• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Chappett's Copse update: Most SLH going over, but still some coming up fresh. Saw the sword-leaved x white (taller; distinctly broader-leaves) mentioned on twitter. Fly orchids. BNO out in force in the spot where they can be found.

Noar Hill: Didn't see the Noar Hill Fly Orchid var. ochroleuca (had to leave), but saw photo from other visitors - is still there & going strong. Sorry for not more details. First Musk orchids are up tho.

Last edited:
This probably isn't news for those of you following orchids for longer that me, but in case: I stopped by at the (past?) Hampshire site for Red Helleborine. Met HCC ranger. Told it hasn't come up for a few years now. Saw what I believe to be the site, but no stem or basal growth I could detect. Told they cleared some beech a few years back to let in more light, but that RH unfortunately hasn't been seen since.

A303

have to drop my son at gatwick next week can anyone give any good sites close to there. Will be travelling up from devon along A303 /M3

My experience is that you'll spend all day in the A303 car park |:(| but you'll be driving right by Parsonage Down (bit late for Burnt?) and Mapledurwell Fen (Hants & IoW WT). Sheepleas (Surrey WT) should be good for Birds-nest.
ian

This probably isn't news for those of you following orchids for longer that me, but in case: I stopped by at the (past?) Hampshire site for Red Helleborine. Met HCC ranger. Told it hasn't come up for a few years now. Saw what I believe to be the site, but no stem or basal growth I could detect. Told they cleared some beech a few years back to let in more light, but that RH unfortunately hasn't been seen since.

I think the last time a flower (or visible vegetation) was recorded was 2007...it was still pretty dark last time i checked there (two years ago).

Sure is. If anyone could please PM me on-site grid ref etc for whereabouts SWO is at Little Asby I'd be very grateful, thanks.

I'll be passing by that way shortly so would be fine to drop in for a gander.

Jon

The cages are pretty easy to spot. It's only a very small strip of land along the road from memory....although that was 8 years ago now :O

Where's the best place to look for orchids at Aston Rowant. I stopped off there two years ago in mid June just for a stop for a packed lunch, but saw few orchids. We were at the north end of the slope with the view down to the M40. Will be repeating the same trip in 10 days. Isn't there a Frog x Common Spotted hybrid there?

Steve

Where's the best place to look for orchids at Aston Rowant. I stopped off there two years ago in mid June just for a stop for a packed lunch, but saw few orchids. We were at the north end of the slope with the view down to the M40. Will be repeating the same trip in 10 days. Isn't there a Frog x Common Spotted hybrid there?

Steve

Many thanks for the info Ian

Sussex

Morning walk at Wolstonbury Hill West Sussex Greater Butterfly only just opening so a couple of weeks later than usual. Numbers also much reduced on most years - probably up to fifty seen, mainly in bud flowering in the next two weeks rather than hundreds in a good year. By contrast probably a couple of thousand twayblade, ten good White Helleborine, a good half dozen fly starting to go over. Common spotted will have a good year, just coming into flower.

Flys by night

Military (and birds-nest) still doing well at Homefield; common spots coming into good flower; first one or two bees putting in an appearance; too many fly orchids, making it hard to get a picture without one in |=)|. Couple of chalk fragrant threatening to come into flower -- hadn't seen these here before.

Attachments

• FlyMilitary.JPG
    FlyMilitary.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 78
  • FlyCSO.jpg
    FlyCSO.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 94
Visting Ireland in the next couple of weeks so wondering if anyone could give me some good orchids spots for the antrim coast and the south Ireland on the west coast the area between Galway and limermick

many thanks

A good day, yesterday - Lesser Twayblade (4 flowering plants, a few more blind ones nearby) and a Greenish Warbler both within a couple of minutes of home.

The former surely *massively* overlooked. The latter annoyingly within a stone's throw of my garden, but still not gracing the garden list. Yet!

Jon

@dunnjons

Attachments

• 160605 Whalsay Lesser Tway.jpg
    160605 Whalsay Lesser Tway.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Bee Orchid found this morning 06/06/16 in Leicester outside Hockley Farm Medical Centre Hockley Farm Road Braunstone Leicester.2 nice plants in flower.Grid reference SK5515203928 Postcode LE3 1HN Grid Reference 6 Digit SK551039

Last edited:
Visting Ireland in the next couple of weeks so wondering if anyone could give me some good orchids spots for the antrim coast and the south Ireland on the west coast the area between Galway and limermick

many thanks

The whole area bounded by the N67 and the M18 Motorway is very rich for a botanist. I found that driving round the lanes close to the R476 north from Ennis, and the R460 , and all the lanes round the Burren National Park.
Along the shore of Lough Gealain (just south of the unmistakable Mullogh More) - Fly, OKellyi, fields nearby had Bee.... Just explore fields you're allowed into and the the patches in the middle of the karst.
And don't just worry about orchids (I found 12 spp in mid-June) - there are SO many other beautiful flowers to se...and the landscape is a marvel!
David

Bee Orchids just coming out in Surrey most in bud; the Man Orchids are just starting to go over; White Helleborines just going over; Chalk Fragrant any stage between full bud and prime condition.

Can anyone tell me whats out at Gait Barrows at the moment please? Am thinking of heading up there this Saturday. Any LSO still out or are they finished? Presumably Northern marsh are flowering now? Anything else of interest?
Cheers
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back