• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gnatcatcher (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

I believe this is a Gnatcatcher but which one? The bird is smaller than a sparrow.

The photograph was taken in Big Bend National Park in southwestern Texas near the Rio Grande River in early May.

Attachments

• CRW_6006 Gnatcatcher.jpg
    CRW_6006 Gnatcatcher.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 130
Yes its a Gnatcatcher - and that is where I should stop - it being years since I have seen any. Take this with a substantial pinch of salt!

The bill looks tiny - and the tertial patch looks dull ish - so I'd veer towards Black-tailed.

I was just at Big Bend in March and they had lots of Black tailed Gnatchatchers. The easy key is to look at the underside of the tail. If it had spots, then a Black tailed. If it had a stripe then Blue Gray.

Would the Blue Grays be in south Texas at the end of May? We had lots of them in late March and early April here in Oklahoma.

Gnatcatcher ID

You know how birds are, they just do not take posing instructions. None of my photos show the underside of the tail. I already was leaning toward the Black-tailed as none of my photos of this bird showed any blue. Would anyone want to venture an opinion on male vs female?

buckskin hawk said:
I was just at Big Bend in March and they had lots of Black tailed Gnatchatchers. The easy key is to look at the underside of the tail. If it had spots, then a Black tailed. If it had a stripe then Blue Gray.

Would the Blue Grays be in south Texas at the end of May? We had lots of them in late March and early April here in Oklahoma.

Looks like a Black-tailed to me, Blue Grays have a much more distinct white eye-ring and in May should look really Blue. As previously stated the undertail is the diagnostic feature to look for.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back