• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firecrest in North Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Springbok

Spotted a Firecrest in a large conifer tree at the bottom of my garden in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

I have read that the Firecrest is only found in the South East so I am confused !
There are several large well-established conifers around 10 to 12 metres in ht. and quite close together on the banks of the River Nidd. Although in a garden, we are in a rural setting with open fields adjacent and a conservation woodland on the opposite side of the river.
The Firecrest was on a branch about 1/2 metre above my head, so it was easy to identify, and did not seem at all bothered about my close proximity.
The call sounds like a short sharp "zit zit"

I guess like a lot of birds its area is creeping northwards (global warming?). They are stunning little birds.

Hi Springbok, Firecrests don,t just appear down South we get them oop North as well.
Lovely little birds and it is always a privilege to see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back