• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex says no metal O-rings on strap attachments (1 Viewer)

curt.w

Why? I got a new to me pair of Razor HD 8x42s today. Booklet that comes with them specifically states to not use metal O-rings on the strap attachments. I have done this with my old binoculars. I use metal O-rings, pass them through the strap attachment slot, then use a homemade paracord harness. I like the way this keeps the binoculars close to the body with little or no bounce or swing.

The only reason I can think of to not use them is scratching the body of the binocular or maybe somehow a tricky twist could break the strap attachment?

Any help is appreciated.

curt:

Welcome to the Birdforum.
The reason that they don't want steel rings on the strap tabs, is that the tabs are either magnesium
or aluminum, and sometimes those tabs can be broken off, as they are not as strong.
This is a common recommendation with other makers such as Swarovski, so
don't be concerned.

Just use a plastic zip tie or contact Vortex for advice.

They are just trying to eliminate a warranty issue for a broken strap lug.

Jerry

Thanks, appreciate the info, makes sense. I'm going with zip ties, I have also used them before as well.

I like the non-elastic paracord harness with short, tight connection to the binocular. Less movement when walking and less movement when using the binoculars. I sort of hold the binocular against the tension of the cord.

The metal "o-rings" will indeed cut through a strap lug, given enough time. We just use strap connectors such as the ones listed above. Cabela's also sells them, and you can also find them at the Rick Young Harness site.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back