• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad picture, hopefully someone can figure this out, SE PA April 2014 (1 Viewer)

jmercer

While doing a hawk watch, I saw this bird fly way over my head and figured it was not a goose or a DC Cormorant, so I took a quick shot. Unfortunately, it was a gray day and this was the best I could do. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? We also ruled out Sandhill Crane, it looks nothing like the one that went by the next day.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 177
Double-crested? Cormorant. The tails too long, and 'diamond' shaped for either a goose or a crane. Apart from a vagrant Anhinga, nothing else flies with its neck outstretched and has a tail that fits.

More pictures

I am attaching pictures I took this week from the same sight, same cloudy conditions of what I ided as Cormorants. They are quite different from the first bird, that is why I am so confused.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 40
All your photos are of Double-crested Cormorants. Since you photographed them from different angles and they were in different stages of flapping, they look a little different.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back