• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Hi, Sword-leaved Helleborine looking good at Talkin Tarn, Cumbria despite the incredibly dry conditions. Counted eight spikes without entering the enclosure, one outside, on the mound due N. of enclosure. Northern Marsh O. flowering there also. Chris

Locate several Lesser Twayblade flower stalks near Loch Garten, yesterday. (Aided by information obtained from an internet search that was many years old - I was pleased they were still there. May be more but midges were out in-force so didn't spent too much time looking). Thank-you for original information. Phil

300+ bee orchids on a site in Cardiff Bay with 3 var belgarum. Pyramidal orchid still in bud. A scattering of southern marsh and common spotted orchids, most still a week off flowering.

Sussex update

Musk just coming out at Noar Hill though not many ,pale coloured fly still flowering strongly two spikes but perhaps this will be the last week of good flowers. CSO and Chalk fragrance just coming out

SLH just going over at Chappetts and Birds nest at their best now C damasonia full out with many open flowers.

Any one seen any epipactis in flower yet Bristol area?

Attachments

• IMG_9727.jpg
    IMG_9727.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_9553.jpg
    IMG_9553.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 128
Sussex summer at last

Castle Hill NNR already has an abundance of fragrant orchids and common spotted orchids in flower - summer downand flora and fauna at its best.

PS CornishExile - trying to send you PM, but your PM box is full

Kenfig Fen orchids

A brief afternoon visit to Kenfig today. 10 fen orchids found in the main wet slack. There seems to be fewer this year. The areas I had plants in previous years are quite dry this year. One fen orchid has come up right next to an early marsh orchid making a nice photo opportunity.

Plenty of early marsh orchid, southern marsh orchid and common twayblade. Pyramidal just coming into flower. One early purple orchid still in good condition.

Chlorantha Bee Orchids

Some chlorantha bee orchids in Suffolk today....

Attachments

• chlorantha.jpg
    chlorantha.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 103
  • chlorantha2.jpg
    chlorantha2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 121
Musk just coming out at Noar Hill though not many ,pale coloured fly still flowering strongly two spikes but perhaps this will be the last week of good flowers. CSO and Chalk fragrance just coming out

SLH just going over at Chappetts and Birds nest at their best now C damasonia full out with many open flowers.

Any one seen any epipactis in flower yet Bristol area?

Bit early for any epipactis yet I would have thought, and Bristol not well known for them, what did you have in mind?

Rich M

Somerset update

Great little wood near taunton with lovely glades today loads of GBO and also LBO -lovely tall woodland type , bee,CSO (several albinos)BNO and twayblades

GBO and LBO and BNO in full flower now

david

Castle Hill NNR already has an abundance of fragrant orchids and common spotted orchids in flower - summer downand flora and fauna at its best.

PS CornishExile - trying to send you PM, but your PM box is full

All sorted - sorry about that. Too much time on the road and not enough online housekeeping!

ce

Can anyone PM small white orchid and lesser twayblade details in mid wales, I will be there at the weekend

We'll be in Mid and South Wales late June, any hints on where to go appreciated. Already going to Vicarage and Kenfig.

Thanks
Dave and Liz

A good day yesterday, despite the rain, with a count of 107 Bee Orchids at Brascote Pits, Leics.

There's quite a large patch of hybrid orchids at this site, and as Common Spotteds occur as well, it's not unreasonable to hope that Southern Marsh would be around somewhere. A bit of searching likely areas turned up about 10 specimens.

Attachments

• bee orchid jun 12 2016 1.jpg
    bee orchid jun 12 2016 1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 92
  • southern marsh orchid jun 12 2016 1.jpg
    southern marsh orchid jun 12 2016 1.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 107
  • southern marsh orchid jun 12 2016 2.jpg
    southern marsh orchid jun 12 2016 2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 94
Many Thanks for the help with SWO and LT in Wales, I have another slightly off topic request, I will be on Snowdon over the weekend so if anyone has any details of where to find Snowdon Lily a PM would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Can anyone please pm me information on the flowering state of the North Somerset Lizard orchids. My records show I visited on the 27 June last year and I wondered if that would be around the right time for this year. Thanks in advance.

Peebles

I will be in Peebles for a few days this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions please for nearby orchid sites that I might visit?

Anything gratefully received.

Thanks

A Moment of delight!

Having had a wonderful time at Waitby Greenriggs earlier in the week, spotting 10 different orchids including Fly, Lesser Butterfly and a Rhodochila, we had a special moment at our local rubbish dump (recycling centre) this afternoon. On a small patch of waste ground as we were driving out of the dump, we spotted one tall solitary Bee Orchid in fine fettle! Needless to say we did not have a camera with us!

It just goes to show if you keep your eyes open, you may spot an orchid almost anywhere! :hi:

Last edited:
Spent some time in Norfolk this week for Butterflies, Dragonflies and, of course, Orchids. The Fen Orchids are now out and showing well but beware the site is very wet with standing water around the plants. Seemed more this year in the area I visited which is great to see. I have attached a couple of photos.

Off up to Chester next weekend and was wondering if someone could PM me any information for Small White Orchid , Lesser Twayblade in mid-north Wales.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Fen-Orchid-Liparis-loeselii-loeselii.jpg
    Fen-Orchid-Liparis-loeselii-loeselii.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Fen-Orchid-Liparis-loeselii-loeselii02.jpg
    Fen-Orchid-Liparis-loeselii-loeselii02.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 131
Great day yesterday travelled up from Devon to kenfig where about 14 fens in one slack, loads of early marsh in various colours and southern marsh and marsh helleborine just coming into flower. Then to Berrow dunes for the lizard orchid fully out just off footpath , Polden Hills for GBO, bee and v,trolli and then Shapwick heath for marsh fragrant and frog.
Anyone know if Cotswold C.Rubra is showing at all within its fortress? please let me know if out. Also any sites for Heath fragrant in new Forest and news on whether the bog orchid is out there yet (or when expected -I think early July) gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back