• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worst ID Miscall (1 Viewer)

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
My one is from October 1991. Boquer Valley, Majorca. Large bird on distant mountain. Through bins I called Black Vulture. On looking through the scope turned out to be a Blue Rock Thrush. Mountain was much nearer than I thought. Anyone got a miscall to beat that?

Another pheasant one - male Golden Pheasant at Wolferton which turned out to be a lad on red motorcycle and wearing a yellow helmet.

and 6 people on our mini-bus ticked it!
Briefly.

I've ided a white fence post as a Little Egret - but I suspect I am not the only one.

I did once nearly dismiss a Bittern in bitterning posture as a rustic fence post. My excuse was it was nearly dark.

Lucky Birder said:
Anyone got a miscall to beat that?
Not one of mine, thankfully, but two very experienced birders once called a considerable number of people to view a Wryneck. When, after some time, someone commented that it might be dead, as it hadn't moved, it was approached - and turned out to be a dog turd.

CJW said:
Another pheasant one - male Golden Pheasant at Wolferton which turned out to be a lad on red motorcycle and wearing a yellow helmet.

Briefly.

That reminds me of one relayed to me by Mike Warren recently. Apparently a shout for a Houbara in Morocco turned out to be an Arab on a bicycle!

Not an ID miscall but one that caused a chuckle eventually.

My non birding sister in law joined my wife and I on a trip to Tichwell, her call of "Look at that RED KITE" caused all heads to turn and observe .......... a boy "flying a red kite"

You could have cut the silence with a knife

CJW said:

Briefly.

Male Montagu's harrier for grey motorcycle helmet nr. Kings Lynn, oiled blck-headed gull for white-winged black tern (but that was 31 years ago).

Lapwing as Hoopoe.
Lapwing as Temgmalm's Owl (at night - check it, thats very easy).
Plastic rubbish as Kingfisher.

Didn't beat some people who mistook cow for an Oystercatcher.

Once witnessed at Radipole an overexcited lady with ex-Soviet destroyer bridge binoculars scream "There it goes! It's flying!" as a bumblebee erupted from a dandelion behind which a Wryneck was skulking.

magpie as a rose colured starling on the way back from cannock i shouted rosy starling pointing at this magpie sitting on a sign post

CornishExile said:
Once witnessed at Radipole an overexcited lady with ex-Soviet destroyer bridge binoculars scream "There it goes! It's flying!" as a bumblebee erupted from a dandelion behind which a Wryneck was skulking.

Not far from Radipole (in a hide at Arne, Dorset) one wintry December day a woman (perhaps the same one... anyway, a 'plummy' National Trust-type) and her companion were admiring a bird they'd confidently identified as a sedge warbler. When the warden politely pointed out that the bird in question was in fact a wren the woman bellowed: 'If that's a wren then my a*** is a nutmeg!'

I've posted this before , but it's so good it's worth another airing...

I wasn't there, but this incident was told to me:

In a hide at Minsmere or Titchwell (can't remember which) a moustached army major type came into the hide and sat down next to some birders. Shortly after he began shouting

"Reedhawk"

The birders just stayed quiet. Then

"Another two Reedhawks"

They assumed he was into other wildlife - maybe dragonflies or something and let him carry on. Again

"A Reedhawk just infront of the hide"

Eventually one of the birders asked

"Sorry about this, but what are Reedhawks?"

The major type said

"This bird here. The wading bird with the red legs"

"But that's a Redshank" the birder said.

The major type then put his reading glasses on, looked at the picture of Redshank on the wall of the hide, and said

"Ah yes. So it is. A Reed Shank"!!!!!!!!!!!!

"No doubt innumerable plastic bag id's will soon come to light!!!!!!!" ;)

I seem to remember a rarity, a common plastic carrier bag, which was ticked as a Bittern by many a birder one day down South, until concern was raised about 8 hours later, regarding the non-movement of said "Bittern". When it was discovered that it was of the "plastic carrier bag" sub-species, many a birder denied "ticking" such an object.

Regards

Malky

I thought I was viewing a Raven that was walking very near the edge of a pond (I was on the far side of the pond). Turns out it was a Green Heron walking around in the water!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back