• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for window feeders (1 Viewer)

saddler

Ive recently bought I window feeder for my flat, i'm on the first floor and have no garden.

Does anyone have any good tips for attracting birds to window feeders.

I've seen sparrows, chaffinches, greenfinches, goldfinches, blue tits, yellowhammers and blackcaps around my flat this year so no shortage of customers but as yet no takers.

Cheers

John

Hi John
We'r in the similar position 1st floor (also it's the top floor) so I put a hook into the bottom of the fascia board and hung a feeder. A fat ball first, takers after about three weeks, then put up a feeder filled with Sun flower hearts a week or ten days and we had Blue/Great Tits (who even ignore the cat!!)
All the best
Ian S

Hi John & Ian - I'll be watching this thread with interest as I have the same situation.

Ann Chaplin kindly gave me details of a window feeder and I'll be putting in an order soon for one. Don't know if I can manage to attach anything to the fascia board but I'll have a look (no head for heights tho' LOL). Can't put anything on the window sills as they all slope.

D

Hi Folks,

Try a few chopped up peanuts (I use a hand blender) have Blue Tits and a Coal Tit who regularly sit on the window feeder eating them and I put a few black sunflower seeds in as well as sunflower hearts.

In the feeder I told Delia about is a little compartment for water which I use to put mini mealworms in for the Wren who took to it straight away which thrilled me to see one so close). Previously she (sorry guys has to be a lady) had been bullied by the Blackbird when I put them out in the usual dish as he didn't like sharing.

Ann

Well i've filled it with RSPB all seasons mix so there should be something for everyone in there.

I've also set up my webcam with motion sensing software over looking it so I'll know if anythings been on it whilst im out.

Ann, how close can you get to it? Do the birds really notice whats on the other side of the glass?

John

I had one and put it on my Landing window. it fell off, the suction pads just dry out after a while. I tried twice and within a couple of weeks it happened again so i gave up. This was from a popular brand so no excuses, i don't trust them.
Maybe someone has a tip to keep them suctioned please tell! :brains:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back