Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ats 80hd

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2003, 07:20   #1
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Ats 80hd

Well after 20-odd years of persisting with my Kowa TS-1, I finally took the plunge and bought a replacement which duly arrived yesterday afternoon. A shiny new Swarovski ATS 80HD. Wow! what a beast - the image is stunning and definitely better than anything I have used in the past (Kowa 823/Leica APO77 etc etc). I love the focusing ring, the rubber armouring and general ergonomics.
However, I do have a couple of gripes that people may be interested in - not with the scope, I fail to see how it could be bettered.
1) As part of the deal to buy the scope, I got a free Skua stay-on case. Now, I have seen these used on Leicas and Kowas and they seem to be very good - especially access to the focussing wheels - but the one for the ATS is a real pain. I actually have to remove 3 parts of the case to be able to use my scope (2 lense caps and and a Velro attached band that goes round the body of the scope at the point of the focussing ring. A very poor design.
The case is now residing at the bottom of my wardrobe and is unlikely to see the light of day.
2) I also bought (£60) an LCE digiscoping adaptor for my coolpix4500 which is supposed to be specifically for the ATS. There are 3 screws to fix the adaptor to the zoom eyepiece which can result in it being mounted off-centre and thus I might be unable to zoom properly as half of the image can disappear! But the worst thing of all, is the distance between the lense of the Coolpix and the eyepiece of the ATS - almost 3cm!! Can you imagine the vignetting? Even with the rubber eyepiece removed from the scope, the adaptor does not allow for the camera to be any closer to the scope. The reason for this is simple. Halfway down the barrell of the adaptor is a chamfer which reduces it's internal diameter by about 3mm preventing it from sliding all the way down the eyepiece.
It's so bad I've decided to bite the bullet and buy the Swarovski adaptor at £109.
Anyone want to buy a completely useless digiscoping adaptor for their Swarovski and a never used Kowa stay-on case?
Old Wednesday 4th June 2003, 12:03   #2
Nick-on

Had the same problem with the Skua SOC for my Nikon fieldscope. I was so baffled I had to ring up the manufacturer to find out how it worked! It is tedious but I am getting used to it. Wish I'd bought the Nikon SOC though. At least you got your SOC free!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wednesday 4th June 2003, 12:14   #3
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Yeah, I know Nick-on. I'll probably stick with it to be honest - I'm just not known for my patience and if it doesn't work in the first 5 minutes it gets consigned to the useless bin! I'll give it another go at weekend.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2003, 20:16   #4
grahams

I have a Coolpix4500 and use it with an LCE adapter on a Swarovski ATS 80HD scope and do not appear to have any problem with it . I leave the rubber eyepiece in place and just slip the LCE adapter over it, but I only use one screw. The one on top, the other two I have removed.
It sounds like you are trying to fix the adapter to the scope just onto the rubber eyepiece. The adapter is designed to push right over the zoom lens control, which obviously stops you zooming the scope with the camera in place.
I zoom the scope until I have the subject matter at a reasonable size and then slip the camera onto the scope and use the camera zoom to enlarge the image.
I set the camera to manual aperture control and manual focus with the focus set to infinity.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2003, 22:07   #5
normjackson

Interesting hearing your problems with SOCs. On an unrelated issue, anyone watch "Britain's Cleverest Animal" on the Beeb this evening?
Old Thursday 5th June 2003, 06:44   #6
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Sorry Graham, there's no way this adaptor is going to slide all the way over the zoom lense control. It don't fit. With or without the ribber eyepiece. I've even had 1mm skimmed from the inside of the adaptor and it ain't changed anything. As I said above, it's this chamfer that is half-way down the inside of the adaptor barrell that is the problem. Perhaps I got sent the wrong one? Can't do anything about that now that I've had it 'adapted'....
Old Friday 6th June 2003, 01:09   #7
Felipe

Gentlemen: Go to www.dlc.fi/~artoj/vehkeet
Hope this helps.
Felipe
Old Sunday 1st February 2004, 23:38   #8
wizard

SOC free or half price?

I am thinking of getting the ATS80HD, just reading your comments i am having second thoughts on the case. i have not seen either cases but would the original Swarvo case be better than a Skua??????

please help before i tare my hair out (whats left of it)

Old Monday 2nd February 2004, 07:54   #9
Andrew Diment

Wizard, I don't think you'll find anyone that has the Swarovski SOC yet. Apparently, they have not yet made any!

As for the Skua, it sounds very similar to mine which is Ace Optics own design. It too is a pain when out in the field, having to tear the velcro apart to get at the focusing ring. I tend to leave it off unless I want to carry the scope separately from the tripod. Then the carrying strap comes in very useful. I'm begining to think though, that carrying the scope attached to the tripod may be easier than carrying them separately so my case may also end up at the bottom of my wardrobe before long.
Old Monday 2nd February 2004, 08:19   #10
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard
I am thinking of getting the ATS80HD, just reading your comments i am having second thoughts on the case. i have not seen either cases but would the original Swarvo case be better than a Skua??????

please help before i tare my hair out (whats left of it)

We bought an ATS80HD at Warehouse Express, and took up their offer of a half price Swarovski case. We knew it was out of stock at the time - we're just hoping it won't be too long before it arrives!!!!
Old Monday 2nd February 2004, 17:19   #11
IanF

Still waiting for my Swaro case too!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd February 2004, 17:25   #12
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Ian - I've just had a look at the Warehouse Express site, and it gives the impression that the cover for the angled scope is now available.
Old Monday 2nd February 2004, 17:31   #13
IanF

Thankyou for that Elizabeth,

That's where I got mine so hopefully it will be coming in the post. They did say it would be early Feb so I guess they were right

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd February 2004, 20:54   #14
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

CJ,interested in your comments re the Swar adaptor versus the LCE.I bought the Swar adaptor with the scope,and could not make any headway with it,(I have just sold it,on the Forum,hope it is okay Nigel!!),I then purchased an Eagle optics one,which I used all summer,it was okay,but was very fiddly and difficult to take on and off when needing to re focus,and I kept losing the screws.So after reading Andy's comments re the LCE ,sent for one,and it is "Magic",slides all the way down,I have removed the lense cap thread which was dangling all summer,it only needs to be held by one screw,and there was no "arcking" (sorry ,totally misspelt!!),cannot spell the "v" word,and I took a reasonable pic ,the first time I used it.So ,if I can use it,must be idiot proof.
But the Skua case,yes another matter,it was put into the back of a drawer,and there it will stay.I transport the scope in a carry case,so it is protected,when not in use,and just found it got in the way of the adaptor,esp the Swar one.
Christine

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:36   #15
IanF

My Swaro case arrived today and it's a superb piece of kit - far better than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 139ao.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	5390  

Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 17:43   #16
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF
My Swaro case arrived today and it's a superb piece of kit - far better than I expected.
You pays your money - we are certainly very pleased with ours.
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 18:24   #17
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Quote:
Ooh! that looks like a much better fit. Though the fabric reminds me of the Lycra outfits worn on Blake's 7
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 22:17   #18
Ragna

Looked at the Swarovski case at the Brd Fair last August it looked a very well made item,Iam suprised its taken so long to get in the shops.
Old Thursday 5th February 2004, 23:01   #19
Edward woodwood

a case for a fully waterproof scope - whatever next!

don't have time in the field to deal with these cases.....
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 06:59   #20
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
a case for a fully waterproof scope - whatever next!

don't have time in the field to deal with these cases.....
Come off it Tim!
A well designed case is an important piece of kit. Yes, the ATS80HD is waterproof, but the case gives added protection against the bumps and bangs that are inevitable with a hardworking birder such as yourself.

Chris
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 07:55   #21
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
A bit flash, eh! That'll draw a bit of attention in the bird hides!
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 07:57   #22
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW
Come off it Tim!
A well designed case is an important piece of kit. Yes, the ATS80HD is waterproof, but the case gives added protection against the bumps and bangs that are inevitable with a hardworking birder such as yourself.

Chris
Tim has a good point - my son has the Swaro 65 and the not-so-good Skua case - but with 100% waterproofing and a complete thick protective rubber covering (which must add to the price a good deal) I must say I often wonder why the case is needed. It's a bit like my mother-in-law who puts covers over everything, sometimes covers over covers.
Old Friday 6th February 2004, 11:11   #23
Leif
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo
Tim has a good point - my son has the Swaro 65 and the not-so-good Skua case - but with 100% waterproofing and a complete thick protective rubber covering (which must add to the price a good deal) I must say I often wonder why the case is needed. It's a bit like my mother-in-law who puts covers over everything, sometimes covers over covers.
I've seen quite a new Swaros in the field without a SOC. Seems to me though that were the scope to tumble, the absence of the SOC would expose the eyepieces and other metal bits to potential damage.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th February 2004, 11:33   #24
Colin
Axeman (Retired)

Yep, I have a habit of carrying my Kowa 824 scope over my shoulder on the tripod and occasionally the scope hits the roof of a doorway or at Slimbridge, the roof of a tunnel to one of the hides but the SOC has saved it from damage. It has even accidentally blown over in a gale at Eyebrook Reservoir in Leicestershire and survived. Fortunately to help it fell on the grass and got muddy but someone elses scope fell on the tarmac and when he next looked through it at the only gull on the water, he could see hundreds of gulls - one of the prisms had crazed - expensive!!

My SOC has also saved the scope from general abrasion. In fact the case had worn through in parts from many trips lying in the back of a Landrover and driven over rough, real off road, terrain while doing Lapwing and Redshank breeding surveys on the Severn Estuary. I had to sew replacement canvas over the rubbed out holes. So in summary, I would always go for a SOC.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th February 2004, 15:47   #25
tomreid24

Recently at one of our rspb/soc outdoor meets a members swaro 65 was blown over onto tarmac.A horrified look on their face was soon gone as I assured them that it was ok.They didn't have a cover but there were no marks whatsoever on the scope and the optics were fine.I use a skua case to keep the scope clean in case of future sale or trade in.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: