Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica APO 77

Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 10:14   #1
Brendan Doe

Leica APO 77

Dear BF

Ace Optics of bath are doing the Leica Apo 77 +32 x lens for £799 just now.

This seems a good buy - but before i take the plunge can anybody offer me their opinions on this scope? I want to use it for birding and digiscoping. Any pointers would be welcomed. Is the new Swaro reallly £400 pounds better?

cheers, Brendan
Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 10:43   #2
robinm

I have a Leica APO 77 and the 32w eyepiece which I use for birding and digiscoping and I am very happy with it. I chose it because along side other makes because I preferred it, although we are talking fairly marginal differences. I also use Leica bins and maybe my eyes just work better with their optics - I don't know.
  1. I have not tried the new Swaro so can't comment on whether it is £400 better.
  2. Whatever you buy if you are spending that much money I would recommend you try first. There may a feature of a particular scope that affects your decision.
Good luck.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 15:32   #3
dogfish

The Leica looks a good buy at those prices. It's a fine scope, so highly personal judgements come into play. I decided against one years ago because to my eyes there was a strong yellow-brown cast, but others would probably not see this. Eyes are different. Also in those days the zoom was not very good but has since been greatly improved, I believe. I think you'll find both old and (especially) new Swarovskis are brighter.
Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 15:45   #4
robinm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfish
I decided against one years ago because to my eyes there was a strong yellow-brown cast, but others would probably not see this. Eyes are different.
Brendan, this illustrates perfectly why you should try before buying. The reason I prefer Leica to Swaro is I think the colour is more natural. I find Swaro (and their bins in particular) give a yellow cast. The fact that dogfish and I can both be right is why you need to try.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 16:33   #5
Jane Turner

The Leica was the sharpest scope when I did a pre Swarowski comparison... it a heavy beast though

Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 18:21   #6
tomreid24

Brendan,
I used to have the leica but increasingly found myself leaving it at home if I intended walking any distance.Now have swaro 65,much easier to carry,much less bulky and optics on a par with the 77.The only thing now is to swap my manfrotto tripod for a carbon fibre.If you've any experience of hill walking you'll know that every ounce counts.But it is an excellent scope.
Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 18:41   #7
Pie Face

Sounds like some of you Leica 77 owners should visit the gym more often

I have an apo77 with a zoom and regularly carry it around, on my Manfrotto tripod, all day, without any troubles. A simple answer to the Swaro' question is no it's not worth another £400. Whilst the Leica is heavy it also feels very well built and gives you the impression that you could knock nails in with it. The Swaro' whilst very light (an attraction for the wimps among us) feels very fragile and delicate. I have compared the 2 together and much prefered the more natural brightness, contrast and true colour feel to the Leica. I would seriously recommend that any would be purchaser tries them out, and don't forget the Zeiss, Nikon and Kowa's. Though the latter really is very fragile.

Mark
Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 19:56   #8
deboo

Brendan,

I have a secondhand Apo 77....I love it!
Try the others too.....they're bound to be good.

Dave.
Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 20:02   #9
Brendan Doe

Thanks for the replies and advice.

The Leica apo scopes at £799 had all been snapped up by the time i rang up

I have looked through both the Apo 77 and the new Swaro but never side by side for comparison. My feeling is that the Swaro couldn't possibly be worth £400 more than the APO

I quite like the look of the new 82mm Nikon as well - I know there have been some good reports from BF members about them. Has anybody bought this set up with Nikons Didgi adaptor and could comment on how good or otherwise this adaptor is?
There are some cracking bundle deals with this scope and nikon coolpix 4500 and Nikon adaptor at the moment.
Old Thursday 19th February 2004, 21:45   #10
Ragna

I use the Swarovski Ats80 hd and am very pleased with it,not sure its worth £400 more than the Leica.But i do think its very well made.The reason the Leica is such a good deal at the moment could be its been out a long time and must be due for replacement.If your thinking of digiscoping then the deal that W/House Express are doing at the moment with the Nikon 82 scope and coolpix 4500 camera looks excellent value.Had a very quick look through a Nikon82 scope the other day at some Tree Sparrows (but was'nt able to compare it with my Swarovski) and considered the image to be very sharp and bright.Well worth considering.
Old Sunday 7th March 2004, 20:30   #11
Leif
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Doe
Thanks for the replies and advice.

The Leica apo scopes at £799 had all been snapped up by the time i rang up

I have looked through both the Apo 77 and the new Swaro but never side by side for comparison. My feeling is that the Swaro couldn't possibly be worth £400 more than the APO

I quite like the look of the new 82mm Nikon as well - I know there have been some good reports from BF members about them. Has anybody bought this set up with Nikons Didgi adaptor and could comment on how good or otherwise this adaptor is?
There are some cracking bundle deals with this scope and nikon coolpix 4500 and Nikon adaptor at the moment.
Did you make a decision?

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th March 2004, 21:07   #12
scampo
Steve Campsall

[quote=Brendan Doe]. Has anybody bought this set up with Nikons Didgi adaptor and could comment on how good or otherwise this adaptor is?
QUOTE]

The Nikon adapter is superbly made and works a dream with the Nikon 900/4500 series being very easy to remove and replace/lock.
Old Sunday 7th March 2004, 21:11   #13
Edward woodwood

and don't forget the Nikon ED78 at a MUCH cheaper price. Don't be fooled by high prices....there are real bargains to be had these days as manufactures introduce new models with no 'real' advanyages over the old

the old Nikon ED60 mk 111 is def. worth a punt too...
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 06:47   #14
scampo
Steve Campsall

Isn't the Mk.III the latest ED60 scope, Tim? I was looking through one two days ago that was only a month old - the view through it, with a 30xW, was astonishingly bright, wide and clear.
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 17:03   #15
Brendan Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Did you make a decision?
Hi Leif

went for the Leica Apo 77 in the end. To my eyes all the top end scopes were cracking so therefore i went for the "cheapest" at the moment. I got the APO 77 + Zoom + 32xwa, leica case,eagle eye adaptor i had already and remote release, xtend -a -view and brackets for less than a Swaro + eyepiece.

Brendan
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 17:24   #16
Leif
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Leif

went for the Leica Apo 77 in the end. To my eyes all the top end scopes were cracking so therefore i went for the "cheapest" at the moment. I got the APO 77 + Zoom + 32xwa, leica case,eagle eye adaptor i had already and remote release, xtend -a -view and brackets for less than a Swaro + eyepiece.

Brendan
It is indeed a cracking scope, as they all are.

Last edited by Leif : Monday 8th March 2004 at 17:36.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th March 2004, 17:45   #17
scampo
Steve Campsall

Quote:
Hi Leif

Brendan
Brendan

Can I ask from where you bought the extend-a-view from as whenever I go onto Eagle's website, I just get fed up with the utter confusion of it all and leave in frustration? If their products are anything like their website then I don't know what to say. Did you buy the "Wing" bracket and cable release adapter, too, btw?
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 18:02   #18
Edward woodwood

Steve

yes I did mean the mk 111 ED 60 - is it very new....I'm not up to speed.

For the record the cheapest top end scope is surely the Nikon ED78 at the moment. Just because it's on offer doesn't mean it's not as good as the others.

I would expect a couple of the 'old' fluorite Kowas to be extreemly good buys at the moment. Remember the price of these scopes when they all came out first time round.........
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 18:53   #19
scampo
Steve Campsall

I'm sure you're right about that bargain Nikon ED78 - but that price is exceptional. And, if people choose to accept the findings of a certain magazine's recent so-called "scope test", the Kowa 77 seems to be the bargain of bargains.

Last edited by scampo : Monday 8th March 2004 at 19:22.
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 19:12   #20
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Hi Brendan

I upgraded to the APO77 last year and have not regretted it for a moment - I'm sure you'll be very happy with the scope.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th March 2004, 19:48   #21
Edward woodwood

yes Steve, Kowa 77 sure is a very good scope and as u say comparable with the best of the recent new models. Bet u can get one cheapo sec. hand!!!
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 19:53   #22
Ragna

Steve.Try warehouse express they do eagle eye bits on thier site,Ian F and others got extenda views from America about £25 all in.Its the postage from eagle eye thats a bit steep brings it up to about £40.Some of our American friends may be able to advise.
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 20:03   #23
scampo
Steve Campsall

Thanks Graham - I just get so cross when I try to use that awful website!!!

Do you find the magnifier useful - or just the fact that it acts as a shade? Doesn't it just magnify the pixels - or does it really help you see the focus?

I notice that 7dayshop has a similar product now for £24-00 - have you seen it? It looks pretty good - and I have found them a good supplier with pretty amazing prices (also their website is easy to navigate).
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 21:03   #24
Ragna

Steve.Iam so used to the magnifier i cant now take a picture with out it.I need glasses to see the screen to focus but with the extenda view i dont need the glasses.I've also noticed the shade/magnifier on 7dayshop,but not seen one.I know the extenda view is more expensive but its very good.Yes it does magnify the pixels but i soon got usedto that.
Old Monday 8th March 2004, 21:22   #25
scampo
Steve Campsall

Thanks again - I'll try to find out more aboout the 7dayshop one - it looks the piece.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: