• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory 8x56 FL has arrived - brief impressions on the first day (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

A very large box arrived at the school office yesterday and awaited my return from a class trip to a castle museum, the seaside, and a swimming pool. A much needed day out and I mention it because it put me in a relaxed frame of mind to appreciate the extravagant purchase on return.

I really don't NEED 8x56 binoculars but the example for sale on eBay looked excellent and came from a meticulous seller so on impulse I decided to risk it. This was something that could either be an expensive mistake or a brilliant tool to explore nature in the woods and during the dimmer hours when animals come out to play.

Here goes with the first impressions ... ...

1. The size of the box had me worried. This was some Leviathan and did I stand a chance of holding these things still in use? Comparative photos had already made 8x42 look like toy binoculars.

2. The box was packed so well there was no need to worry about breakage in transit. Teutonic care and thoroughness throughout. These binoculars weren't just made in Germany; they were sourced from Germany. Stickers saying 'BRUCHGEFAHR! Nicht werfen! Vor Nässe schützen!' held an authority that was reassuring. Added to that, the seller had replied to an evening e-mail earlier in the week within 45 seconds -- and not an automated reply either. How's that for promptness and professionalism?

3. So much bubble wrap I didn't know where to put it all, till I decided it should go back in the box after the binocular package was taken out. Handy for sending anything off later for servicing. For instance the 1999 Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 to Gary at ECBR.

4. The 8x56 looked huge. Initially I wasn't sure I liked the feel of the FL-series outer finish. It did feel more plasticky than expected. To date my experience has been only with a loaned 8x42 SF, one each of beautifully rubber-armoured pocket and full-size Leica binoculars, and the recently acquired heavily rubber-armoured Dialyt.

5. Next to put the 8x56 straight to work in the nearby park where there are lots of flowers of all different colours as well as seagulls, ducks on the river, fast-moving lads playing football, dogs giving chase to them, and a variety of brick and stone in walls, arches, and a river bridge. It took a little while to adapt to a grip a bit further down towards the objective end than I am used to. Having done that and set the dioptre correction -- this was a no faff, quick exercise with the difference in sharpness easy to determine -- I was ready to do some proper viewing.

6. Balance improved without thinking too much about it. Looking was the best bit. In the way that certain camera lenses have that special something-factor, so the view through the 8x56 FL couldn't fail to bring a smile to my face. Everything looked so clear. Colours and foliage, stonework and signposts just popped.

7. Technical aspects such as chromatic aberration and edge sharpness - I didn't look and I didn't notice. Concentrating on finding good images, holding the binoculars to best effect, and enjoying them was what took my attention. And it felt good.

8. Holding the binoculars still was less difficult than I had worried it would be when pressing the 'buy' button. Sometimes I've found with cameras that the larger, heavier ones can feel better balanced and easier to handle. I'd rather hold this than the folding twin-hinge pocket 8x20s I have. For a while anyway; it's no use pretending that these are easy to walk with round the neck or to hold over a period of time.

9. The outer finish grew on me. Still not my favourite for grip but the ridges help and by holding closer to the far end than usual the bins just feel easier to handle.

10. The focus wheel: a bit raspy but I've read of this before with FLs of various sizes and also that they tend to loosen up in use. A minor point that can presumably be put right later if necessary.

11. What else? Colour comes through great. Neutral to my eyes but exciting at the same time. Nicely saturated. Contrast looked good and features that were indistinct to my naked eyes in the evening shadows showed up clearly defined through the glass. Finding focus was not a problem. After the first few attempts no see-sawing was needed either side of sharp focus to get it right.

12. Close focus. I have to admit I'm not a close focus freak but I found some slightly decayed wooden laths along a brick wall and aimed the binoculars at them from close up at a 45 degree angle. Various nails, screws, cobwebs, and a few clematis flowers featured along these laths and I can only presume that the wide aperture of the 8x56s was what made it easy to focus on these details while the nearer and further stretches of the laths dissolved in a pleasing out of focus blur. The actual focused distance was not noted.

13. What I thought on returning home:

I am sure there is much else that could be mentioned. But what you read here is enough to convince me these are great binoculars for my own pleasure and that while they are not the sort of weight or size that encourages daily use neither are they something to shy away from on grounds of difficulty of use. The 8x56 FL binoculars are a tool that will repay each outing with clear viewing and a good deal of pleasure. Using them in proper low-light conditions is an experience I have yet to look forward to but on the basis of this first outing that should be a good experience.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back