid.
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 19:44   #171
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterRayle View Post
……….., who on earth is that aimed at? certainly not amateurs like myself …………….
An opportunity to encourage more people to study British bees in more detail lost I'm afraid.
I presume the vast majority of the assured copies are aimed at the library market (as long as real books are still being bought by them). So the authors/publishers need to make sure they can recover their costs via this relatively small segment.
!

Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 03:48   #172
aeshna5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterRayle View Post
I was looking forward to the Handbook of British Bees by George Else, having waited so many years for it, and used draft keys from it, I now understand it's being published in September. But! it's priced at £150! which begs the question, who on earth is that aimed at? certainly not amateurs like myself with a view to increasing and improving our knowledge of this group. I certainly won't be buying a copy at that price. I'm so grateful for Steve Falk's book that came out last year, even if some of the keys do leave me wanting a few more confirmatory characters for ID - I often find my self identifying them with Falk, then re-checking them with my draft copies of Else.

I'm with you on this! As a general naturalist I have a casual interest in this group + have several bee books but the price of this certainly deters me from purchasing this. Other than the institutes mentioned in the post by Swissboy only hardened hymenopterists are likely to purchase this so won't encompass those of us less dedicated to the group.
Old Saturday 15th September 2018, 13:43   #173
Melanie

The Wall of Birds: One Planet, 243 Families, 375 Million Years by Jane Kim and Thayer Walker

scheduled for December 2018

https://www.nhbs.com/the-wall-of-birds-book
Old Sunday 16th September 2018, 20:14   #174
Melanie

Photographers against Wildlife Crime

this book is currently only available on the website of the authors. I hope of a larger availability in the future.

http://www.photographersagainstwildlifecrime.com/
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 19:14   #175
JTweedie

David Attenborough's Life on Earth is released on 4 October to mark 40 years since it was first published. Completed updated with new photographs. https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780...life-on-earth/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: