• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry, June - any birds (1 Viewer)

pandachris

We're thinking of doing the Portsmouth-Bilbao trip in either June or August for both birds and whales. We've done it before in August and did pretty well. Any forum members done it in June? Much chance of seeing anything?

I came back from Le Mans via the Bibao Ferry last Thursday (18th June). It was completely bereft of birds in Biscay (one Juv Gannet), the Dolphins (Common and Striped) were abundant, we saw 2 Cuviers and 4 Sowerby's Whales also about 50 Pilot Whales.
No large Whales were seen (Fin or Sperm) but they had been seen on the southbound trip.
For birds late August into September is definitely best.
One of the Biscay researchers was on the vessel with a spotter so they were calling out sightings. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the Cornish Pasties are great!

I have just done a whale and dolphin survey training course last weekend (25th-28th) run by C.O.W and ORCA on the Pride of Bilbao and although the emphasis was on cetaceans, we did look for birds, which were pretty scarce.Many Gannets,4 Corey's Shearwaters, 1 Manx Shearwater,1 Curlew and a racing pigeon with 1 Painted Lady butterfly halfway across the Bay of Biscay.
We recorded 16 Bottlenosed Dolphins,8 Long-finned Pilot Whale,5 Risso's Dolphin,1 Sowerby's and 6 Couvior's Beaked Whale and a total of 544 Common Dolphin and 2 Striped dolphin.
2 Sperm whale "blows" were reported,but we did not connect with them.
Considering this is the quiet period at the start of the cetacean spotting season, not a bad start.

David

We're booked for next Thursday's sailing so hoping the weather will be as good as out last crossings. I'll record the details on here when we get back.

There have been several sightings of Killer Whale on the last few trips (in addition to what's already been quoted) but hardly any birds. Good luck.

Cheers. I suppose I should hope for an Orca because it's the only cetacean species that I've seen that my g/f hasn't ... on the other hand ;)

I'm hoping for Little Shearwater as the most likely "new bird" for us. We didn't do too badly last time with Shearwaters and Skuas but I missed the handful of Petrels that were sighted by others - and the Little Bustard!

Anyone "thinking" of doing this i would hurry up as i'm fairly certain the vessel is being scrapped in 12-18 months. I beleive it's due one more dry docking in January and that's it's lot.....

THe Little Bustard didn't quite fly past the ferry whilst it was in the Bay of Biscay, I'm afraid. The departure was delayed a bit by a muppet who left his unattended bag on one of the parking decks and most of the birders were up on the top deck looking for eagles & vultures over the hills when one lucky chap picked up a bustard in flight.

Do you think the route will be discontinued if the ferry goes? In my limited experience it seems pretty popular. We've got to take the "kids" (combined height 12' 3" and there's only about two of them) on holiday next summer and I was thinking of northern Spain by this route.

Anyone "thinking" of doing this i would hurry up as i'm fairly certain the vessel is being scrapped in 12-18 months. I beleive it's due one more dry docking in January and that's it's lot.....

Being scrapped?! Is that rumour going round again, it's a pretty profitable route, so I would be surprised P&O getting rid of the Pride of Bilbao :eek!:

THe Little Bustard didn't quite fly past the ferry whilst it was in the Bay of Biscay, I'm afraid. The departure was delayed a bit by a muppet who left his unattended bag on one of the parking decks and most of the birders were up on the top deck looking for eagles & vultures over the hills when one lucky chap picked up a bustard in flight.

This sounds like a very strange sighting, as the habitat in the surrounding hills above Santurzi is totally wrong for Little Bustard. Maybe a birder getting a bit too excitable or possible sun stroke?!?:t:
Cheers,
Dave.

We thought that too, Dave but the guy seemed a pretty good birder and he picked out several good raprtors over the hills at long range. Don't think he was stringing us.

Prices vary,of course and if you live down south or know someone who does and gets a local paper I think that there are sometimes hefty discounts but I think we're paying about £80 each and if you pay for food vouchers in advance you can save 10% making them about £70. These cover 3 breakfasts and 3 evening meals, give or take. Drinks are extra and if youwant to eat in the Langham's Brasserrie you willhave to make up the difference yourself.

Don't know if there's a single cabin supplement.

We set ourselves a £450 budget for two, not including petrol and car parking and after paying for our tickets and vouchers we've got £149 left to spend in the bar and to splash out in Langham's one night.

We saw over 100 whales on the last trip and got a "lifer" in Great Shearwater so we reckon it's pretty good. If you're interested there's a shortish trip report accessible via my signature - no photos I'm afraid but Julie's taking the long lens this time.

Last edited:
Quick report

Mixed results.

The birding was terrible. We got a few Cory's on the Saturday p.m. and not much else. I heard of one Sooty Shearwater and 2 European Storm Petrels being seen by others. A passerine arrived on the boat mid-afternoon on Friday and all 4 of us thought we saw yellow and streaky and wondered if it might be a Serin, but a professional bird guide, BF member and Spanish resident saw something completely different and thought phylloscopus-type. He's a lot more familiar with Serin than us, so we're not claiming anything. Little blighter went right down to the (inaccessible) front bit of the boat and disappeared.

Cetaceans were brilliant on the Friday, with probably well over 500 dolphins of several species (Common, Bottle-nosed, Risso's and Pilot Whales, and probably a few Striped as well) and a few Fin Whales and one Cuvier's Beaked Whale, with great viewing conditions. One large (150-200) pod of Common Dolphins came right along side the boat and stayed around, swirling and generally enthralling everyone. Risso's is technically a new species for Julie and I, so we were particularly pleased with them.

Saturday was much quieter, although we did see 4 Cuvier's Beaked Whales, one unidentified whale breaching several times (we thought it looked big, but the Wildlife Officer thought either Cuvier's or Northern Bottle-nosed Whale) and a few sightings of dolphins and tuna. Nothing at all seen from about 16:20 until 19:00, when we gave up - and I really mean nothing, despite clear visibilty right to the horizon. No birds, no cetaceans, no fish. Nothing. It was also very windy and pretty arduous.

It was incredibly quiet yesterday in the Western approaches with only small numbers of Gannets and single Kittiwakes and LBBs to keep us awake. Again viewing conditions were excellent to good.

We underspent our budget by about £50 for the two of us and despite some long and boring hours, the highlights made it worthwhile and I suspect that we'll do it again some time.

This sounds like a very strange sighting, as the habitat in the surrounding hills above Santurzi is totally wrong for Little Bustard. Maybe a birder getting a bit too excitable or possible sun stroke?!?:t:
Cheers,
Dave.

Agree, no bustards on Santurtzi or anywhere on the Basque country coasts, closest populations are in far interior Navarra, Álava, Logroño or Burgos, a few 100's kms from the coast.

Being scrapped?! Is that rumour going round again, it's a pretty profitable route, so I would be surprised P&O getting rid of the Pride of Bilbao :eek!:

It's not a rumour - It's fact. I happen to work in Falmouth Docks where the ferry has had it's last 10 re-fits. The vessel quite frankly is knackered. 2nd to last re-fit they spent £1.6m, last re-fit they spent £600,000. Dont forget P&O are now owned by Dubai holdings so it's nothing to do with P&O whether the vessel is scrapped or not.

The crew dont know what is happening as regards to their jobs but all are certain that there will only be one more re-fit....

Agree, no bustards on Santurtzi or anywhere on the Basque country coasts, closest populations are in far interior Navarra, Álava, Logroño or Burgos, a few 100's kms from the coast.

I've no argument with that. I've seen Little Bustards, I didn't see this one and it's validity or not are not really mine to comment on. I was passing on somebody else's story. I don't know the birder personally, don't know if he's a BF member and don't owe him a pint. All I can tell you is that he was male, maybe in his forties, shorter than me and possibly from Yorkshire.

However as far as I'm aware, there's no known population of Pacific Golden Plovers in Sussex. I'm unclear about the relevence of "closest populations" in a migratory species, even if the Spanish population is sedentary. I agree that Santurtzi is an unusual place to see a Little Bustard, but would suggest that birds do turn up in unusual places from time to time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back