• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Here are the totals so far; once ABA publishes their new species list I'll update these again, and they'll be all set for the next assault, which, for all we know, is already underway!
I'll have a couple other docs to share, but I'm waiting to get some numbers confirmed before giving the group some final treats.

Joe

Attachments

• BigYears2016.xlsx
    71 KB · Views: 153
  • BigYears2016ByCode.xlsx
    555.6 KB · Views: 130
It has indeed been highly entertaining. A serious Big Year is something I'd love to do one day, maybe in China, but will probably never get the opportunity, so I take my hat off to those who have gone out and done it. I have to say that Olav's blog has easily been my favourite Big Year account, warts and all, and principally because it was not just about the birding, but what it was really like to do a Big Year. I enjoyed the politically incorrect tour of America the positive realities of family life and through it all a magnificent obsession with and enjoyment of the birds, the birders, the birding and the places he went that I suspect connect so many of us.

Cheers
Mike
Great post, my thoughts encapsulated :t:

As promised, some parting gifts! These are the handouts I'll be giving out on Monday night at my Big Year program. The numbers are, at the very least, quite close: Olaf's numbers are on his site and the other three confirmed/corrected what I had for them. Of course, things will change based on the new ABA provisional species, state committees and ABA's new list, to be released mid-year. If you have corrections or additions please feel free to let me know at [email protected]

The Big Year Books list does not contain world Big Years or, in general, state big years. Richard Pope's book about his Ontario Big Year is included because, well, I like it.

Joe

Attachments

• US Big Years.docx
    118.1 KB · Views: 159
  • ABA Big Years.docx
    114.9 KB · Views: 451
  • Big Year Books.docx
    90.8 KB · Views: 167
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back