• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor in Orkneys (1 Viewer)

nc_killie

I took this 2 weeks ago in the Orkneys (Marwick Bay on West Mainland). At first I thought it was a juv peregrine (there were two in the area, seen separately) however this did not look right. I have my thoughts but would welcome others input. Thanks in advance

AQ4Y3178_cr by nc_killie, on Flickr

Looks to be quite a powerful falcon, first impressions a grey type gyr. There were reports of one ranging across the various islands a few weeks ago. Reported today from the Shetland Isles.
Obviously there are many cases of escaped falconers birds, including hybrids as they are a popular type amongst bird of prey enthusiasts so its very difficult to determine a truly wild bird. I'm assuming you didn't see any rings or jesse's on this bird.
Did the peregrines interact with this bird at all?

Last edited:
I have the impression that a Gyr would have tail considerably beyond the folded wings, which this one does not.

Niels

Looks to be quite a powerful falcon, first impressions a grey type gyr. There were reports of one ranging across the various islands a few weeks ago. Reported today from the Shetland Isles.
Obviously there are many cases of escaped falconers birds, including hybrids as they are a popular type amongst bird of prey enthusiasts so its very difficult to determine a truly wild bird. I'm assuming you didn't see any rings or jesse's on this bird.
Did the peregrines interact with this bird at all?

There were no rings or jesses visible. I did not see any interaction with the peregrines (I posted another crappy picture of the peregrine on my flickr site - definitely a different bird)
Thanks for the responses

I don't think they're the same birds Simon. Why have one photo pin sharp in flight against a rocky shoreline and well lit, and then post a blurry image of a bird sat on a post in a field (poor light). Neither image is labelled with where photos were taken. Seems a bit odd to me.

I don't think they're the same birds Simon. Why have one photo pin sharp in flight against a rocky shoreline and well lit, and then post a blurry image of a bird sat on a post in a field (poor light). Neither image is labelled with where photos were taken. Seems a bit odd to me.

A bit odd due to lack of info maybe, but a great picture - especially if it is a Gyr and it was in Orkney ;)

Certainly the first shot, head pattern looks like a Peregrine to me?

I thought it might be a Peregrine too - though more "rustic" than our diddy ones down here ;)

edit: on re-reading the OP's posts, I think that they mean the bird in flight is the pertinent shot and the other perched is the "crappy Peregrine shot" referred to...?

Last edited:
Apologies for any confusion and the quality of the photos, I realize that they are not great!! I belive that they are different birds, although taken at teh same location, a few days apart
The bird on the post is the bird I was asking about. It was certainly a 'strong flier' based on obeservations of it flying into a strong wind.
The bird in flight was taken (into the sun) a few days later when it was with another bird - both of which I thought were jevenile peregrines but I belive to be different birds than the bird on the post. there was a report of a saker falcon (presumed escape) from nearby but I have no experience or this I thought I would ask here. Both photos were taken at Marwick bay on West mainland in Orkney. Nothing sinister, just trying to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks

Thanks nc and no problem. Then - I think the bird perched is a Peregrine (as hooted above) and the one in flight is the bird reported as a presumed escaped Saker - or a Gyr, or in the realms of falcon hybrids. Its not so nice to think that juv. birds with no jessies can escape because juv. birds without jessies just should be wild! I'll leave it to others better prepared to identify the one in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back