Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What to wear when birding?!

Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 08:30   #26
SimonC
Still listing - I'll capsize one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
Are you sure thats how you spell chiffon?

Oh dear rogerk it seems you are bitter and a little twisted ....take two before bed! LOL
Oh dear sleeper, it seems you didn't have a dictionary to hand before making smart*rsed comments:

chiffon
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 08:43   #27
Andrew
wibble wibble

Beware Regatta waterproof jackets, I have a green one and the outside layer is not waterproof. When it rains heavy the material takes on water and it bleed inside the cuff meaning cold and wet wrists.

Can't afford a new one right now so I am stuck with it. Even a good dose of Fabsil didn't cure it.
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 11:24   #28
christine

Hi folks,
well theres a beweildering amount of choice out there,what ever happened to the trusty old "pack-a-mac"?!!Lost in the mists of time i guess.
Anyway,im off to cut some arm holes out of a bin liner...oh,and a nice chiffon scarf to set it all off!

Christine
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 13:14   #29
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

In cold conditions (most of the time over here!):
Canvas walking boots, thick socks, moleskin trousers, T-shirt, moleskin shirt, Cornish fisherman's jumper, ¾ Barbour, woolly hat and mittens.
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 13:58   #30
SimonC

Being an impoverished birder, I tend to wear a lot of army surplus! (all at the same time - layering you see!)
Seriously though, you can't beat a "Norgie" as a "mid-layer" and you'd also be hard pushed to find a lighter/quieter/faster drying windproof (even if completely soaked!!) jacket than a Marines/SAS issue smock
Though these are getting extremely rare now & I'm dreading the day mine finally needs replacing (they regularly fetch upwards of £120 on eBay!!)

And yes, Ladies tights under trousers on very cold days are something well worth considering (just don't get knocked down by any buses whilst wearing them Gents! )

Cheers
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:41   #31
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC
Oh dear sleeper, it seems you didn't have a dictionary to hand before making smart*rsed comments:

chiffon
I am sorry you felt the need to reply to this post simon as it was never meant as A smart comment. It was wriiten in the same frame as the original "sarcastic" manner, which I found amusing.

I have to say that my grammer and spelling are not up to high standards but i would hope this does not make me a lesser birder and as such welcome to post on this site.

rogerk i apologise if you have taken offense to my post and I say this with my fog eyed wellies on!!
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:53   #32
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Beware Regatta waterproof jackets, I have a green one and the outside layer is not waterproof. When it rains heavy the material takes on water and it bleed inside the cuff meaning cold and wet wrists.

Can't afford a new one right now so I am stuck with it. Even a good dose of Fabsil didn't cure it.
I think Regatta have improved dramatically in this past year or two - they seem to have cornered a good slice of the market.
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:56   #33
IanF

I have a couple of Regatta coats too and I agree that they seem to ahve far beter products that just a few years back. I have just bought a Peter Storm lightwieght breathable waterproof which looked to be better than a Berghaus at twice the price.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:57   #34
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
I am sorry you felt the need to reply to this post simon as it was never meant as A smart comment. It was wriiten in the same frame as the original "sarcastic" manner, which I found amusing.

I have to say that my grammer and spelling are not up to high standards but i would hope this does not make me a lesser birder and as such welcome to post on this site.

rogerk i apologise if you have taken offense to my post and I say this with my fog eyed wellies on!!
I thought it was Roger, not you, 'sleeper' (oh how I wish we would sign off with our real names!) who, if anyone, "deserved" that kind of comment - but I think we all saw the humour. If they watch birds rather than shoot them I don't care whether they wear chiffon or not; but my view of RSPB birdwatchers is not quite so jaundiced. We had a similar comment about Swarovski birders recently, and then not so long before that about the "red spot" brigade.

All very odd but human nature nonetheless. I know that since I stopped walking around with older birding gear around my neck I have noticed one or two birders give me a knowing look (no - not that kind of look!). One, who I was talking to recently, even commented,"You're new to birding, then, are you?" - I'd never have had that assumption in the old days - and I guess he was thinking the same kind of thoughts that beset Roger!

Last edited by scampo : Thursday 5th February 2004 at 18:04.
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:58   #35
christine

Simon,
I would never had thought of army surplus but as luck would have it,theres an army surplus store called "laurence corner" not far from me,i'll check it out.
Thanks for the tip!

Christine
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:59   #36
pduxon
Quacked up Member

I bought a fold-up Peter Storm waterproof jacket. sits at the bottom of the rucksack. Very handy in the UK!!

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:14   #37
Sleeper

I realise this is a difficult question to answer but could anybody give any ideas for a good pair of gloves that keep hands warm without the bulk? I am normally fine with the fingerless gloves but my wife always struggles with cold hands.

In a past post somebody mentioned fingerless gloves with fold down fingers , as such. are these reassonably warm? thanks
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:20   #38
scampo
Steve Campsall

If you call into a mountaineering shop (they seem to be in all cities these days - even Loughborough has one!) - you will find plenty on offer - although at a price. I bought a pair of windproof gloves from our local shop that are quite thin but which have been as warm and dry as the salesman promised - they easily allow me to use my scopes and bins with them on.

My son has a piar of fingerless gloves that have a mitten and thumb part that folds over to cover the fingerless glove part (sorry about the poor description). They work quite well but the cold air still gets in a little!
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:23   #39
christine

Hi sleeper,
my daughters friend bought a pair of those gloves in "gap" of all places recently.Just plain black fingerless ones with a fold down mitten attached.

Christine
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:24   #40
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Quote:
I realise this is a difficult question to answer but could anybody give any ideas for a good pair of gloves that keep hands warm without the bulk? I am normally fine with the fingerless gloves but my wife always struggles with cold hands.

In a past post somebody mentioned fingerless gloves with fold down fingers , as such. are these reassonably warm? thanks
yeah they're pretty good. They should sell them in any RSPB reserve shop.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:35   #41
Sleeper

Thanks for the ideas ......flowers or gloves I ask myself!
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:54   #42
pauco
Старлинг фан

Flowers or gloves!! Sleeper realy, both my man. you never know when you need those brownie points.

Paul.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th February 2004, 05:52   #43
very boring banned member

Two schools from Finland:
Naturist Twitchers do it without clothes;
http://www.julkistila.com/naturistis...p?pg=kuvia&s=1
and The Ornite Order is quite the opposite..
http://groups.msn.com/Beo/orniteorder.msnw
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 08:07   #44
Adey Baker

I've used a Country Innovation Harrier fleece for a while now.

It's not 100% waterproof so it's not suitable for all weather but I've found it very well made and comfortable.

On a lighter note, Iwork in the hosiery industry so can anyone buying tights to wear under their trousers please make sure you 'Buy British!'

Would I wear them? You've got to be joking!

Actually, for very cold weather, I've got a thermal undersuit that was made where my wife works. The largest size that they made was worn by actor Brian Blessed when he went climbing on Everest so it's good enough for any weather this country can throw at it.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th February 2004, 08:14   #45
SimonC

Quote:

Duh!!! If you can see the funny side of rogerk's post, how can you not see the funny side of mine???!?!?!?!?!
You have to remember, that Roger has been my best friend for over 18 yrs, I knew he was "fishing" & seeing as you took the bait, I thought I might give him a hand reeling you in while he was at work
Like I've always said, forums like this need a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley just so everybody can spot light-hearted sarcasm!

Roger won't have been offended, btw, but you might have played a bit more before spitting the hook out!
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 08:59   #46
SimonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karwin
Two schools from Finland:
Naturist Twitchers do it without clothes;
http://www.julkistila.com/naturistis...p?pg=kuvia&s=1
and The Ornite Order is quite the opposite..
http://groups.msn.com/Beo/orniteorder.msnw
The Ornite Order....what a brilliant idea! I wish i'd thought of it....especially this bit (from the bottom of the linked site) :

Want to join us? It’s as simple as this: just send Your binoculars, telescopes + paraboloid mirrors to the Ornite Waste Disposal Headquarters. Devoted members are also encouraged to spread word from Ornite Order: next time You visit public (or private) toilet, just sign “OO RULES” on the door.

I could do with a few more 'scopes & bins!!!!!
& I wonder what the bit I've highlighted in blue really means??
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 13:32   #47
christine

So why wouldnt you wear tights then Adey?!
A great invention if you ask me,or maybe your a stockings and suspenders man?!!

Christine
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 15:23   #48
tomreid24

On the head : baseball cap in summer;choice of lowe alpine mountain cap w/proof & earflaps;fleece cap (scottish ornithologist club logo) or berghaus neck gaiter cum hat (covers the ears too) in winter.
Torso:thermal t-shirt;polo or pocketed shirt;sweatshirt or fleece jumper;fleece jckt;outer shell choice of ventile or a country innovation lightweight but w/proof jckt (£65 in rspb shop).
Trousers : regatta action multi pockets lined and unlined, bargains at c. £20 & £25 (better value than rohans).Regatta w/proof trousers that aren't over trousers but are worn as normal.Thermal bottoms if needed.
Footwear:Karrimor ksb goretex; scarpa 4 season;wellies or new balance all-terrain trainers.
Hands:Found a berghaus type that are thin enough to use eqipment and very warm.Have tried gloves that have been too thick,fingerless that just make fingertips cold and the ones with flap that was just fiddly and ultimately frustrating.
As with optics,every ounce of weight will tell on you unless you're going to be static.
Tom.
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 15:38   #49
Adey Baker

Hi Christine

It's the thought of 'being caught' wearing them!

Having worked in the hosiery industry for over 30 years I've made literally millions of them! - tight, pop-socks, stockings - the lot. So they don't do a lot for me, unfortunately!

Adey

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th February 2004, 19:14   #50
Sleeper

Busmans holiday I guess Adey!

Anyway lets look forward to Summer clothing. Has anybody found the best fast wicking tops that do not cost the earth?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: