• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hard to pass for the price, more available (1 Viewer)

I saw that some months ago and got the 8.5x32. I love the Kowa YF, so I assumed they would be the same but with improved armour. When I got them, I compared the 8x30 Kowa YF versus Kingbird 8.5x32, and while I definitely preferred the armour/tactile part of the Kindbird (especially the focus wheel, which is one of the weak points of the Kowa IMO), I found the image quality noticeably behind the Kowa: it was darker, had "vignetting edges" and wasn't as nice to look at, less bright and less enjoyable. Anyway, for 40$ I think it is still a terrific offer and I would love it if I didn't have the Kowa :)

Looks nearly identical to my Oberwerk 6.5x32, which IMHO is a very good binocular for its price. Very tempting offer, though I already have two inexpensive binos in that size range (Leupold 6x30).

I bit on this one, back when EO was closing things out. It is not real good, and has nothing
in common with the Leupold Yosemite or Kowa porros in this size.

So, don't expect too much, it still is a good one for beginners or children.

Jerry

Jerry I bought the 6.5x32 Strike Eagle off Eagle Optics when they were closing, price was good, binocular is ok , but like you said not a 6x Leupold Yosemite. I sold my 6x Yosemite to a fellow at work after I had left him use it, I regret that decision for quite some time.

Looks nearly identical to my Oberwerk 6.5x32, which IMHO is a very good binocular for its price. Very tempting offer, though I already have two inexpensive binos in that size range (Leupold 6x30).

I ordered a pair of the obie 6.5x32 for a young child. I was very disappointed with the optical quality. The view is very distorted to my eye. My other child's 8x30 Leupold Yosemite have far superior optics. The build quality on the obies was probably better, but the optics were so bad that it doesn't matter.

I bought an early 8x30 several years ago from Oberwerk. I had received about 5 other models that were fine. I reported that this last one was defective, and Kevin Bussarow replaced it. It was also a first run sample of a binoculars new version. Maybe you could do the same.
Helpfully,
Rob Armistead.

I bought an early 8x30 several years ago from Oberwerk. I had received about 5 other models that were fine. I reported that this last one was defective, and Kevin Bussarow replaced it. It was also a first run sample of a binoculars new version. Maybe you could do the same.
Helpfully,
Rob Armistead.

To be fair to the company, I should have finished the story! Obie has fantastic customer service. They sent me a replacement. Unfortunately, the optics were only marginally better--still quite poor.

Based on the customer service and the product reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to order from Oberwerk in the future for a different model. I just think the 6.5x32 is not a great offering or perhaps I was just unlucky twice in a row.

A first I was wondering if my expectations were too high. But, comparing side-by-side the Leupold Yosemite is a huge step up optically. Too bad the build quality of the Leupold's eyecups, diopter adjust, focus wheel, etc isn't a little better, but for the price it gets a pass.

I had the EO Kingbird 6.5X32 and the Atlas 6.5X32 at the same time. I bought them to give to some kids. Best recollection is the Atlas didn't have enough ER for me and the Kingbird DID. Not 20mm but prob 15-17mm. That was a few years ago and of course I paid retail price! I actually gave the Kingbird to a little boy that wears glasses and they worked for him. I should have written down exactly my ER impression but didn't. I do have the weight!

Atlas- 25oz
Kingbird- 19.5oz
Leupold Yosemite- 16.2oz

ER seems closer to 20mm to me. My usual binoculars have 16mm and work perfectly for my glasses with the eyecups all the way down. With the 6.5 Kingbird I need to extend the eyecups to the mid position, seemingly a 4-5mm change, to prevent blackouts.

Just received mine today. I'd say that 20mm ER is about right, considering there is roughly 3mm lost between the eye lens surface and the eyecup rim. So, the effective ER is about 17mm, which works fine with my glasses. The only other Porro that I'm able to use with glasses is the 7x26 Bushnell reverse Porro.

I'm impressed with the optics, accessories, and handiness of the Kingbird, but it reminds me of now-defunct Eagle Optics. I really liked those guys, and still can't believe they're gone. |=(|

Ed

ED,

Glad you got a good sample, I sent two back one, glass in right tube major distortion, the second way out of collimation. they were a gift, so I am now looking elsewhere. Yes, Eagle Optics was a great outfit, they are missed.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back