• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7 / 8 x 42 EDG experiences sought (1 Viewer)

IMO I still feel the EDG's I had were less bright than some of the other alpha's I have compared them too and especially to a high transmission porro like the Habicht. It could be mine were new old stock because I purchased them off Ebay from Japanese sellers. I just highly doubt that Nikon would upgrade the coatings on the EDG when they won't even fix the objective covers that have been loose forever. I think dim or dark is probably the wrong word to use. The EDG is not really dark it is just less bright and I believe two or three other members agreed with me even though Tobias changed his opinion after sampling a newer pair. They could be that way for a reason because there are always tradeoff's in the design of binoculars. Perhaps for better contrast or some other reason. In other areas like glare control they are exceptional. All binoculars even alpha's have their strong and weak points. The 8x32 SV is weak in glare control but It is still one of my favorite binoculars overall. You have to choose the binocular that checks the biggest percentage of your boxes. None will check all your boxes. Kind of like picking a wife!. It is easy to see why the EDG is "dead" in the marketplace. It is because of Nikon's lousy customer service and support. If I am going to pay $2K for a pair of binoculars I want superior customer service and support like Swarovski gives you and most people do. That is why you don't see ANY birder's carrying EDG's and the majority are carrying Swaro's. I want a company that will send me a new objective cover when I lose one in the field without having to send my binoculars in for repair. I want a company that is concerned that the objective covers fit correctly on my binocular so they don't fall off in the field. I have had Swarovski send me replacement eye cups for my Habicht, cases, straps and even binocular harness's at no charge. The only reason I bought the EDG's I did was because I got them for 1/2 price and I wanted to try them. Personally, I would never pay full retail for an EDG but I would a Swarovski or Zeiss. I would still buy a mid-priced Nikon like the M7, MHG, or EII because they are a good value but as far as I am concerned Nikon is not competitive in the alpha market. Obviously Nikon thinks so to because they have withdrawn the EDG from the market.

Patudo
"but - to my eyes anyway - not as bright. I'm sure the light transmission figures are in the same ball park as the other top makers, so this may be due to Nikon favouring the red spectrum or (as has been commented upon) Swarovski for instance not baffling their binoculars to the same degree. "

Canip
"Separately, I have several times compared the EDG 7x42 with two other top 7x42s, the Zeiss FL and the Leica HD Plus (no detailed tests, just brief side by side reviews). And there, I got the clear impression that the EDG lacks the brightness of either the Victory or the Ultravid.
Otherwise, the image is everything you could wish for, but in terms of image brightness, the 7x EDG in my eyes is a clear number 3 behind its two competitors. The difference isn‘t huge, but a certain „lack of brilliance“ struck me each time."

James Holdsworth
"In my brief usage of the EDG 10X42, I disliked the distinct warm [reddish] colour bias."

Ultimately one has to ask one's self "Who cares what "X". "Y" or "Z" likes about the "Color bias" or "Brightness" of a binocular?

It is purely a subjective opinion.

Pay no attention to it and decide what binocular you like by trying them yourself; choose one accordingly and don't look back. Your opinion is as good as anybody else! :king:

Bob

Last edited:
I agree with you. I was trying to explain my issues with them.You guy's are saying they are just as bright but here are 4 people that say it is not so so I think the popular consensus is they are not as bright. The main problem with the EDG's is just lack of customer support and almost disinterest in them by Nikon. That is why they died. It will be interesting to see if Nikon ever replaces them with anything in the Alpha category or if they just keep manufacturing mid-priced stuff.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I was trying to explain my issues with them. The main problem with the EDG's is just lack of customer support and almost disinterest in them by Nikon. That is why they died. It will be interesting to see if Nikon ever replaces them with anything in the Alpha category or if they just keep manufacturing mid-priced stuff.

One does get the impression sport optics are not where Nikon's heart is from such experiences. Iirc, there was a post of BF some years back from a birder who visited the sport optics office in Japan and was struck by the modest scale and appearance of the place. So perhaps not high in the corporate pecking order.
Still, the WX imho was the most worthy 100th anniversary product of the entire enterprise, so that group can hold its head high, even if its resources are scant.

I agree with you. I was trying to explain my issues with them. The main problem with the EDG's is just lack of customer support and almost disinterest in them by Nikon. That is why they died. It will be interesting to see if Nikon ever replaces them with anything in the Alpha category or if they just keep manufacturing mid-priced stuff.

Dennis,

As i pointed our a number of times I received excellent customer warranty support from Nikon when I had problems with my 10x32 EDG I and Monarch HG 8x42 so that is not an issue with me.

As far as Nikon expressing "disinterest" in the EDGs that is pure nonsense! Otherwise Nikon would not have replaced the EDG I with the EDG II to correct the problems the former had with its coverings.

And they didn't die! They were discontinued at the end of Nikon's 100th Anniversary year after being marketed for 10 years along with a lot of lower priced Nikon binoculars.

These are business decisions. There will be another series of Nikon Alpha binoculars in the near future. Nikon needs a flagship just like Zeiss does. These are not small exclusive corporations catering to the wealthy like Swarovski and Leica are.

Remember those special editions of Swarovski's 8x30 Habichts that were sold to the Sheiks of Araby a few years ago? It was written about here on Bird Forum.

Bob

Last edited:
Question:
How much can a porro prism binocular unbiasedly tested 07/2012 by spectrometer to transmit 89.8% of light with a transmission spectrum to rival a SV 8.5X42 be improved? Think about it.

If I were evaluating a binocular with the above results and came my OWN conclusion said binocular was "dim" or "dark," I would immediately suspect the particular binocular in my possession(get a different unit) OR myself.

Dennis,

As i pointed our a number of times I received excellent customer warranty support from Nikon when I had problems with my 10x32 EDG I and Monarch HG 8x42 so that is not an issue with me.

As far as Nikon expressing "disinterest" in the EDGs that is pure nonsense! Otherwise Nikon would not have replaced the EDG I with the EDG II to correct the problems the former had with its coverings.

And they didn't die! They were discontinued at the end of Nikon's 100th Anniversary year after being marketed for 10 years along with a lot of lower priced Nikon binoculars.

These are business decisions. There will be another series of Nikon Alpha binoculars in the near future. Nikon needs a flagship just like Zeiss does. These are not small exclusive corporations catering to the wealthy like Swarovski and Leica are.

Remember those special editions of Swarovski's 8x30 Habichts that were sold to the Sheiks of Araby a few years ago? It was written about here on Bird Forum.

Bob
Those Sheik's know a good binocular when they see one and they can afford anything. Being discontinued to me is the same as dying, especially since Nikon has not introduced a new alpha to replace the EDG. I don't see any guarantee that they will because they had such dismal success with the EDG. They probably learned from their mistake that people are not willing to pay more than $2k for a NIkon EDG especially when it is not supported or the bugs are not ironed out of it like the ill fitting objective covers. The main reason Nikon came out with the EDG II was possible trademark lawsuits from Swarovski because the EDG I was to close in design not so much the loose armour or drifting diopter although I will give them credit for correcting those deficiencies. Your experience may differ but I have never had near the customer service and warranty support I have had with Nikon as I have had with Swarovski and I have had a LOT of dealings with both of them.

Those Sheik's know a good binocular when they see one and they can afford anything. Being discontinued to me is the same as dying, especially since Nikon has not introduced a new alpha to replace the EDG. I don't see any guarantee that they will because they had such dismal success with the EDG. They probably learned from their mistake that people are not willing to pay more than $2k for a NIkon EDG especially when it is not supported or the bugs are not ironed out of it like the ill fitting objective covers. The main reason Nikon came out with the EDG II was possible trademark lawsuits from Swarovski because the EDG I was to close in design not so much the loose armour or drifting diopter although I will give them credit for correcting those deficiencies. Your experience may differ but I have never had near the customer service and warranty support I have had with Nikon as I have had with Swarovski and I have had a LOT of dealings with both of them.

I never could understand why anybody in their right mind would pay $2000.00 for any binocular when one can find demos and closeouts for much less money with a little patience.

I never paid anywhere near $2000.00 for a binocular.

In fact my brand new 10x32 EDG I cost me $999.00 and Nikon threw in an SLR Camera with a Zoom lens with it. I used the binocular for 4 years and returned it to Nikon because of the cover problems and Nikon sent me a brand new 10x32 EDG II as a replacement for no charge.

I also got great deals on my Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL and my Swarovski SLC 7x42 B.

I almost forgot the Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN I purchased new for $700.00 from Cabelas after it was discontinued.

Bob

IMO I still feel the EDG's I had were less bright than some of the other alpha's I have compared them too and especially to a high transmission porro like the Habicht. It could be mine were new old stock because I purchased them off Ebay from Japanese sellers. I just highly doubt that Nikon would upgrade the coatings on the EDG when they won't even fix the objective covers that have been loose forever. I think dim or dark is probably the wrong word to use. The EDG is not really dark it is just less bright and I believe two or three other members agreed with me even though Tobias changed his opinion after sampling a newer pair. They could be that way for a reason because there are always tradeoff's in the design of binoculars. Perhaps for better contrast or some other reason. In other areas like glare control they are exceptional. All binoculars even alpha's have their strong and weak points. The 8x32 SV is weak in glare control but It is still one of my favorite binoculars overall. You have to choose the binocular that checks the biggest percentage of your boxes. None will check all your boxes. Kind of like picking a wife!. It is easy to see why the EDG is "dead" in the marketplace. It is because of Nikon's lousy customer service and support. If I am going to pay $2K for a pair of binoculars I want superior customer service and support like Swarovski gives you and most people do. That is why you don't see ANY birder's carrying EDG's and the majority are carrying Swaro's. I want a company that will send me a new objective cover when I lose one in the field without having to send my binoculars in for repair. I want a company that is concerned that the objective covers fit correctly on my binocular so they don't fall off in the field. I have had Swarovski send me replacement eye cups for my Habicht, cases, straps and even binocular harness's at no charge. The only reason I bought the EDG's I did was because I got them for 1/2 price and I wanted to try them. Personally, I would never pay full retail for an EDG but I would a Swarovski or Zeiss. I would still buy a mid-priced Nikon like the M7, MHG, or EII because they are a good value but as far as I am concerned Nikon is not competitive in the alpha market. Obviously Nikon thinks so to because they have withdrawn the EDG from the market.

Patudo
"but - to my eyes anyway - not as bright. I'm sure the light transmission figures are in the same ball park as the other top makers, so this may be due to Nikon favouring the red spectrum or (as has been commented upon) Swarovski for instance not baffling their binoculars to the same degree. "

Canip
"Separately, I have several times compared the EDG 7x42 with two other top 7x42s, the Zeiss FL and the Leica HD Plus (no detailed tests, just brief side by side reviews). And there, I got the clear impression that the EDG lacks the brightness of either the Victory or the Ultravid.
Otherwise, the image is everything you could wish for, but in terms of image brightness, the 7x EDG in my eyes is a clear number 3 behind its two competitors. The difference isn‘t huge, but a certain „lack of brilliance“ struck me each time."

James Holdsworth
"In my brief usage of the EDG 10X42, I disliked the distinct warm [reddish] colour bias."

Dennis: You have made your point, now stop the Nikon bash, you are way
over quota.

Nip it !

Jerry

The only binoculars I paid $2K for were the newer Swarovski SV FP's. The SV FP 8.5x42, SV FP 8x32 and the SV FP 10x32. They are hard to get at discount but they hold their value pretty well. I paid less than $1100.00 for all the EDG's I had including the 8x32 EDG, 8x42 EDG, 7x42 EDG and the 10x32 EDG. Probably sold them all for around $1K so I didn't lose a ton of money on them. The EDG's are a great value especially now that the price has dropped with the Japanese importers on Ebay discounting them almost 50% I just prefer the SV's for their sharper edges, bigger FOV's, more neutral color bias that appear brighter to my eyes, better accessories and better customer support. I don't mean to "Bash" the EDG's because they are overall excellent binoculars and better than the SV's in controlling flare. I just became frustrated with them with the problems I had with my last pair.

Last edited:
The current Monarch ED spotting scopes shouldn't be underestimated, but they may also founder from a lack of marketing support. They've been around for over two years, but little has been written about them and there are very few reviews. Most people (like me until a few weeks ago) probably assume they are just another line of mid-priced scopes. When I recently tested the $1600 angled 82mm Monarch ED I was astonished to find it to be one of the very best birding telescopes I've ever encountered. The unit I tested was not just as good as the so called "alpha" scopes, it was better than all but a very few cherry specimens. Nikon USA continues its run of stupid marketing by making the scope bodies available only in combination with the standard field width zoom or a fixed 38x with a reticle for hunters. The wide field zoom and fixed 38x without reticle have to be purchased separately. Who wants to to be forced to buy two 20-60x eyepieces?

I think part of the problem was Nikon cast the die for low expectation by naming the successor to the Fieldscopes "Monarch" instead of say, Fieldscope II. Maybe that's why you, me, and probably many others haven't paid much attention to them along with Nikon's lack of promotion and explaining what the scope might be. A true successor to the Fieldscope with the same optical train but a new body allowing improved, bayonet type EPs.

When I first read your comments about the Monarch scope in the thread "Should I Upgrade my Scope" it first surprised me but then it started to make sense. The Monarchs are 60 and 82 mm scopes with helical focusers, just like Fieldscopes. The guts of these scopes may be the same, at least design wise. The ocular mount had to be changed for their new EPs, but Nikon already had a winning formula.

Leave it to Nikon however to pluck failure from the jaws of success by marketing people who don't understand their job. No plain body, and bundles that only include the less desirable zoom and the fixed EP with a reticle view. If one wants the scope with their very promising 30-60 wide field zoom, you have to overcome that hurdle first which, speaking for me anyway, tends to take some of the wind out of your sails.

Still, I'm intrigued and await your written evaluation of these scopes.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,

While the oversized Schmidt prism has been retained from the Fieldscopes the focal length of the Monarch 82ED appears to be a little shorter than the 82mm Fieldscope, so maybe similar but not identical.

The standard zoom doesn't limit the quality of the center field image, but it has a bit more lateral color than the best zooms (similar to the Fieldscope 25-75x MC). Whether the 30x60 wide angle is any better or worse remains to be seen.

Henry

Leave it to Nikon however to pluck failure from the jaws of success by marketing people who don't understand their job.

Cheers

This sums up Nikon Sports Optics marketing about perfectly. To see it any other way is just plain denial. The two best (arguably?) products they've ever made were subject to absolutely terrible support.

Hey Kevin,

While the oversized Schmidt prism has been retained from the Fieldscopes the focal length of the Monarch 82ED appears to be a little shorter than the 82mm Fieldscope, so maybe similar but not identical.

The standard zoom doesn't limit the quality of the center field image, but it has a bit more lateral color than the best zooms (similar to the Fieldscope 25-75x MC). Whether the 30x60 wide angle is any better or worse remains to be seen.

Henry

Interesting about shortening the focal length. I'm now curious as to why that might be.

I figured the std zoom would be a good performer down the middle.
I'm hoping you have a chance to compare the 20-60 zoom against the 30-60.

Bob, since the EDG is so good, and as I said before I agree that it is, why didn't Nikon market these as they should have?

JG,

I have no idea. I don't even know if they did market them correctly or not because I have no experience in marketing.

I assume you do and I have been waiting for your analysis of Nikon's marketing errors in selling their binoculars amd scopes as the case may be.

Bob

Last edited:
I think dim or dark is probably the wrong word to use. The EDG is not really dark it is just less bright and I believe two or three other members agreed with me...

Hi,

I agree with Dennis on this point!
I have the 7x42 EDG and 8x32 EDG in use, in direct comparison, the 7x42 is visibly darker than the Zeiss Victory T* FL 7x42, that 8x32 EDG is also a bit darker than the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 and the Zeiss Victory 8x32!
Nevertheless, the EDG's have very good optical properties and the somewhat low brightness has never bothered me.
The lens caps are actually a mean disaster and that with both binoculars ...:egghead:

Andreas

JG,

I have no idea. I don't even know if they did market them correctly or not because I have no experience in marketing.

I assume you do and I have been waiting for your analysis of Nikon's marketing errors in selling their binoculars amd scopes as the case may be.

Bob

You've filled this thread with one excuse after another on behalf of Nikon's elementary sport optics marketing skills......so you tell me.

How should they have marketed them? I had no problem getting mine. They were introduced in the USA in 2007 or 2008 through the normal retail channels.

I bought a 10x32 EDG I in 2010 from Eagle Optics and registered it with Nikon. When it began having problems with the covering bubbling in 2014 I sent it back to Nikon under their Warranty. Nikon replaced it with a 10x32 EDG II version which I still own and use. The EDG II was introduced in Europe in 2010.

Allbinos discusses the two launches of the EDG binoculars at the beginning of their reviews of the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

I think Nikon has sold it's share of glass, so I really don't think they care what we think.

Andy w.
(Frequent EDG user)

You've filled this thread with one excuse after another on behalf of Nikon's elementary sport optics marketing skills......so you tell me.

JG,

I just told you in Post 94 that I knew nothing about marketing and asked for your analysis on how you would have handled Nikon's marketing errors.

If you have a reading comprehension problem I think we should drop this discussion now.

Bob

JG,

I just told you in Post 94 that I knew nothing about marketing and asked for your analysis on how you would have handled Nikon's marketing errors.

If you have a reading comprehension problem I think we should drop this discussion now.

Bob

OK, try this one...maybe you can keep from getting your feelers hurt.

I attended SCi and DSC hunting and outdoor shows for over 10 years, and still attend DSC. These shows draw 50,000+ attendees and several hundred exhibitors from all over the world to pitch their wares, including Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, S&B, Leica, Vortex, Meopta, and Nikon. All the big boys in the optics world are there with their elaborate booths and exhibits. I have yet to see the first Nikon EDG anything in the Nikon booth. They have most every other product they make there, but no EDG had ever graced the display of the Nikon booth. I don't care if you know diddly crap about marketing, a 6th grader can deduce with 100% certainty that this is NOT the way to get the public interested in your high $$$ product, or any product for that matter. By contrast I saw the first Swarovision at SCI in Las Vegas a few months before anyone even had one for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back