• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Black-backed or Yellow-legged Gull? (1 Viewer)

rubatroid

United Kingdom
I'm really struggling to identify which gull this is in the attached photo. It looks much lighter and whiter-headed than the other juvenile LBBGs in the area, but I'm not convinced it's Yellow-legged. Can anyone confirm? And say what diagnostic features help you to nail the ID?

Photo taken next to Southwark Bridge in London today

Attachments

• IMG_0135a.jpg
    IMG_0135a.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 60
there's hardly such thing as 'diagnostic' in large gulls due to their immense variation and 1cy YLG versus LBBG often cause some problem especially on ground. this bird to me looks like a LBBG with appreciable amount of replaced scapulars but otherwise very fresh plumage -which is a pointer at this time of year to separate them: YLG with more advanced and especially more worn plumage. new scaps are very recently replaced, in most YLG these already look worn by september and in many ind. some coverts also replaced already. pale head is within variation. in flight you should look for tail pattern which at this age class is the most reliable character (usually narrow black band tapering towards corners in YLG and with almost white/little marks at tail bases and uppertail coverts while ion LBBG tail band is broad with a lot of dark marks towards bases of tail feathers.

there's hardly such thing as 'diagnostic' in large gulls due to their immense variation and 1cy YLG versus LBBG often cause some problem especially on ground. this bird to me looks like a LBBG with appreciable amount of replaced scapulars but otherwise very fresh plumage -which is a pointer at this time of year to separate them: YLG with more advanced and especially more worn plumage. new scaps are very recently replaced, in most YLG these already look worn by september and in many ind. some coverts also replaced already. pale head is within variation. in flight you should look for tail pattern which at this age class is the most reliable character (usually narrow black band tapering towards corners in YLG and with almost white/little marks at tail bases and uppertail coverts while ion LBBG tail band is broad with a lot of dark marks towards bases of tail feathers.
That's very helpful, thanks Lou

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back