• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof Jacket for the summer (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Looking to buy a waterproof jacket to wear in the summer whilst out walking/birding etc. Not a smock or raincoat, proper jacket.
I have a Deerhunter Montana 2G coat for the winter and it is great, really great but if I detach the fleece and then put the coat on it drowns me.
I am look at the trade off between rustle-free and waterproof, the usual dilemma.
I looked at Regattra Cross Penine (yes they really did spell it like that!) with a 15000 hydrostatic head. That seems to be pretty waterproof?
I wonder if anyone has any experience of this jacket or any of the other Regatta lot.
Some people seem to like the Jack Pyke and Ridgeline Mallard and then you see a load of reviews that suggest they are not too waterproof.
As it is a summer thing, I am trying to keep the weight down too.
Something around £70 or below?
HELP! Gareth (UK Based)

Hi,

I've had a couple of Regatta jackets and fleeces over the years (no idea what the "models" were) and I've been very impressed for the money. I've always had a problem justifying to myself buying a high end Gore-Tex jacket only to shred it in a Hawthorn bush or catch it on a barbed wire fence. The Regatta ones have all been good quality, comfortable and very reasonable value for money. I know people who've bought more upmarket brands of jacket and had trouble with them after a short time. Have a look on www.regattaoutlet.co.uk, they often have a range of jackets at heavily discounted prices. They're usually end-of-line, last year's design type of thing rather than seconds. Obviously you may not find anything to suit in either design or size, but definitely worth checking.

I've currently got a North Face outer jacket that I bought about 10 years ago, that I can't say is much better than a similar Regatta one. I've also got a Regatta wind and waterproof fleece which I swear by.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

I use a Berghaus Cornice III. It's very light so I don't get hot in the summer . They also do a long version to keep your bum dry. In the winter you can zip in a second layer .

Like mos outdoor kit if weight is important to you then you will pay more for less ! If you have a go outdoors close by have a look and try a few jackets on. I noted they have a Marmot Pre Cip in your price range which is lighter than the Regatta you mentioned .TK Maxx often has some cracking deals on outdoor gear.

Also style is a factor, are you looking for something more hunting like your other jacket or outdoor walker in appearance

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back