• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

:bounce:
Thank you.
And you keep Mallorca thread alive!!

Thank you Cristina and good luck for the coming season.
Thank you for all you do for us birders, giving a great service to all visitors and for keeping us up-to-date with all the latest sightings.
La Gola continues to attract not only a good selection of species, but rare ones too.
A Rock Pipit was seen at the end of last year, yet another rarity for this little gem of a reserve.
Mike

Arrived back in Mallorca on Monday. Met Kevin early at Depuradora where we saw Bluethroat to the left of the platform on the concrete by the sluice. Moved on to Albufera where we saw very few waders, 2 Temmincks stints, 7 avocet and little else until the kingfisher arrived and made our day. It’s good to be back.

Went to Son Real with Kevin and Mike Swiss for the day. Within 5 minutes we had a Hawfinch at the drinking pond followed not long after by a Sparrowhawk. In all we saw 18 species from the hide including blackcap, serin and crossbill. We then walked down to the beach and saw turnstones, Kentish plover, thekla lark and a kingfisher perched on the seaweed on the shore line. Back along the beach to the platform and we had the most amazing views of 2 Balearic Warblers one of which came within 2 feet (600 mm) of us calling all the while. It stayed for around 10 minutes before we decided to move on and leave them in peace. All 3 of us managed excellent photos which we will try and post. A memorable visit where we even managed mild sun burn on a beautiful day out in mid February, meanwhile it is snowing in Newcastle!! As Kevin keeps reminding us “these are the days”.

Sounds like a perfect day out David.
I wish I’d had such stunning views of both Kingfisher and Balearic warblers.
Look forward to seeing the photos. All those visitors who ask about how to see Balearic Warbler well will be very envious.
Glad you are back and I hope to see you at the weekend.
Mike

and a kingfisher perched on the seaweed on the shore line.

Just for info (and in case it's of interest) it's actually the remains of Posidonia, which is a seagrass, not a seaweed (algae).

A very useful (i.e. essential) plant of the shallow water ecosystem and one that is under pressure from yachts, motor cruisers, etc., that anchor in the bays and rip up vast areas of the underwater meadows.

The piles of vegetation at the sea edge are also essential and help keep the sandy beaches from being washed away by winter storms.

Great pics.

Martin

Thanks to Kevin and Davey.
A few photos

Attachments

• 60B905B5-29D7-4BE0-B6AD-32F975650AC9.jpeg
    60B905B5-29D7-4BE0-B6AD-32F975650AC9.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 57
  • C8A0CBE7-DF11-43A1-BA17-AA26718CDF73.jpeg
    C8A0CBE7-DF11-43A1-BA17-AA26718CDF73.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 212782EB-85F5-47F5-971F-4987E4DE82AF.jpeg
    212782EB-85F5-47F5-971F-4987E4DE82AF.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 045427F6-1AF8-4E32-86F7-0FB756CD3199.jpeg
    045427F6-1AF8-4E32-86F7-0FB756CD3199.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
It is a year ago today that I first met Kevin H and Mike Swiss. We were introduced online by Mike Mintier through the wonders of this forum and spent a day together at Albufera. Since then we have met many times, seen around 150 species together and had many laughs. This week after Albufera on Tuesday and Son Real yesterday we decided to take in the joys of Mortix today. After a solitary brambling, stone curlew, cirl bunting and several hundred black redstart at the vineyards we saw a pair of peregrine perched on the cliff tops, 2 griffin vulture and a kestrel. On the way up to the reservoir we saw several blackcap before 2 Bonellis eagles appeared together and gave great views against the blue skies. Near the refuge, where we stopped to eat our lunch, we saw firecrest and crossbill before starting the return journey down the valley. Fairly soon we saw the 2 Bonellis again, about an hour after the first sighting, before seeing blue rock thrush and black vulture. In between we had several views of mistle thrush in addition to song thrush. We called in at the Pont Roma bar at Pollenca and sat outside with a coffee whilst watching black and griffon vulture together with red kite. After dropping Mike off in the Port Kevin and I went on to Albufereta and saw around a dozen little ringed plover and several
Hope on the way in. The main ponds had around 90 flamingo and a few marsh harrier before a black kite appeared and kept us entertained for 15 minutes or so. From the new hide we saw greenshank, at least 4 pintail and 3 great white egrets. We finished off the day with a pint in the Port whilst making plans for tomorrow. A year to the day since our first meeting, this was surely one of the best days yet, a real raptor day. Hopefully we have many more to come. Attached is a poor photo of a Bonellis, in all the excitement it was the best I could manage. Thank you to the Mikes (M&S) and to Kevin H. 1653582B-6175-49CB-92A6-2B948DF631C5.jpeg

Mike (Montier) apologies for misspelling your name. It’s been a long hot day in the field for us northern Geordie hill folk. See you Saturday
I see I also got Hoopoe wrong!!

Thank you David, you have captured the essence of birding here in Mallorca perfectly. Meeting other birders, seeing great birds, not taking things too seriously, learning and laughing together and enjoying everything that this wonderful Island has to offer.
I’m very proud to be part of it all.
Mike

After the highs of the previous 3 days it was always going to be difficult to maintain that level of momentum and so today proved. 40+ black necked grebes at Bassa de Can Guidet brightened the morning as did the many Little Ringed Plover near the airport. We saw 5 turnstones and 3 audouins gulls on the beach at Can Pastilla but little else. The area near Villafranca produced many singing corn buntings, kestrels, goldfinches, linnets, greenfinches and red legged partridges but sadly no southern shrike despite us looking for around 3 hours in 2 separate visits. Tomorrow is another day!!

Small groups of both Barn Swallows and a few House Martins are now being seen so migration is under-way.
Black kites are early too and a couple have been seen.
I spent much of the weekend in the company of our semi-resident British birders, David, Mike and Kevin and we saw some great birds.
A splendid male Garganey was a highlight as were two Temminck’s stints, Ruff, Glossy Ibis, Hen Harrier, Kingfisher, Tufted Duck and Marbled Duck.
A short visit to Maristany produced Mute swan and at Albufereta there was a Spoonbill.
All top fun
Mike

Last edited:
A grey old day with a cold north wind but I thought a seawatch would be worth a go.
724 Balearic shearwaters passed by in just over two hours and one Yelkouan shearwater was in with one group, overtaking them and looking very distinctive in comparison.
Two Gannets flying together in the gloom but no sign of any Scopoli’s shearwaters yet.
Looking back on previous years, I have always logged them by now so I’m surprised not to have seen a single one yet this year.
Mike

Hi John.
You will be in the right place at the right time. A month sounds good!
You will be near some great birding sites, Albufera, Son Real and the depuradora at Albufera off the road to Muro.
Also, if you can get to Pollença, there are many excellent sites there like the Bóquer Valley and Albufereta and La Gola. It will be the best time for Warbler migration, anywhere along the coast near where you are should be worth exploring.
Golden orioles and Rollers will be around and a few surprises I’m sure.
This thread will keep you up to date with what’s around and I know there are people on this forum who know about public transport.
I hope they respond.
All the best for your trip, some good birding awaits.
Mike

Last edited:
Hello John in Ireland. Excellent website you have. If you are staying at Can Picafort you will be able to use the bus running along the coast to Port de Pollenca. The entrance to Boquer Valley is just a few minutes walk from the bus station. The same bus stops right outside the entrance to Albufera reserve. It also stops very close to Albufereta reserve. Depending upon which end of Can Picafort you are staying you can easily access Son Real reserve from the beach, it is at the southern end of the resort next to Son Baulo. From Port de Pollenca bus station you can also get a connecting bus to Formentor. I am in Port de Pollenca for the first 2 weeks in April and I will send you a private message a little nearer the time. David

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back