• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

510 IS settings (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

Good Evening. On the E510 there are two IS settings "IS1" & "IS2", just uinterested to know which one of the two settings people find the best for birding.

Len

Depends. IS1 used most of the time.
IS2 is designed for tracking moving objects so useful for birds in flight-something I'm useless at.

If your using a tripod turn IS off.

Others with greater experience may know better.

I would like to know if anybody alters the focal length settings for IS, & if it helps, when using longer lenses because I always forget.

Mick.

Last edited:
Hi Len. I agree with Mick. I leave IS1 switched on most of the time. IS2 provides vertical stabilization and is used for panning shots. The E-520 has three stabilization modes and includes IS3 which provides horizontal stabilzation only. I think this is primarily for panning when the camera is turned for portrait shots.

I find IS1 works pretty well although I am stretching its capabilities a bit as I use an ED 70-300 lens with a 1.4x converter for bird photography. My shots are not always as quite sharp as I would like but I always take them handheld. I am reluctant to carry a tripod with me all the time.

Ron

re turning it off when on a tripod,,

I have tried it both ways and can see no difference,, I know Oly says to turn it off in my E3 manual,, when I am using either the TV 85 scope or my Questar I find that by leaving it on it does assist a small amount as when your out in that 1600mm area and above even on a good tripod there can still be minimal movement for the IS to assit with,,

Derry

even on a good tripod there can still be minimal movement for the IS to assit with,,
I agree that a tripod can still have movement and that under such conditions you should turn the IS on. I was trying to take pictures with a tripod on a windy day and when I looked thru the viewfinder, for sure the camera was moving!

However, when it is a calm day, I do turn the IS off with a tripod. Although most (all?) poor results that I have gotten when I forgot to turn it off are probably MY fault (it is tough to get good pics at high magnification regardless of conditions), I keep thinking it might be because I had the IS on. So, to ease my addled mind, I try to remember to turn it off. Then I can blame myself without any question!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back