• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

visit to Arizona next September - help please!! (1 Viewer)

I took a hummingbirding trip to that area in 2007 and the best place in Sierra Vista we saw was Beatty's for sure, followed by the Ash Canyon B+B. The best place in tucson was the arizona sonora desert museum's hummingbird aviary. I'm saving up to go again!

@ drosskennedy:
There's actually two great times of year for hummingbirds in SE Arizona. The first is the northward migration from about mid-April through mid-May, and the second is early August to about mid-September when the southern migration is at its peak. Summer is nice - the mountains in SE Arizona are not as hot as it is in Phoenix and Tucson.

I've also heard that for the time being (hopefully through summer) Paton's in Patagonia will be open for viewing. A great SE Arizona birder, Michael Marsden, and his wife will be staying at the house taking care of things. This is a definite place to visit in the spring, summer and fall as long as it is open.

Paton's is pretty easy to find.
From AZ 82 (Naugle street in Patagonia) head west on either 3rd or 4th Avenue.
There will be a T intersection at Pennsylvania Avenu, turn left and go until you cross the concrete ford (if flooded don't enter!), Paton's is the first house on the left. I normally go up a little make a u-turn and park along the fence in front of the yard.
If you were to stay on this road you would end up at the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek
Preserve, run by the Nature Conservancy.

Paton's is pretty easy to find.
From AZ 82 (Naugle street in Patagonia) head west on either 3rd or 4th Avenue.
There will be a T intersection at Pennsylvania Avenu, turn left and go until you cross the concrete ford (if flooded don't enter!), Paton's is the first house on the left. I normally go up a little make a u-turn and park along the fence in front of the yard.
If you were to stay on this road you would end up at the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek
Preserve, run by the Nature Conservancy.

The reserve is definitely also worth a visit.

Do get your hands on one of the site-finding guides; I used the ABA guide (by Taylor) and found it very useful.

Niels

Hi Lisa

sorry for delay in replying - thanks for the info on the Paton place.
I am booked into Tucson in Sept - do you think the Paton place will still be open and more important - will there still be any hummers around in mid Sept!!

Lisa, Thanks for the Info. Would you mind giving the Names of the Towns or Areas ?
Patagonia is Southeast of Tucson. Two main ways to get there are to take I19 south out of Tucson to Nogales and then take AZ 82 East to Patagonia. Or take I10 east out of Tucson, take the AZ 83 south exit, to AZ 82 in Sonoita, and head west on AZ 82.

I am booked into Tucson in Sept - do you think the Paton place will still be open and more important - will there still be any hummers around in mid Sept!!

I have heard and read on the AZ/NM bird list that Paton's will be open through the summer, don't know if it will still be open in September. If I hear of it closing I will post here. There will still be hummers in mid-September. Not as many as in mid-August or early September, but still plenty.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back