• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lack of leaves and where birds sleep (1 Viewer)

Denversuz

The past few months that we have been feeding the birds, many birds of all kinds resided in the trees aound our home. I could go outside very early in the morning to add seed to the feeders to the sounds of wonderful chirping and singing.
However now that the trees have lost their leaves and the birds have lost their "cover" it is so quiet at dawn. Where do they go? They do come back....well a smaller group do....later in the day and off and on.
It's just such a change.
We do have a large pine tree....maybe 25 feet and they like that. But don't seem to stay there.
I guess I am wondering where they are off to in the subs. of a big city like Denver.

Good observation! I can't answer definitely where the birds are, but I think you will have quite a few less birds around (assuming you are in CO), as many will go south for the winter. That means that not as many places are needed. I think that evergreen trees and bushes are their main place to hide out (day or night) in addition to tree holes, roosting houses (put up for roosting birds), and some other man-made structures possibly.

I think the birds may still be roosting away from your home in the morning. They may also be out foraging later in the day, and of course the total number around has decreased a lot, so it's not surprising you're seeing fewer birds. If you have evergreens, it will encourage them to use your feeder. I'm sure you'll still enjoy your visitors though they will be fewer for a few months.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back