• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ukunda area (1 Viewer)

whats the ukunda area, south of mombasa like for bird watching and wildlife, i have read the north is better, is there things to see fairly local ?, any help please, we are going in november first time, thanks

There is really good birding nearby, in the Shimba Hills, though you would need a car/ There are also remnants of coastal forest in Diani; just a few kilometres away. Be warned: there is also a lot of crime around Ukunda; setting off on your own might not be such a great idea.

A little further south, at Ramisi River, I have seen things like White-backed Night-heron and African Finfoot.

Hi John,
Great to hear you will be at South coast. As much I would like to agree with Hanno above, Crime is everywhere in the world but I would not highten it as he "says", All I need to let you know if not to warn you, there you should expect beach boy along the beaches who will always solicit to get some business out of you in terms of activities and therefore if you happen to entertain them with activities you wish to do and go for them chances are you can cast your fingers why you when they way at times.

My advice is that at Simba Hills if you contact spinetail safaris in Watamu they could come down there to take you for an overnight birding at Shimba Hills or 2 which is worth taking. Here you can expect things like southern Banded snake eagle,African Crown Eagle,Siffling Cisticola,Chestnut fronted Helment Shrike,as well Ayers Hawk eagle among others as list could be endless but more important with mammals is the rare sabble antelope that is only seen here.
Wish you good luck down there.
Joseph
www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back