• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid - exit pupils on your sample perfectly round? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I have the 8x42 Noctivid and my sample has exit pupils that are not perfectly round. They are not bright 360 degrees, because a couple of "black parts" are visible at the edge of the circles. Especially in the left exit pupil.

Can you see this too in your Noctivids or are the exit pupils perfectly round?

I have the 8x42 Noctivid and my sample has exit pupils that are not perfectly round. They are not bright 360 degrees, because a couple of "black parts" are visible at the edge of the circles. Especially in the left exit pupil.

Are you SURE?

Mine are as round as can be....see picture below.

Attachments

• 76F130BC-B056-4FC4-8D5A-0819D7B447FE1.jpeg
    76F130BC-B056-4FC4-8D5A-0819D7B447FE1.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 176
Kingfisher, hello from a Swedish speaking part of Finland!

I have a 10x42 NV and as far as I can tell the exit pupils are perfectly round, although as Lee points out, it's very easy to get a different impression if you get even slightly off axis. I know your problem is different however.

Can you possibly post a picture like the ones shown above?

Kingfisher, hello from a Swedish speaking part of Finland!

I have a 10x42 NV and as far as I can tell the exit pupils are perfectly round, although as Lee points out, it's very easy to get a different impression if you get even slightly off axis. I know your problem is different however.

Can you possibly post a picture like the ones shown above?

I have tried to take a picture of the exit pupils, but it is hard to know how to take it to get it right (with the Noctivids). Taking a picture of the Nikon EDG is very easy - one shot = nicely round exit pupil in the image...

?....

In my 8x42 Noctivid, acquired in November 2016, they are NOT perfectly round.

The left exit pupil shows a clearly visible „dent“ at 10 o‘clock, the right one a much smaller one at 2 o‘clock.
This was one of my suprises with the then newly purchased Noctivid, and I reported it in a German optics forum.

This being said, I find the Noctivid a fabulous binocular and like it very much.

Canip

I’ve noticed that due to the NV’s extremely long eye relief it can be easy to view the exit pupil off axis.

The left exit pupil shows a clearly visible „dent“ at 10 o‘clock, the right one a much smaller one at 2 o‘clock.
This was one of my suprises with the then newly purchased Noctivid, and I reported it in a German optics forum.

Could you post a link to that report, especially if you took photos?

By the way, Tobias reviews the 8x32 UVHD+ here:
http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/leica/ultravid8x32hdplus/ultravid8x32hdplus.html
Apparently the 32mm UVs suffer from a truncated exit pupil, slightly flattened around 5 o'clock. My 10x32 has it too, though I'd never have noticed it myself, and don't find that it impacts performance. I think this is a sign of the pressure to keep binoculars compact.

Of course if some NVs show this while most don't, the inconsistency might seem a bit troubling. What would Leica service say about it?

Hello,:hi:

my first post and immediately bad news, I also had a Noctivid 10x42 with completely out-of-round exit pupils and that was more than clear!
Both sides were affected, the series distribution at the Noctivids is relatively high, two more 8x42 glasses had difficulties with the middle drives.
Three Noctivids, all with flaws ...

Andreas

P.S. Sorry for my bad english...:-C

You are too kind, Lee - please spare my blushes ...

Here is an iphone pic of what I meant with "dent at 10 o'clock" (sorry, awful pic quality).

Canip

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 177
You are too kind, Lee - please spare my blushes ...

Here is an iphone pic of what I meant with "dent at 10 o'clock" (sorry, awful pic quality).

Canip

Not at all Canip, and your blush may be caused by oxygen deprivation if you live up an Alp. ;)

The dent or 'tangential intruding chord' or TIC is clearly visible, but does this disappear with careful eye positioning?

Lee

Here are some shots of my 10x42 Noctivid. In both tubes it's possible to see 'dents' or perfectly round pupils, depending on very subtle changes of position.

Attachments

• IMG_5256.jpg
    IMG_5256.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5259.jpg
    IMG_5259.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 133
In both tubes it's possible to see 'dents' or perfectly round pupils, depending on very subtle changes of position.

Hi Mike,

no chance on "my" model, no matter which eye position I have chosen the "bumps" were always clearly visible!
I even had the glass on the tripod to exclude irregularities.
My opinion, here too there is series dispersion.

Andreas

Last edited:
Noctivid 10X42 exit pupils in pictures below. It took me about 1 minute to take the pictures...much longer to crop(two minutes?).

Conclusion: The two Noctivids I have....well a picture is worth a 1000 words. Sorry for the dust!

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 206
Hi Mike,

no chance on "my" model, no matter which eye position I have chosen the "bumps" were always clearly visible!
I even had the glass on the tripod to exclude irregularities.
My opinion, here too there is series dispersion.

Andreas

I think the English phrase "sample variation" is probably what you're looking for when you use the phrase "series dispersion". I agree that this is something that is subject to sample variation.

The eyepieces are mounted in eccentric rings for purposes of collimation. If only a little eccentricity is needed to collimate a particular unit then the prism edges will remain invisible when the eye (or camera lens) is centered on the exit pupil. If an eyepiece or both eyepieces need to have a large amount of eccentricity applied that may introduce enough misalignment between the eyepiece optical axis and the optical axes of the fixed prism and objective to cause one or more prism edges to come into view just as if the pupil of the eye had been decentered.

The result could be harmless or there might be enough coma to affect image sharpness. I would certainly prefer to have a unit without any sort of misalignment, but that's rare since some amount of decentering of at least one eyepiece is probably needed for virtually every unit.

This is where a high magnification star-test and resolution measurement are useful. The amount of coma will be observable in the star-test and the degradation of the resolution can be measured. In a sample with obvious prism edge intrusion into the exit pupil as seen by a centered eye I would want to thoroughly convince myself that no damage to the image quality is occurring.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back