• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

İstanbul/ Ruff ? (1 Viewer)

Yes Indeed a reeve or femail adult ruff, I like the reflection on the water and the fresh grass along with the ruff A nice spring picture I wonder if she had any broods.

I'd suggest it's a male with the remnants of a white "ruff" from its summer breeding and display plumage, boldly marked and rich warm chestnut upperparts. Female would be paler and slightly grabber for camouflage purposes when laying and incubating.
Great image.

I'd suggest it's a male with the remnants of a white "ruff" from its summer breeding and display plumage, boldly marked and rich warm chestnut upperparts. Female would be paler and slightly grabber for camouflage purposes when laying and incubating.
Great image.

But the photo was taken on April 19th.

Hadn't read that in the OP, my apologies. Still think it's a male ruff though, never seen a female that bright or with the neck markings as the photo shows.

I think it's probably a male, here's a montage of our Russian birds just a few weeks later on 9th May when they're not quite in full 'sum plum'.

Attachments

• 20150509091649895.jpg
    20150509091649895.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back