• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Hoping to go to Pegsdon Hills/Hoo Bit this week for the Fly Orchids. I'm based in Cambridge but limited to public transport & my bike so think they might be the easiest to get to for me! I've never been before - if anybody has any advice on where to find them/if they're looking good at the moment it would be greatly appreciated.

Fly and Birdsnest in flower at Bedford Purlieus today both in low numbers doesn't look like being a good year for either
Roger

Hoping to go to Pegsdon Hills/Hoo Bit this week for the Fly Orchids. I'm based in Cambridge but limited to public transport & my bike so think they might be the easiest to get to for me! I've never been before - if anybody has any advice on where to find them/if they're looking good at the moment it would be greatly appreciated.

Hoo Bit is the place to go. Just take the main (only!) path; look round when you're about half-way down (it's only a small site), there are plants close to the path. Be careful if you walk off-path! They were in very good shape today; burnt-tips just up the Ickenfield way should also still be good.

Other Herts/Beds sitrep: early marsh looking good, twayblades popping up everywhere, first common spots *just* coming out, some white helleborine in flower but most in bud

Attachments

• D7K_0409.JPG
    D7K_0409.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ND7_0566.JPG
    ND7_0566.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 115
  • ND7_0607.JPG
    ND7_0607.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 101
Everything seems a bit early in Gloucestershire this year, except Bird's Nests which are only just appearing.

I've seen Greater and Lesser Butterfly, Fly(going over), Frog, White Helleborine, Sword Leved Helleborine(going over) and the first Common Spotteds in the last couple of days.

Everything seems a bit early in Gloucestershire this year, except Bird's Nests which are only just appearing.

I've seen Greater and Lesser Butterfly, Fly(going over), Frog, White Helleborine, Sword Leved Helleborine(going over) and the first Common Spotteds in the last couple of days.

Agreed. Lots of Fly already on the way out yet quite a few Green-winged still in good nick and even the odd Early Purple still looking fine? Odd!

Mike

update from Hampshire/Dorset border

Group of 10 or so BTOs still going strong on the NNR on the Hampshire/Dorset border, with more still to come (some baby ones still coming up). Pics later if I get time.

Monkeys and Lady in full bloom with a couple of EPO left at Park Gate Down, no Musks as yet. First Lizard flowers opened at Sandwich, 100s of spikes. Wait at least 2 weeks before going. Story at barbus59.blogspot.co.uk
Dave

Lancs/Cumbria

Just had a quick visit to the Lancs/Cumbria borders.

On Tuesday afternoon/evening the Lady-slippers were looking just about perfect.

On Wednesday morning we joined the guided Coralroot walk at Sandscale; really good, particularly given there are very few this year. We were shown half a dozen about 40 minutes walk from the car park.

Rich M

have to drop my son at gatwick next week can anyone give any good sites close to there -Box Hill for sure ,are BNO out there yet do you know? but any others? Will be travelling up from devon along A303 /M3

over 90 bee orchids now at site in exeter looking great and more to come
Can anyone help me with any sites near Gatwick en route from Devon along A303 as I have to drop my son at airport next week . Will do Box Hill, are the BNOs out there does anyone know? but any info on other good sites nearby by PM or here would be good david

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 96
Can anyone help me with Hebridean Marsh Orchid?
I've searched the Lingay/Clachan area but without success, and with only one day left on N. Uist I'm running out of time.
Any help very gratefully received. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Small White Orchids in Yorkshire

Hi all,
visited the well known site in the Yorkshire Dales yesterday, and found 2 plants inside the cages. I suspect it will be another week before the flowers are fully open.

Attachments

• Small WhiteOrchid.JPG
    Small WhiteOrchid.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 101
broad-leaved helleborine. Seems very early for this to be coming into flower. Everything else here seems to be very late.

Attachments

• blh3.jpg
    blh3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 77
Would ayone able to PM details of Somerset Bee x Fly Orchids & Noar Hill Fly Orchid var. ochroleuca as I would like to see both tomorrow. If there's anything else close by please also let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Simon

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back