• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iridescent Spanish Bird (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

Sorry not to have a photo posted for this one; I have no means of uploading from my camera right now. I am on a conference trip to Barcelona and had a free morning. The nearest green area is Montjuic, a modest hill on the coast in the city itself.

Half way up the hill I spotted a strikingly iridescent bird (the light was really good); a bit bigger than a starling, dark greenish blue body, purplish tail and head (although I guess it depends on how the light hits it). The eye is fairly big and yellow. Legs appear dark and the bill is fairly straight, stout, dark and about the length of the head. It wasn't too shy and at one point was scaenging by a waste bin. Overall the bird is dark and in dull light I would imaging looks black (the iridesence is similar to that seen on a Magpie, only stronger).

At first I thought, is this some kind of starling, but it has no spots and the head shape and eye colour seem wrong.. I will post a pic on Sunday when I get back, but meantime any ideas?

Sounds like a Glossy Starling to me. Think there are various species of Glossy Starling, but your description seems to fit Purple Glossy Starling. By no means an expert on these species though! Seem to remember an escape Purple Glossy Starling at Landguard a few years back?

Cheers

Andy J

Attachments

• PGS.bmp
    79.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I saw this Blue Eared Glossy Starling in Spain, near Marbella. Your bird sounds very similar, glossy purple/blue sheen to the head and body contrasting with a bottle green sheen on the flight feathers.

There are all sorts of birds flying feral in Spain apart from the better known waxbills, parakeets ets. In the same area between Marbella and Estepona I've seen flocks of Common Mynah and Superb Starling (and they are superb!) and a single blue budgie.

Attachments

• Blue Eared Glossy Starling 16 copy.jpg
    Blue Eared Glossy Starling 16 copy.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Alan Seaton said:
I saw this Blue Eared Glossy Starling in Spain, near Marbella. Your bird sounds very similar, glossy purple/blue sheen to the head and body contrasting with a bottle green sheen on the flight feathers.

There are all sorts of birds flying feral in Spain apart from the better known waxbills, parakeets ets. In the same area between Marbella and Estepona I've seen flocks of Common Mynah and Superb Starling (and they are superb!) and a single blue budgie.

Hmm looks a bit like both your suggestions! I'm sure therefore it is a Glossy Starling. I will have to see the photo properly on a PC screen to decide; will post on Sunday and thanks very much for both suggestions!

Neil

Spotless Starling is a good suggestion, and was one I considered at the time, Alistair (I knew the name but have never seen one). However, when I checked my Collins Bird Guide I realised that it wasn't, mainly because of the eye colour. In fact, part of the reason I was baffled was because there was nothing in the guide that matched! The fact that the Glossy Starlings are not native species explains that! Perhaps if there is a next edition it will have an updated section on introduced and feral species!

Spotless starlings, although glossy and showing some iridescence similar to a common starling do not appear particularly colourful in the field. The main impression is of a black starling that has been coated in hair gel. They look "oily". They are extremely common in Spain and draw attention to themselves by their loud, piercing whistle.

Here is one at Casares for comparison.

Attachments

• Spotless Starling 04 copy.jpg
    Spotless Starling 04 copy.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 152
Alan Seaton said:

Hi, here are the pics; not sure what type of Glossy Starling it is but is similar to the one in your picture. I would be interested to know what you think.

Neil

Attachments

• GlossyStar1.jpg
    GlossyStar1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 144
  • GlossyStar2.jpg
    GlossyStar2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 119
It's not the same as mine, Neil. I was however looking at recent photos of some glossy starlings earlier today, purely by coincidence, and I may be wrong, but it looks like a purple glossy starling.

Alan Seaton said:
It's not the same as mine, Neil. I was however looking at recent photos of some glossy starlings earlier today, purely by coincidence, and I may be wrong, but it looks like a purple glossy starling.

Yes, now that I compare it with Andy J's (much better quality) picture earlier in the thread I see what you mean; looks like his initial suggestion was correct! Thanks for your help.

Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back