• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeika Powered Binocular (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I was looking through the "antique" stores in Bisbee, Arizona today and happened across a pair of Zeika 2 1/2 ~ 8x 35 binoculars. They are powered by 4 AA batteries and have aZeika Zoom 4 ~ 12X attachment on them. Having never seen anything like them before I had to take a look. Ended up buying them for 50 Dollars. The main reason for this post is to ask what the red button on the left hand side is (see pics). Anyone ever seen one of these and know what it is for?

Thanks, Lisa

Attachments

• 2013-01-03_18-08-40_509.jpg
    2013-01-03_18-08-40_509.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 2013-01-03_18-09-11_795.jpg
    2013-01-03_18-09-11_795.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 407
I almost bought a binocular in a Bisbee antique store myself a couple of years ago, a perfectly conventional 7x50. Except for that tidbit, I'm knocked speechless...
Ron

Quite extraordinary! A quick google search suggests they are not that rare though. I spotted a comment that in addition to the zoom buttons there is a power button and a red power indicator light. Could it be that?

Seems there is an add-on lens to increase the power to 4-12x.

David

Thanks, Typo. I decided this morning that the button was an indicator light, and went duh to myself. I'm not sure the proprietor even realized there was an extender attached. They are interesting to say the least.

Ron, could even be the same store. He had quite a few cameras and lenses in there as well.

Thanks for responding to both of you.

Are there 2 zooms, one 2.5-8x and the other 4-12x? Perhaps the 4-12x attachment is engaged by the red button?
There were a number of quite innovative Japanese optical designs that have dropped out of sight, such as the ultra 3D glasses recently highlighted in another thread.
In any case, good on you for buying this and preserving it.

From what I've gathered by playing with it, the 4-12x is simply on the binoc or off. The red button didn't seem to affect it at all. The 2.5 and 8x are engaged by the individual buttons on the right hand side. They are definitely interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back