Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 04:06   #76
fazalmajid
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeace View Post
With cheaper pocket bins they can seem dark with limited eye relief, but the Zeiss victory pocket 8x25 I have seems bright enough even at dusk comparing to a 42 and this is because sharpness and contrast are so good. Eye placement seems easy and of course compactness (with a different case to that supplied by Zeiss) is great, so I think you don't need a 42 if you have this.
Eye placement is the key to what makes the 8x25 Victory Pocket so special, at least for those of us wearing glasses. Most compacts are extremely finicky, this one is as easy to use as a 8x42. That doesn't mean you will get quite the same sharpness as a 8x42 (because of diffraction) and obviously it will be significantly dimmer.
fazalmajid is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 20th July 2018, 23:08   #77
tenex
Registered User
 
tenex's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I don't think a Victory 8X25 can replace a premium 8X42 to my eyes. How is the build quality of the glass?
Opinions seem to vary on this. People have said the armor feels cheap, the focus knob is dinky... I thought it was well made, apart from unfortunate defects in my two samples (possibly rushing production for Xmas?). The focusing felt just right, good eyecups and hinge tension etc.
tenex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd July 2018, 22:37   #78
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,165
Thanks Tenex good to know.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 07:20   #79
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,218
Hi Andy
I am on North Uist in the Scottish Western Isles and my 8x25 Victory has come with me. It did great duty on the last 200 miles of our drive north-west, hanging around my neck as we drove and it weighed 'nothing'. Since then it has been doing 'window duty' overlooking a fjord and has seen an otter and youngster, harbour seals and Red-throated Divers. Personally there is nothing about it I would call cheap-feeling and although the eyecups only have two positions they move with a feeling of precision that the eyecups on my SFs don't have. Yes the focus wheel is small but thats pocket binos for you. Since these binos could end up being carried in shirt pockets you don't want bulky armour or focus/dioptre wheels that could snag on clothing or add unnecessary weight.

The diopter is a fiddle to adjust but it is doable and once set it has been reliable. When 'armchair' testing these back home I tried them without spectacles and found the eyecups sank too close into my eye sockets due to their small diameter. Another consequence of their pocket-size I thought. But I grabbed them to check out something swimming in the fjord a few days back and because I didn't have my spectacles on at the time I pulled the eyecups up and to my surprise I put them up to my eyes and braced them instinctively under my eyebrows and got a great view of a Harbour Seal without any difficulty or blackouts. I tried this a few more times and found it easy to do so folks who don't wear spectacles shouldn't dismiss these little beauties.

Its hard to find anything to criticise these binos for apart from those things that spring from it being a pocket, folding bino. Optically they are really nice performers and even Alexis has enthused about their optics.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Monday 23rd July 2018 at 08:42.
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 08:22   #80
arran
Registered User
 
arran's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 145
I have been using my Zeiss victory 8x25 now for 1 week quite intensively and no negative aspect was found!
The focus is very smooth , the FOV is superb, no quality issues whatsoever
Even at dusk , the bin performs very well.
Eyeplacement is just superb , and my wife, who wears spectacles is very positive
I also have the impression that this small bin covers very well my astigmatism as well
Highly impressed!
arran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 14:21   #81
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,165
Lee,

Thanks for the info Lee, I am sure they are a fine glass, I only have one small Nikon LXL 8X20, they can fit a squirrel, I bought them out of curiosity and price. A relative of mine is looking at obtaining a good quality small glass and I told her to check the Victory and the Swaro, I told her don't waste your time looking at the smaller 8X20s, that these would be more user friendly. I have viewed through the Swaro 8X25, nice, but I just prefer a larger glass in hand. I told her many have opinions on them and that she should try for herself, they are available to her since she lives in the area of the bubble in Washington DC.

My small travel glass is the FL 8X32 and for me the best small glass for travel hands down.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd July 2018, 18:54   #82
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Lee,

Thanks for the info Lee, I am sure they are a fine glass, I only have one small Nikon LXL 8X20, they can fit a squirrel, I bought them out of curiosity and price. A relative of mine is looking at obtaining a good quality small glass and I told her to check the Victory and the Swaro, I told her don't waste your time looking at the smaller 8X20s, that these would be more user friendly. I have viewed through the Swaro 8X25, nice, but I just prefer a larger glass in hand. I told her many have opinions on them and that she should try for herself, they are available to her since she lives in the area of the bubble in Washington DC.

My small travel glass is the FL 8X32 and for me the best small glass for travel hands down.

Andy W.
You are welcome Andy. For sure the 8x25, as good as it is, would never replace 32s or 42s for me but it is really fine at what it does. As for your FL 8x32s: no argument there and long may you enjoy them.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 24th July 2018, 05:57   #83
wdc
Registered User
 
wdc's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moraga, California
Posts: 278
I picked up a pair a few months ago, due to the positive reviews about them on the forum. I'm wearing glasses, and the fit is fine. Moreover the portability of them does make a difference. I just finished teaching a painting workshop up in the Sierra Buttes area of California for a week. I outfitted my pair with a small Nikon strap, and an Opticron rain guard, as recommended by several folks on this site, then carried them in my shirt pocket. in this way they stayed protected, weighed next to nothing in my pocket, and were available for viewing throughout the week as we painted in various locations, just in case a bird showed up. I did not use them as much as I hoped, but it didn't matter, because they were no burden at all, and were conveniently on hand. I will be hiking into the Ansel Adams wilderness in a few weeks with art supplies, and the victory pockets will be coming with me. The mules will bring in some larger bins to use, once I'm in camp, but these are the ones for the trail.

Yes, they are much darker in low light than the 32's and 42's I've got, but in bright daylight they are fine. I compared them with a pair of Pentax 8x25's I've had for many years, and FOV and brightness are a noticeable step up with the Zeiss.

-Bill
wdc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 19:51   #84
ailevin
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 275
Bill,

Which Opticron rain guard?

Thanks,
Alan
ailevin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th July 2018, 23:30   #85
wdc
Registered User
 
wdc's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moraga, California
Posts: 278
This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Opticron-3102...ars+rain+guard

Even better, it came with no manufacturer's name on it. In the photo below it is attached to the cord with a zip tie.

-Bill

p.s. The photo thumbnail is upside down, but appears right side up when you click on it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	669365  
wdc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 6th August 2018, 20:11   #86
ailevin
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 275
Bill,

I received the Opticron rain guard, and it's a clever design that works well. Now if we could only get some rain here. The marshes are very dry. OTH shorebird migration is picking up.

Thanks Again,

Alan
ailevin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 08:58   #87
Dubois1966
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London
Posts: 10
I've been looking for a pocket sized pair of binoculars for a few months, and decided, after looking at the SW CL Pocket 8x25, the Leica Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25, to plump for the Victory Pocket.

I ordered a pair, thinking they would be delivered in a week or so, but it's now nearly 3 weeks waiting,

Can anyone tell me what a typical delivery time from Zeiss to their dealer would be? I'm getting impatient!
Dubois1966 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 15:44   #88
wdc
Registered User
 
wdc's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moraga, California
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post
Bill,

I received the Opticron rain guard, and it's a clever design that works well. Now if we could only get some rain here. The marshes are very dry. OTH shorebird migration is picking up.

Thanks Again,

Alan
Glad you got it. If there is no rain to keep off, perhaps it will protect the eyepieces from ash... ;-)

-B.
wdc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 22:08   #89
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubois1966 View Post
I've been looking for a pocket sized pair of binoculars for a few months, and decided, after looking at the SW CL Pocket 8x25, the Leica Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25, to plump for the Victory Pocket.

I ordered a pair, thinking they would be delivered in a week or so, but it's now nearly 3 weeks waiting,

Can anyone tell me what a typical delivery time from Zeiss to their dealer would be? I'm getting impatient!
I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?


Marc
marcsantacurz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 9th August 2018, 23:32   #90
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?


Marc
Zeiss is the most frustrating binocular company in the USA to deal with. (It is probably the same way in Europe.) Especially if you are a potential buyer.

They have a toll free phone number in the USA you can call for support and (hopefully) information. See the link below. Perhaps they have a number which you can call in Britain too? Good Luck!

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...tact-form.html

Bob

PS: The Victory Compacts are also back ordered at EuroOptik and are not even listed on Camera Land's web site.

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 9th August 2018 at 23:57. Reason: Post Script added.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th August 2018, 05:25   #91
paddy7
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: suffolk
Posts: 538
In defence of Zeiss in the UK (and not regarding a retail issue) i've had two minor issues dealt with swiftly (and free of charge) and communication could be measured in days. This was through dealing with their UK centre just outside Cambridge.
paddy7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 10th August 2018, 10:33   #92
Dubois1966
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London
Posts: 10
For some strange reason I never thought of contacting Zeiss directly. I just called the UK number on their website, and was put through to Sales (in Germany, I guess). It seems that the Victory Pockets are not available at the moment, but should be shipped at the end of the month.
Dubois1966 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 06:53   #93
PeterPS
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stanford and Uppsala
Posts: 648
Bob,

I have dealt with Zeiss CS in both the US and Germany and I received excellent service from both. I think the secret is to have direct contact info for a CS representative (email or phone number); I'd expect that indeed if you just call a toll-free number the situation could be different. In particular imo Zeiss CS in Germany is almost as good as Swaro's.

Peter


Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Zeiss is the most frustrating binocular company in the USA to deal with. (It is probably the same way in Europe.) Especially if you are a potential buyer.

They have a toll free phone number in the USA you can call for support and (hopefully) information. See the link below. Perhaps they have a number which you can call in Britain too? Good Luck!

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...tact-form.html

Bob

PS: The Victory Compacts are also back ordered at EuroOptik and are not even listed on Camera Land's web site.
PeterPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 07:07   #94
PeterPS
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stanford and Uppsala
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
I've been looking at both the Zeiss Victory Pocket and TFL (8x32) on B&H for a couple weeks, and they have been saying "more on the way" for quite a while. Amazon only has them through focuscamera in stock and who knows if that's a USA model. Adorama is special order on both x32 and backorderd on both Victory pocket.

Don't know if this means anything.... Are they too popular, is Zeiss stuck on production or import, or is there a product line changeup coming (just to spread random rumors)?


Marc
I do not know about the Victory Pocket, but I am pretty sure that the Victory FL 32mm are produced almost on demand. The FL 32mm are excellent binos (I have both the FL 8x32 and 10x32 and find them as good as my SV and EDG 32mm) but they are an old model and it seems that there isn't a lot of demand for them any longer. So I am afraid the fact that they are on backorder does not mean anything, despite the fact that rumors might suggest that they will be replaced by SF 32mm (the Bird Fair is just a few days away, so we'll know soon).

Last edited by PeterPS : Saturday 11th August 2018 at 15:20.
PeterPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 20:45   #95
Dubois1966
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London
Posts: 10
I'm pleased to say that my Victory pockets arrived this week, so the Zeiss estimate of 4 weeks was spot on.

I haven't had a chance to take them out yet (I might go over to Walthamstow Wetlands tomorrow), but first impressions are very good. The case is ludicrous, as everyone has pointed out, so I need to find a smaller one, and I'd like to pick up the Optocron rainguard.
Dubois1966 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 31st August 2018, 20:07   #96
ailevin
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 275
Just a quick follow up report. I have been using my Zeiss 8x25 for about three months now, and it has become my most used binocular. I have no binocular that performs better in terms of getting on target and seeing what there is to see under most daytime conditions. That performance includes excellent optical quality and outstanding handling characteristics. The only caveat is that phrase "most daytime conditions." As the available light decreases at dawn or dusk or in a sufficiently shaded thicket, of course I would prefer a larger high quality aperture. But if I want more aperture, I use 9x45. While it is possible that an 8x30 or 8x32 might best the Zeiss 8x25 under just the right low light conditions, I much prefer the little Zeiss to any of my 30/32mm binoculars.

A number of other factors have brought the Zeiss 8x25 Victory to the top of my most used list. I have been traveling much more than usual this summer, and I generally bring a more compact binocular when I travel (in the past it was the Maven B3 8x30). Also, I have the 8x25 with me most of the time in my backpack since it is compact and relatively light weight. One other factor is that I have begun to carry a compact zoom camera regularly, so I am mildly less likely to reach for my larger, heavier Maven 9x45 unless observing conditions demand it.

I wouldn't consider this a pocket pocket binocular if you are wearing a typical dress shirt or sport shirt or pants more tailored than cargo pants. But it is no problem in a jacket pocket, or baggy pants pocket, or even in a fishing or outdoors type shirt with gusset in the shirt pocket.

There is no perfect binocular, but for me this hits the mark by making many of the right decisions/compromises in designing and building a compact binocular.

Alan
ailevin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 02:08   #97
wdc
Registered User
 
wdc's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moraga, California
Posts: 278
Alan, Your review sums up many of my own impressions of the 8x25 pocket. I took it on several trips this summer, including a pack trip into the Ansel Adams Wilderness for 6 days. By then I'd dialed in the strap and eye cover setup based on previous recommendations on this thread. I also wore an ex-officio shirt that had a very wide shirt pocket held by a velcro flap. While hiking, I kept it in that pocket with the strap loose around my neck, then if I wanted to start birding, or just perusing views, it was quick, easy access, with almost zero weight on the neck for most of the journey. It is a sharp, lightweight optic. I wear glasses, by the way, and I'm fine with the eye relief on this Binocular. But your own experience may vary.

I did test it at dusk, looking out the kitchen window at the bird feeder, and the light loss was clearly evident, compared to larger apertures. An 8x42 at dusk or even deep, cloudy weather will immediately show a difference. But in bright daylight at 9,000 feet, this handy optical device will fill the bill.

Its a keeper.

-Bill
wdc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 04:56   #98
adhoc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Anon.
Posts: 467
How much more light one needs at twilight and at night is with most of us rather arbitrary! Unless one possesses a wide range of models the choice of the other binocular/s may be decided by its/their appeal at other times also.

Light gathering ratio (mm, at the same magnification, say 8x)
32 vs 25: 1.6 times more
42 vs 32: 1.7
42 vs 25: 2.8
56 vs 42: 1.8

We could also note
- The optical quality of the instruments compared is critical. Actually the task is more difficult for the bigger, with a bigger entry pupil.
- For twilight and for night detail is maximized by 2 different color renditions, i.e. transmission curves.

I have decided to go it, at least try, with only the Victory 8x25 and a 15x50!

Last edited by adhoc : Saturday 1st September 2018 at 05:36.
adhoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 06:11   #99
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
How much more light one needs at twilight and at night is with most of us rather arbitrary! Unless one possesses a wide range of models the choice of the other binocular/s may be decided by its/their appeal at other times also.

Light gathering ratio (mm, at the same magnification, say 8x)
32 vs 25: 1.6 times more
42 vs 32: 1.7
42 vs 25: 2.8
56 vs 42: 1.8

We could also note
- The optical quality of the instruments compared is critical. Actually the task is more difficult for the bigger, with a bigger entry pupil.
- For twilight and for night detail is maximized by 2 different color renditions, i.e. transmission curves.

I have decided to go it, at least try, with only the Victory 8x25 and a 15x50!
Neat summary Adhoc. Thanks for posting.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 1st September 2018, 14:17   #100
arran
Registered User
 
arran's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post
Just a quick follow up report. I have been using my Zeiss 8x25 for about three months now, and it has become my most used binocular. I have no binocular that performs better in terms of getting on target and seeing what there is to see under most daytime conditions. That performance includes excellent optical quality and outstanding handling characteristics. The only caveat is that phrase "most daytime conditions." As the available light decreases at dawn or dusk or in a sufficiently shaded thicket, of course I would prefer a larger high quality aperture. But if I want more aperture, I use 9x45. While it is possible that an 8x30 or 8x32 might best the Zeiss 8x25 under just the right low light conditions, I much prefer the little Zeiss to any of my 30/32mm binoculars.

A number of other factors have brought the Zeiss 8x25 Victory to the top of my most used list. I have been traveling much more than usual this summer, and I generally bring a more compact binocular when I travel (in the past it was the Maven B3 8x30). Also, I have the 8x25 with me most of the time in my backpack since it is compact and relatively light weight. One other factor is that I have begun to carry a compact zoom camera regularly, so I am mildly less likely to reach for my larger, heavier Maven 9x45 unless observing conditions demand it.

I wouldn't consider this a pocket pocket binocular if you are wearing a typical dress shirt or sport shirt or pants more tailored than cargo pants. But it is no problem in a jacket pocket, or baggy pants pocket, or even in a fishing or outdoors type shirt with gusset in the shirt pocket.

There is no perfect binocular, but for me this hits the mark by making many of the right decisions/compromises in designing and building a compact binocular.

Alan

Alan

I have mine now for about 2 months in use know and am very satisfied with them!
They astonish me every time I use them , they have great FOV and great contrast
Also at low light conditions they do a great job
Enjoy yours!
arran is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 vs. Swarovski CL Pocket Mountain 8x25 vs. Zeiss Victory 8x25 Common Raven Binoculars 27 Saturday 14th April 2018 21:26
Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 rainguards available? dvergfalk Zeiss 2 Monday 29th January 2018 20:37
Pocket bino choice, Leica Ultravid 8x20 vs Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 etc. nestara Binoculars 49 Monday 13th June 2016 10:25
Swarovski 8x25 Pocket CL dmcharg Swarovski 5 Monday 11th January 2016 15:45
New pocket 8x25 cl harold9649 Swarovski 10 Saturday 21st September 2013 20:30

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.29725504 seconds with 38 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:32.